Doctor Who... Page 1,010

Quote: Jennie @ July 8 2013, 9:53 PM BST

But it's not about imposing values on anyone. I'm not saying there should be less Fast and the Furious. I'm saying there should be more interesting, sexy-because-they-are-intelligent-and-funny-and-can-shoot-a-gun women in movies.

Because it is not historical or factual and therefore tapping into male fantasies I guess. Which.. you know.. is good for mem maybenot for the socio-political point. I loved the Drew Barrymore cowgirl film so much.. er.. that I can't remember its name.

Quote: Jennie @ July 8 2013, 9:53 PM BST

But it's not about imposing values on anyone. I'm not saying there should be less Fast and the Furious. I'm saying there should be more interesting, sexy-because-they-are-intelligent-and-funny-and-can-shoot-a-gun women in movies.

I always thought that was rank tokenism.

Princess Leia choking Jabba whilst wearing a gold bikini.

'Sexy' doesn't mean 'in a bikini'. That's her whole point!

Quote: zooo @ July 8 2013, 9:42 PM BST

There are some very successful (and good) female action films. Kill Bill for one two.

Your answer to the Bechdel test is Kill Bill? A pair of movies about a woman's interactions with an ex boyfriend?

Quote: Marc P @ July 8 2013, 9:58 PM BST

Because it is not historical or factual and therefore tapping into male fantasies I guess. Which.. you know.. is good for mem maybenot for the socio-political point. I loved the Drew Barrymore cowgirl film so much.. er.. that I can't remember its name.

Even cowgirls get the blues?

Thelma and Louise or Alien both excellent thrillers with female leads.

But both structurally so diferent to more masculine thrillers.

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ July 8 2013, 10:01 PM BST

Your answer to the Bechdel test is Kill Bill? A pair of movies about a woman's interactions with an ex boyfriend?

I'm not talking about the Bechdel test. I've barely any idea what it is!
I'm just talking about female led action films.

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2013, 10:01 PM BST

Thelma and Louise or Alien both excellent thrillers with female leads.

Ripley was originally written as a male part. As was Lambert (the Veronica Cartwright character).

There was also a scene in which the two of them discuss how they've both slept with Dallas, Tom Skerrit's character, but it was cut.

Aliens, on the other hand, seems like quite a feminist film. It's all about the Ripley-Newt-Queen relationship. The male love interest barely gets a look in, and is ultimately sidelined.

Fit though.

Who even was the male love interest in Aliens? Hicks?

Quote: sootyj @ July 8 2013, 9:53 PM BST

What's wrong with feminism?

At the risk of sounding like a post feminist new man it's one of the most powerful and successful protest movements the worlds ever seen.

I agree. But the word has negative connotations - like rampant armpit hair and man hating.

Although there isn't anything wrong with armpit hair, if that's your bag.

I appear to have hijacked the Doctor Who thread. I apologise :(

Quote: Raymond Terrific @ July 8 2013, 10:18 PM BST

Who even was the male love interest in Aliens? Hicks?

Exactly. It was Hicks, but you can barely remember.

And I bet you can remember what Ripley says to the Queen.

Hicks was ace. If you're female (or gay) you'll definitely remember him. <3

Stay frosty, zooo.

This one?

Two Hicks!!!

*swoon*

Helps that he's also the love interest in Terminator.