Radio Sketch Project Page 2

David always fills his slots fast.

I think it was me who originally suggested putting together a radio comedy pilot but it never really took off, partly my own fault.

But anyway I'm still interested and have a fair few sketches already written for radio.

That's OK - it's only Charley we don't want.

I'm just thinking of the best way to do this. Try and get it organised before the new year. (Anyone who knows me would laugh at that)

I'm interested!
Unless I drop out.
Or unless you're only letting boys join your secret club.

Quote: zooo @ December 26, 2007, 1:13 PM

I'm interested!
Unless I drop out.
Or unless you're only letting boys join your secret club.

Well you've got a 'tache.

And I've had second thoughts about Charley with her dominatrix gloves - just so long as she doesn't insist on dominating it.

So that looks like - Steve, Blenkinsop, Baumski, Splodge, Fred, Michael, Roscoff, Charley, Zooo and Martin.

Oh - and me. I would think if each of you selects a couple of your sketches for now - don't post them yet - and then we'll talk.

Are you in too David B?

I'm interested too!

Id be interested in being involved. Though if the sketch project is anything to go by, then I look forward to starting work on it some time in late 2010!!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 26, 2007, 2:14 PM

Id be interested in being involved. Though if the sketch project is anything to go by, then I look forward to starting work on it some time in late 2010!!

You're too optimistic, we have to think realistically.

I can bring some props

Props needed:

Sheet of metal.
Pringles tube filled with Rice.
Triangle.
Doorbell.
Empty Crisp Packet.

I'm interested too Dave!

I think what we should do is decide on areas for one (or even two) sketch shows, because from memory a good few of the Radio 4 sketch shows which aren't writer/performer driven seem to have a kind of central theme running through.

'Yes Sir I Can Boogie' was about disability, 'The Right Time' was about the more senior folk among us, 'Museum of Everything' was about a museum with no end of possible attractions and 'Down The Line' is effectively a more inventive attempt at a sketch show while in the disguise of a radio phone in.

What those themes are though I don't know but I suppose we can work them out, we might even have a bunch of sketches written amongst us already that may tie into something...

I agree that thee's probably already stuff on here we can use- with permission.

There were a couple of themed radio sketch shows I remember such as Roy Hudd and Jeff Green and Frank Muir although the last 2 compiled old sketches.

So that looks like - Steve, Blenkinsop, Baumski, Splodge, Fred, Michael, Roscoff, Charley, Zooo, Martin, Lee, Matthew, Nuts, Jude and me.

Let's think of a theme then. I know on TV you've got Rush Hour which linked them together. Obviously there are other constraints as there are no real constraints. Anything visual has to be hinted at and words and sounds take lts place.

I always try to link my sketches into the next one when I write a sketch show script, in a very Monty Python/Mr Show way, I think it just gives a better flow and structure to the show rather than just a bunch of random sketches stuck together.

Personally I wouldn't want a theme that totally restricts what we can do. I think a good mix of styles can often work when structured well. I like to do quite clever and satirical sketches but hidden beneath quite silly and outlandish ideas yet you still get the point that is trying to be made. I also prefer longer sketches in the style of Python and Cook & Moore with lots of witty dialogue spread throughout and not just a short 30 second sketch full of weak dialogue leading to a half-arsed catchphrase. My comic sensibilities are quite strict and I can be quite the perfectionist when it comes to writing but I think that makes the quality of the writing better, it's why I rarely post stuff on here (unless I want feedback on how to improve) because I like to get something just how I like it before I send it anywhere.