Saturday Night Live?! Page 2

God this was so awful, I don't even know where to start.

WTF was with Ben Elton and his constant "Everything is bigger nowadays"??? Did he have to keep saying it over and over?! We know everything is bigger! We know there are starbucks everywhere! Say something new instead of repeating stuff we've already heard on 'grumpy old men' on BBC2 time and time again.

Mitchell and Webb were so cringeworthingly bad, that I couldn't watch. I honestly felt embarrassed for them. Webb in particular looked like he's been spending all the money he made on the Mac adverts, on pies. Time to head down the gym I think, Robert.

As for Jo Caulfield, she belongs on the panel of ITV's Loose Women.

I liked the first half of Mitchell & Webb. The Boris Johnson material was funny.

I think Webb just looks different cos he's hacked all his hair off.

Ah, come on, it wasn't that bad. OK, Ben Elton talked to a silent studio (bar the odd polite laugh) and the magic guy failed to get the audience going either but some other acts were great.

We Are Klang made me laugh a lot for example.

The Human Slinky stole the show though - that was amazing. (If you didn't see it, see YouTube)

Quote: Keegs @ December 2, 2007, 2:04 PM

WTF was with Ben Elton and his constant "Everything is bigger nowadays"??? Did he have to keep saying it over and over?! We know everything is bigger! We know there are starbucks everywhere! Say something new instead of repeating stuff we've already heard on 'grumpy old men' on BBC2 time and time again.

Yes. Ben Elton really was shite. He should stick to writing, not performing. And writing funny things. Not cack like Blessed.

Neither particularly nice, nor overly tasteful.

Mmk?

This was awful, really made me embarrassed for modern British comedy. Even Lee Mack who I really like was shite. I turned off after that magician bloke. Although I did see Ben Elton later on and he was also shite.

I watched a bit between Casualty & Match of the Day.

Jo's quite funny - not hilariously original - but isn't she starting to look old.

The magician was OK and Klang were good.

Then I had to turn over halfway through Hard Fi who are probably one of the best new bands around.

I don't think that Martin liked it much.

Didn't see it so I'll have to take you all at your word.
Friday/Saturday Night Live was often patchy in the old days, so are most 'comedy variety' shows. America's SNL was/is quite often dire most of the show in terms of comedy. What these shows can do well and should be doing (and it doesn't sound like they had the guts to do this last night) is to showcase new talent with strong writing. American/British SNL allowed performers like Harry Enfield, Eddie Murphy, Fry&Laurie, Steve Martin etc. etc. a regular showcase to develop their performance skills and profile.

Thesedays though, no British mainstream channel will invest the time, money and commitment to such a programme. Sigh...

At least it was variety. And tried to be entertaining.

Otherwise you get You've Been Framed, X-Factor, Millionaire or Family Fortunes.

None of those involve professionals doing what they're best at. Just cheap crap!

X Factor is far more entertaining than this though, due to the man they call Rhydian. :D

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 2, 2007, 7:29 PM

X Factor is far more entertaining than this though, due to the man they call Rhydian. :D

But X-Factor is just car-crash TV.

It's cruelty and should be banned as a blood-sport. What you get is 4 smug tossers, nione of whom you could say have been responsible for anything with any artistic integrity or longevity. Maybe Sharon's dad did though.

I like Rhydian!
The rest of it is pointless rubbish though.

Quote: David Chapman @ December 2, 2007, 7:33 PM

But X-Factor is just car-crash TV.

It's cruelty and should be banned as a blood-sport. What you get is 4 smug tossers, nione of whom you could say have been responsible for anything with any artistic integrity or longevity. Maybe Sharon's dad did though.

True, I've seen the audition stages before and I usually turn off after a few weeks, but Rhydian is seriously good and talented and different, so I've stuck with the show just to see him. Although saying that, Leona Lewis and Shane Ward have done extremely well too, to be honest I thought they'd soon disappear but they are currently holding the number 1 and 2 album spots and Leona has had the number 1 single for what..7 weeks or something now. X Factor is mainly crap, but you do get at least one decent singer per series it seems.

Quote: zooo @ December 2, 2007, 8:14 PM

I like Rhydian!
The rest of it is pointless rubbish though.

He's awesome isn't he? Singing 'Somebody To Love' in a red suit, while stood on a piano...it doesn't get much better than that.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 2, 2007, 11:39 PM

True, I've seen the audition stages before and I usually turn off after a few weeks, but Rhydian is seriously good and talented and different, so I've stuck with the show just to see him. Although saying that, Leona Lewis and Shane Ward have done extremely well too, to be honest I thought they'd soon disappear but they are currently holding the number 1 and 2 album spots and Leona has had the number 1 single for what..7 weeks or something now. X Factor is mainly crap, but you do get at least one decent singer per series it seems.

What I saw of LeonaLewis last time I thought she seemed talented but I've not heard her record.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ December 2, 2007, 11:39 PM

He's awesome isn't he? Singing 'Somebody To Love' in a red suit, while stood on a piano...it doesn't get much better than that.

Is that the Jefferson Airplane song?

...Queen?
Unless they did it too.... I don't know music.

Yes, I did rather like his piano standing.