Inside No 9 Series 6

The best programme on television is back. Obviously I'm biased and a huge fan of Reece and Steve, but honestly tonight's episode is one of my favourites. Clever writing absolutely crammed with gags, so many in fact I'll have to rewatch as I was laughing so much I missed half of them.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 10th May 2021, 11:02 PM

....................... but honestly tonight's episode is one of my favourites.

Saying that is like saying "Oh! I love their latest song - it's the best ever" Really? I can think of two that were far better than that.

Clever writing absolutely crammed with gags........................

Ditto above. What, very old puns? I know, I know. Don't tell me - they were being ironic. Sleepy

Still, I did enjoy it, though didn't quite see what the final scene was all about.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th May 2021, 12:34 AM

Saying that is like saying "Oh! I love their latest song - it's the best ever" Really? I can think of two that were far better than that.

Ditto above. What, very old puns? I know, I know. Don't tell me - they were being ironic. Sleepy

Still, I did enjoy it, though didn't quite see what the final scene was all about.

Better is subjective and anyway the beauty of No 9 is the wide ranging genres. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room and The Harrowing are equally good but cut from such different cloths I couldn't say one was better.

And I don't think they were being ironic. They aimed for out and out comedy from puns to slapstick and based on the amount I laughed I'd say they succeeded.

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 11th May 2021, 1:21 AM

Better is subjective and anyway the beauty of No 9 is the wide ranging genres. Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room and The Harrowing are equally good but cut from such different cloths I couldn't say one was better.

And I don't think they were being ironic. They aimed for out and out comedy from puns to slapstick and based on the amount I laughed I'd say they succeeded.

If that is the case, then they were using old material - hoping no one would notice? The only thing I can think they were getting at was, for example, not actually saying "Jamaica? No, she went of her own accord." Still a weak joke though.

Yes, "Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room " was another good one, and I wish I'd known about the source of the episode was based on the failed duo "Cheese and Onion" - if you haven't read that yet, I highly recommend it as another superb article from Graham McCann in his Chronicle series, on this forum.
" The tragi-comic fate of Cheese & Onion, however, was simply so odd that it has kept their names fluttering in and out of Britain's comic consciousness ever since their demise and the decline of double acts in general. In a 2018 episode of Inside No. 9, entitled Bernie Clifton's Dressing Room, Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton appeared as 'Cheese and Crackers' - a pair of washed-up entertainers who bore something of a family resemblance to Barry and Mike.................."

You're not getting away with it that lightly :D So, what was the idea of the "twin" at the end? Did I miss summat?

A bit of a weak start.
When they started the whole 'meta' thing, I was hoping they'd do something clever with it - but they didn't, they just let it fizzle out.
A deal of schoolboy humour (all the gay innuendo was tiresome) and a series of (one hopes) purposely terrible old gags & prat-falls.
It was like a 2nd-rate radio comedy with a budget.
I'm confident things will get better - they're very clever writers.
Not this time though.

Lazzard's bang on, it was very much like a mid-80s R4 show, with half the jokes and meta-references being Trad. Arr.

I didn't mind it as a show, though I could have done without the truly ancient gags like "lean", but I really feel that the adage "don't open with it" applies here, I'm surprised this was ep 1, it felt like ep 5.

Interestingly, the podcast says they made choices so as not to appear wanky. I have to say, for me personally, that backfired.

But I'm sure the rest of the series will be good, they generally deliver.

I love the show but gave up halfway.

Chicago?
Alaska?
Trinidad and Tobago?

Quote: Chappers @ 11th May 2021, 10:36 PM

Chicago?
Alaska?
Trinidad and Tobago?

Keep plugging away Chappers, old chap. You'll get it right one day. :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 11th May 2021, 11:25 PM

Keep plugging away Chappers, old chap. You'll get it right one day. :P

I did get it right. Two old predictables and then a surprise.

I liked it and throughly enjoyed the companion radio show 'Inside, Inside No.9.

The best programme on television is back. Obviously I'm biased and a huge fan of Reece and Steve, but honestly tonight's episode is one of my favourites. Clever writing absolutely crammed with gags, so many in fact I'll have to rewatch as I was laughing so much I missed half of them.

I need to rewatch 'Wuthering Heist'. Next Mondays episode is Simon Says - it looks like it'll be much darker, which may suit people better (depending on your taste of course). Most people making comparisons with previous episodes of Inside No9 seem to mention Zanzibar and A Quiet Night In but the first episode I thought of, on watching the initial scene of the episode, was 'Misdirection, due to the 9 being on a storage unit and the episode being filmed in it. Anyone else think that too? maybe its just me.

In Simon Says this evening did anyone see the hare was wearing a mask?!

Quote: Boot @ 17th May 2021, 10:28 PM

In Simon Says this evening did anyone see the hare was wearing a mask?!

Nope. Didn't even realise they were still doing that, and so didn't bother to seek it out.