The Death of British Comedy Page 5

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2022, 3:30 PM

I would like to make clear at this point that I am the owner and editor of this website, and disagree with this view in the strongest possible terms.

You are of course free to hold this opinion and we encourage open discussion and debate on a range of issues: from your manner I do not expect that you have any intention of doing so, but I feel I must warn you that anything pursuing this topic further will be regarded as hateful conduct and result in your permanent expulsion from the community.

Please refer to our rules for guidance as to what we expect from members in order to foster a pleasant atmosphere.

It's the BEHAVIOUR part I find fascinating. Does Rupert mean it's OK to think about another man's bottom, just unacceptable to touch it? Or do they mean that the bottom stuff is OK, but listening to Liza Minnelli and having one of those bendy moustaches is beyond the pale?

Anyway, Rupe, I think you'll find that the reason you don't find much comedy about how gays are evil is because the majority of this country don't think like that any more. It's not because there's a special rule book people follow, it's because it's what they believe. And this is the funny thing: although paraplegic Asian lesbians might be a tiny fraction of our society, the percentage of our society that thinks that laughing at them solely because of this difference is undesirable is pretty large: you perceive this as the few dictating to the many, but it's not, it's the many empathising with the few.

Anyway, you continue to use terms in a meaningless way, such that it's impossible to debate with you. I have no idea what "PC" rules might mean that a show like OFAH couldn't be made today, and I don't believe you do either.

Also, disagree with scientific consensus though you might, climate change and the pandemic have nothing to do with political correctness, wokeness, or whatever else you want to call it. How could they? Think about it, you're claiming a single thing makes scientists interpret their data in a certain way AND stops comedians saying "poofter" AND means that nobody likes variety any more - these are three entirely separate issues.

Unless you can base your argument on meaningful premises, you won't get any further responses from this quarter.

Excellently put, gappy.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2022, 4:17 PM

Are you drunk? No one is shocked that such views exist. I have simply warned that pushing them heavily will be frowned upon.

You're an odd sort, Rupert Bear. Good luck with your website.

I wasn't pushing my views, I was baited into stating them and that started the ball rolling for others to pile in and keep it going. Several times I tried to get it back on track, but once the social justice warriors get a hold there's no stopping them.

There's nothing odd about me, I simply have views which I've gained from living outside the west among the culture of others (not minority sub-cultures) and as such I've not been too heavily influenced by the cultural revolution the western world is now involved with.

Okay, as I'm finishing off I'll come clean. I'm a former Social and Political Science teacher/lecturer having worked for many years in the Far East and my core subject was ideological theory. I know very well what's going on around me even if those with an agenda don't and fortunately I do know how it all works (and how it will end).

The news satire is a hobby, but very early on I realized you have some indoctrinated Cultural Marxists on the site who are more interested in political agendas than comedy. Just to let you know that it does show even if you're unaware and they are the ones you should be wary of.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 12th February 2022, 4:50 PM

I wasn't pushing my views, I was baited into stating them and that started the ball rolling for others to pile in and keep it going. Several times I tried to get it back on track, but once the social justice warriors get a hold there's no stopping them.

This was noted, and is why I gave you a friendly but serious note - and even commented that I didn't think you would take it further - rather than taking any censorious action.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2022, 4:55 PM

This was noted, and is why I gave you a friendly but serious note - and even commented that I didn't think you would take it further - rather than taking any censorious action.

No Aaron, let me refresh your memory. What you said was:
"You are of course free to hold this opinion and we encourage open discussion and debate on a range of issues: from your manner I do NOT expect that you have any intention of doing so ..." (my capitals).

You say toMato, I say tomAto.

You say "...some indoctrinated Cultural Marxists on the site who are more interested in political agendas than comedy.", I say 'don't say LBGT people are abnormal perverts'.

Who do you want to read your website?

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 12th February 2022, 5:02 PM

No Aaron, let me refresh your memory. What you said was:
"You are of course free to hold this opinion and we encourage open discussion and debate on a range of issues: from your manner I do NOT expect that you have any intention of doing so ..." (my capitals).

That's right. Glad you agree that I didn't think you would bring it up and push it further.

Again, no Aaron, I do not agree. You said you did NOT expect me to have any intention of doing so. It's not something I've made up, it's there in black and white. (Or should I say a dark colour and white as it might cause offence) :) But I'm not the one who brought all this up and kept it going. What kept this going so long are your few SJW members who typically slinked off like naughty children when you arrived.

What started out as a ramble about the death of British comedy turned into a sub-culture backlash and a series of combined poster attacks. I did notice that you didn't mention that. It's your forum, but you should already know that if you encourage extreme liberal views you won't get people posting on an echo chamber of PC.

Pro tip - playing the victim card won't win any tricks after you've been claiming for two days that people are over-sensitive and you want to be allowed to say more offensive things.

Logically, if someone calls you a dick, you should chalk it up as a victory for your cause, so well done.

PS I just watched Morecombe & Wise, on the BBC. It was excellent, and entirely non-upsetting to Marxist warriors.

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 12th February 2022, 8:08 PM

Again, no Aaron, I do not agree. You said you did NOT expect me to have any intention of doing so.

Correct. And I am saying that I said I did not expect you to bring it up again.

You seem to have quite the bee in your bonnet and think everyone is out to get you on every single point, which is not the case. Calm down.

Quote: Aaron @ 12th February 2022, 8:37 PM

Correct. And I am saying that I said I did not expect you to bring it up again.

You seem to have quite the bee in your bonnet and think everyone is out to get you on every single point, which is not the case. Calm down.

I'm very calm, but after meeting some of your members is it surprising I'm a little paranoid? I've never met such a bunch of empty heads all in one place at the same time! Still, it's been an experience and I suppose something I'll have to get used to after my return to the UK and its equality utopia building.

Just getting back to the original post and keeping the conversation about comedy, I think that there is a real danger that comedy will be further controlled by a combination of social media, a police service which has forgotten it should police without fear or favour (e.g. the police deciding if a meme is offensive or not), cancel culture - particularly when corporates get involved and a desire to apparently over-woke every comedy show and writing opportunity. Tastes change I know, but there is a small elite (I'll resist saying Marxist) pulling strings.

*heads off to change tinfoil hat

Quote: Rupert Bear @ 12th February 2022, 8:54 PM

the UK and its equality utopia building.

That's in the South Bank Centre, right?

Will, I agree that it's bonkers that telling a joke can be a criminal offence - Count Dankula is innocent! Though woefully unfunny! - but I still don't think that this has ruined comedy...or, indeed, that comedy is actually ruined. And anyone who bemoans cancel culture has to start by defining it, because I've not found two people with the same answer yet.

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th February 2022, 9:04 PM

Just getting back to the original post and keeping the conversation about comedy, I think that there is a real danger that comedy will be further controlled by a combination of social media, a police service which has forgotten it should police without fear or favour (e.g. the police deciding if a meme is offensive or not), cancel culture - particularly when corporates get involved and a desire to apparently over-woke every comedy show and writing opportunity. Tastes change I know, but there is a small elite (I'll resist saying Marxist) pulling strings.

And that's not even including Scotland with its ludicrous thought crime laws.

Quote: Will Cam @ 12th February 2022, 9:04 PM

... a desire to apparently over-woke every comedy show and writing opportunity.

Really?
Every comedy show?