Doctor Who Page 31

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2008, 12:24 AM BST

Apart from that children in need (I think) thing, that had Rowan Atkinson as the Doctor, and Hugh Grant, and a few others. But seriously, the Doc is never going to be a woman.

Oh I didn't know she was in that. I think I missed that in it's entirety. Was it Comic Relief?

I remember Children in Need did the 'Dr Who Meets Eastenders in 3-D' thing.

Quote: zooo @ April 20 2008, 12:30 AM BST

:D
Was it Dirty Den? I'm sure he was in it at some point...

Nope. It was Dot Cotton. Dirty Den was in a Peter Davison one with Daleks. I think it was 'Resurrection of The Daleks'.

I like that clip they always show of Martin Clunes.

Oh yeah! Where he's like an intergalactic New Romantic.

Hee. The earring completes the look.

I'm desperately not trying to get annoyed by Catherine Tate while watching this. Whenever she goes into one of her sketch show characters I have to close my eyes and think of a proper actress.

I hope the storyline picks up a bit and the references could be a little more subtle, Tate has mentioned Bees in 2 out of 3 episodes. Apart from that is pretty good so far.

Tates been good in it, if people hate her then theyre going to carry on hating her; I dont really know how people can slate her performances so far because theyve been pretty good; especially in the more serious, emotional moments. As I say, some people are always just going to hate her, and the moment she does anything light hearted, or says a funny line, youll get people going 'oh, Tate ruins it with her comedy voices'; Tennant hardly underplays the comic moments now does he? As far as Im concerned, shes only playing the script which has been presented to her; which, at times, calls on her to use her skills as a comic performer. That being the case, if you really dont like it, then its really a fault with the script and not the actor. Shes certainly a better actress, and more believabnle in the heavy sutff, than Martha.

You`re bang on there Martin.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2008, 11:34 AM BST

Tates been good in it, if people hate her then theyre going to carry on hating her; I dont really know how people can slate her performances so far because theyve been pretty good; especially in the more serious, emotional moments. As I say, some people are always just going to hate her, and the moment she does anything light hearted, or says a funny line, youll get people going 'oh, Tate ruins it with her comedy voices'; Tennant hardly underplays the comic moments now does he? As far as Im concerned, shes only playing the script which has been presented to her; which, at times, calls on her to use her skills as a comic performer. That being the case, if you really dont like it, then its really a fault with the script and not the actor. Shes certainly a better actress, and more believabnle in the heavy sutff, than Martha.

What utter twaddle! Well, the bit about Tate being better than Freema Agyeman, anyway. Agyeman was f**king A-1 as Martha. Wow, Tate can cry. Big deal! I'll give it to her that she can do a good range of voices/mannerisms in her sketch show, but so can a lot of jokers down the pub... this does not an actress make. You make the point that Tennant hams it up, prancing round like a squirrel in a mine-field and gurning at every available opportunity. Surely this makes it even more important that his companion be "straight"? I mean, the companion is supposed to be a foil for the doctor, not a competitor in a see-who-has-the-most-grating-mannerisms contest.

That said, I think the scripts have been pretty shite too so far. The last episode was, I thought, the best so far this series, but it still seemed rather muddled/confused. Bring in/back some decent writers and make a fist of it, for God's sake. What we've had so far is an odd mix of the bizarre, the crudely over-emotional and the often uninspired. All in an incoherent jumble. Which is a shame because I like Dr Who. I'm hoping it picks up soon.

Quote: Gavin @ April 20 2008, 11:43 AM BST

You`re bang on there Martin.

Thank you Gordon.

Quote: James Williams @ April 20 2008, 12:21 PM BST

What utter twaddle! Well, the bit about Tate being better than Freema Agyeman, anyway. Agyeman was f**king A-1 as Martha. Wow, Tate can cry. Big deal! I'll give it to her that she can do a good range of voices/mannerisms in her sketch show, but so can a lot of jokers down the pub... this does not an actress make. You make the point that Tennant hams it up, prancing round like a squirrel in a mine-field and gurning at every available opportunity. Surely this makes it even more important that his companion be "straight"? I mean, the companion is supposed to be a foil for the doctor, not a competitor in a see-who-has-the-most-grating-mannerisms contest.

Now thats twaddle James. Watch the actual performances, Tate is good actress, I think youre completely wrong. Agyeman was good but not amazing. And tennant doesnt 'ham it up', its a perfect performance of the material given. If Tate hadnt had her own sketch show, I guarantee you that her reception would be so much different, everyones just too coloured in their opinion by her past.

Whoops and there was me thinking I'D mastered the wii-board. Sorry Matthew dude.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ April 20 2008, 12:25 PM BST

Now thats twaddle James. Watch the actual performances, Tate is good actress, I think youre completely wrong. Agyeman was good but not amazing. And tennant doesnt 'ham it up', its a perfect performance of the material given. If Tate hadnt had her own sketch show, I guarantee you that her reception would be so much different, everyones just too coloured in their opinion by her past.

Tennant "Doesn't ham it up"?!?!
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him hamming it up in this context, but by golly to deny that that's what he's doing is just plain wrong. Are you saying his acting is *not* exaggerated? Jesus.

As I said, no matter how good Tate is (and she's not terrible) her skills are too crude in this context, and they clash with the doctor.

We each have our tastes but you seem to be defending a Big Mac, while I prefer a nice bit of rump...

*cough*

Quote: James Williams @ April 20 2008, 12:21 PM BST

Agyeman was f**king A-1 as Martha.

Correct. Too bad that Martha was the most punchable c**t on television in 2007, eh?

Quote: James Williams @ April 20 2008, 12:32 PM BST

Tennant "Doesn't ham it up"?!?!
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with him hamming it up in this context, but by golly to deny that that's what he's doing is just plain wrong. Are you saying his acting is *not* exaggerated? Jesus.

As I said, no matter how good Tate is (and she's not terrible) her skills are too crude in this context, and they clash with the doctor.

We each have our tastes but you seem to be defending a Big Mac, while I prefer a nice bit of rump...

*cough*

Tennants performance is big, but not hammy; theres a difference between the two I would say.

"Are you saying his acting is *not* exaggerated? Jesus" Well the way you just said thats a bit rude, but Ill let it slide. I never actually said that, I said its not hammy, because its not; if you think it is then I consider you to be wrong. And Tate isnt crude, she is very affecting in the more emotional parts, and that doenst mean that Im impressed because she can squeeze a tear out, but because I think she shows a lot of raw emotion during the scenes.

Quote: zooo @ April 19 2008, 10:17 PM BST

Ryan Sampson. Actor in After You've Gone, some time poster on this here board.

And even better for zooo, he's also gay! :)

Well, better in one way, not in another. ;)