Inside No 9 Series 6 Page 4

Quote: Lee @ 26th May 2021, 11:01 AM

*waves ban stick*

*hides stolen ban stick from Aaron*

GULP :(

Don't fret, I'm not a moderator anymore. The only power I yield is to look devilishly handsome distracting all the ladies Cool

Yes, I've seen you lurking, you suave gigolo, with all the ladies swooning.

Yes that's right and it's not just the ban stick that's waving...

OK, so now the dust has settled on the spoiler debate, I'll try and get other opinions on this fine episode. Please?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 25th May 2021, 3:05 PM

Captain Pedant here...................

I'm going to nit-pick on a subject I'm by no means an expert, BUT, presumably they were looking at each other (binoculars) across a street, and I cannot see how a gunman can hit a target (Dimitri), through a glass window pane (possibly double glazed?), across a street with a pistol - you would need a rifle of sorts, surely, which is clearly what the other assassin shot Felix with.

Just sayin'..................

PS Was Eric Muller in on the set up? I don't think so, but what do you think?

I should think DaButt's your man for a definitive answer- but I'm pretty sure a modern military grade handgun can shoot a fair way (several hundreds of yards certainly). Laser sight(?) in the hands of a Special Services guy... ?
Of course mainly it had to be a handgun to make the hairdryer gag work.

The Muller character was just a chance for him to do his funny German accent.

Yup, OK - I'll go along with that. Cool

My questions would be

1) If the guy in the next room fired the killing shot, surely his window wouldn't be facing the right way.
2) If this assassinated guy was important enough to have his own armed guard (the security shot was pretty instantaneous), would be
a) be staying in a hotel a few yards from such a crappy one?
b) employ a PA by finding someone who'd only started that career a few months ago

I don't really care about these questions, though, it was an excellent episode, full of ideas, but also good jokes.

Why did she say "what was that?" when he didn't say anything? I taken it it's because she was wearing an earpiece? Also, how/why did she know the hotel manager's name? That seemed significant.

Quote: gappy @ 28th May 2021, 5:50 PM

My questions would be

1) If the guy in the next room fired the killing shot, surely his window wouldn't be facing the right way.
2) If this assassinated guy was important enough to have his own armed guard (the security shot was pretty instantaneous), would be
a) be staying in a hotel a few yards from such a crappy one?
b) employ a PA by finding someone who'd only started that career a few months ago

I don't really care about these questions, though, it was an excellent episode, full of ideas, but also good jokes.

*Spoilers galore*

I think the guy in the next room shot the anti-government guy (Dmitri?), not Felix (Steve's character). It was also another government-hired gunman who shot Felix, not his guard - they were trying to make it look like suicide.

As for 2a) - London. That's the whole answer.

*Sorry, I thought the spoiler moratorium had been lifted above. If you've got this far without picking up the plot, don't read my next lines!*

I just watched the end again, and the room-connecting door wasn't where I thought it was, so not problem with the chap next door shooting Dmitri. but it's definitely a rifle from outside that shoots Felix, you see the window break; so that's not a fake suicide, but a security shooter of Dmitri's (and, I presume, not in on the plot, but they could be a plant too - in fact, perhaps that's the recipient of the "now" command).

Your answer to 2a is actually quite correct, London is like that. Still not sure about 2b. But, I don't think it matters, I loved the episode.

Quote: gappy @ 29th May 2021, 12:05 PM

*Sorry, I thought the spoiler moratorium had been lifted above. If you've got this far without picking up the plot, don't read my next lines!*

I just watched the end again, and the room-connecting door wasn't where I thought it was, so not problem with the chap next door shooting Dmitri. but it's definitely a rifle from outside that shoots Felix, you see the window break; so that's not a fake suicide, but a security shooter of Dmitri's (and, I presume, not in on the plot, but they could be a plant too - in fact, perhaps that's the recipient of the "now" command).

Your answer to 2a is actually quite correct, London is like that. Still not sure about 2b. But, I don't think it matters, I loved the episode.

I thought her saying "now" was a signal to one of her employees - I didn't catch on that it was Dmitri's (obviously fake) bodyguard but maybe that's explained in the newsreel at the end, I can't remember. I thought they were trying to make it look like he shot Dmitri and then himself, but maybe not.

Also, I thought maybe the twist was going to be that she was deaf and could only communicate through lip-reading. I was watching for whether she looked at Steve every time he spoke. I thought that's why she thought he was talking when he wasn't, but I'm guessing that was someone talking in her ear. What do you think? Don't know how that would have contributed to the plot in any way, but I was obviously trying to be too clever...

I felt the bit where she thought he said something was because she wanted the relationship conversation to go on longer so she could develop her "single and not looking for change" stance to show that it wasn't quite true (or, as we know later, so she wanted to manoeuvre him into the right emotional state to be kissing her in time for the fire alarm & kill shot).

In my memory I thought the "now" was to the chap next door to take the shot, but rewatching the ending it's post-assassination, so I can only assume it was to the security plant to take out Felix.

I guess they were lucky Dmitiri was near the window at the exact moment they needed him to be. I don't know, maybe his room was small, so he'd always be in sight of the window.

But equally it could have been a hint that she was wearing a tiny earpiece and next door assassin or security plant was giving her important data.

Great episode. Steve was particularly grotesque. I liked how they set you up to think exactly what Shearsmith does then completely wrong foots you at the end. Very grisly.

Really good fun, if a bit silly. For me, the relationship between the actors was the core, rather than the larger story (hopefully that's sufficiently non-spoilery).