Dr Who, woke bollocks or not? Page 5

I've just watched The Star Beast. Mixed feelings. The actors were great and I hadn't realised Rose was trans until afterwards when I looked it all up.

The alien impersonating Roadrunner was a bit weird too. Voiced by Miriam Margolyes - a National treasure? No - I don't think so.

The main thing that gets me though is like Harry Potter's wand the Doctor's sonic screwdriver seems to solve everything. Nothing really clever.

Quote: Chappers @ 29th November 2023, 9:27 PM

I've just watched The Star Beast. Mixed feelings. The actors were great and I hadn't realised Rose was trans until afterwards when I looked it all up.

The alien impersonating Roadrunner was a bit weird too. Voiced by Miriam Margolyes - a National treasure? No - I don't think so.

The main thing that gets me though is like Harry Potter's wand the Doctor's sonic screwdriver seems to solve everything. Nothing really clever.

Self-proclaimed national treasure. She thinks she can do and say as she pleases and it's ok because it's her. Prime example is not only asking Matthew Perry if he was an alcoholic when they met on the Graham Norton show which is already stupidly tactless but then mentions her 'regret' over the encounter in her book even though she never knew Matthew personally and he probably didn't think much of her after she insulted Marta Kauffman in front of him leaving him stunned.

Not only all of that but she then shares a tribute to Matthew after he died. It's a type of opportunistic publicity and self promotion I can't stand. The fact is Miriam was jealous of Marta and disliked her for no other reason. It's obvious to anyone who knows Friends that Marta was hugely popular with the cast and crew and even seen as a mother figure rather than a demanding producer which just makes everything Miriam say about her ridiculous.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 29th November 2023, 11:35 PM

Self-proclaimed national treasure. She thinks she can do and say as she pleases and it's ok because it's her. Prime example is not only asking Matthew Perry if he was an alcoholic when they met on the Graham Norton show which is already stupidly tactless but then mentions her 'regret' over the encounter in her book even though she never knew Matthew personally and he probably didn't think much of her after she insulted Marta Kauffman in front of him leaving him stunned.

Not only all of that but she then shares a tribute to Matthew after he died. It's a type of opportunistic publicity and self promotion I can't stand. The fact is Miriam was jealous of Marta and disliked her for no other reason. It's obvious to anyone who knows Friends that Marta was hugely popular with the cast and crew and even seen as a mother figure rather than a demanding producer which just makes everything Miriam say about her ridiculous.

Just to say, I thought Doctor Who was great this week. A real return to form after a disappointing last decade.
I don't agree at all with the comments about Margoyles. Eccentric and a bit of a loose cannon, but also funny and genuinely talented. Odd to accuse her of being jealous for no reason. Also odd to attack her for apologising for something which she agrees was an error.
If I may quote: "Some people still don't like her today, of course, for a variety of reasons namely because she is a woman who talks freely about her sexuality, because she is a lesbian, because she holds left-wing views, because she holds left-wing views but has criticized Jeremy Corbyn's support for Brexit and failure to tackle anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, because she is Jewish and yet has condemned Israel's brutal treatment of the Palestinians, because she is Jewish full stop, because she is a woman who speaks her mind freely and honestly, because she is an old woman or simply because she is a woman."

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 30th November 2023, 6:19 AM

Just to say, I thought Doctor Who was great this week. A real return to form after a disappointing last decade.
I don't agree at all with the comments about Margoyles. Eccentric and a bit of a loose cannon, but also funny and genuinely talented. Odd to accuse her of being jealous for no reason. Also odd to attack her for apologising for something which she agrees was an error.
If I may quote: "Some people still don't like her today, of course, for a variety of reasons namely because she is a woman who talks freely about her sexuality, because she is a lesbian, because she holds left-wing views, because she holds left-wing views but has criticized Jeremy Corbyn's support for Brexit and failure to tackle anti-Semitism in the Labour Party, because she is Jewish and yet has condemned Israel's brutal treatment of the Palestinians, because she is Jewish full stop, because she is a woman who speaks her mind freely and honestly, because she is an old woman or simply because she is a woman."

I gave several reasons why I think Miriam was showing jealousy. I did say it was fact when I should have said it's my opinion but it's based on strong evidence. On the Graham Norton show she said she met Marta in the 80s when she was working in America and then proceeds to call her a monster which shocks everyone including Matthew who was sitting next to her. I deduce from that she was a prima donna type and Marta probably didn't have much time for her but I don't see Marta being unkind or a 'monster' to her. Could have been a personality clash but Marta seems professional and courteous and you can't call someone a monster on TV without anything to back it up. That could be libel territory.

It was backstage and off-camera when she asked Matthew Perry if he was an alcoholic and she must have been living under a rock if she didn't know he was in recovery. If she didn't know him it was probably all based on him having a slight slur when he spoke but it's not exactly water cooler conversation. Not only that but the world wouldn't have known if she chose not to disclose it and she then she has the audacity to mention it in her book. If she hadn't shared the encounter in the first place she wouldn't have needed to address it through insincere sentiments in her book.

I'm not sure why you included that quote in a response to my post but none of that applies to me. I don't dislike anyone based on everything included in your anonymous quote. I dislike people with narcissistic traits.

04:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7KItQfDZwE&ab_channel=money.jobs.hustles

Nothing to do with her being Gay or Jewish but she is just a disgusting specimen.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 30th November 2023, 4:45 PM

I gave several reasons why I think Miriam was showing jealousy. I did say it was fact when I should have said it's my opinion but it's based on strong evidence. On the Graham Norton show she said she met Marta in the 80s when she was working in America and then proceeds to call her a monster which shocks everyone including Matthew who was sitting next to her. I deduce from that she was a prima donna type and Marta probably didn't have much time for her but I don't see Marta being unkind or a 'monster' to her. Could have been a personality clash but Marta seems professional and courteous and you can't call someone a monster on TV without anything to back it up. That could be libel territory.

It was backstage and off-camera when she asked Matthew Perry if he was an alcoholic and she must have been living under a rock if she didn't know he was in recovery. If she didn't know him it was probably all based on him having a slight slur when he spoke but it's not exactly water cooler conversation. Not only that but the world wouldn't have known if she chose not to disclose it and she then she has the audacity to mention it in her book. If she hadn't shared the encounter in the first place she wouldn't have needed to address it through insincere sentiments in her book.

I'm not sure why you included that quote in a response to my post but none of that applies to me. I don't dislike anyone based on everything included in your anonymous quote. I dislike people with narcissistic traits.

04:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7KItQfDZwE&ab_channel=money.jobs.hustles

I don't find it too hard to believe she didn't know Perry was an alcoholic. It was widely publicised but not everyone closely follows the lives of the Friends stars, particularly people who have never watched Friends. Why would she have asked him if she already knew? She was a bit rude to ask him, perhaps, but as you say, she expressed regret over that and apologised, so case closed really.
Clearly she had some sort of clash with the Friends co-creator but as we don't really know what she's like, it's a bit hard to form any conclusion about it really isn't it? It still seems a bit odd to suggest she must have been jealous especially as one is a primarily a writer and the other is an actress. They're not in competition with each other really.

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 30th November 2023, 8:30 PM

I don't find it too hard to believe she didn't know Perry was an alcoholic. It was widely publicised but not everyone closely follows the lives of the Friends stars, particularly people who have never watched Friends. Why would she have asked him if she already knew? She was a bit rude to ask him, perhaps, but as you say, she expressed regret over that and apologised, so case closed really.
Clearly she had some sort of clash with the Friends co-creator but as we don't really know what she's like, it's a bit hard to form any conclusion about it really isn't it? It still seems a bit odd to suggest she must have been jealous especially as one is a primarily a writer and the other is an actress. They're not in competition with each other really.

She probably didn't know but if you think that asking someone in that setting if they're an alcoholic is as you say 'a bit rude, perhaps' then I think you're understating it. This is Miriam, she has countless anecdotes but strangely couldn't share a single story demonstrating Marta's despicable behaviour towards her so what is that if it's not a touch of jealousy? The sad thing is that people like Marta and Miriam who have strong personalities often either hit if off instantly and become great friends or take an instant dislike to each other. There's speaking your mind and there's being inappropriate and Miriam strikes me as someone who doesn't know where the line is drawn and doesn't even care. Shamelessly name dropping people who don't know her and don't care to know her such as Matthew Perry.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 30th November 2023, 9:16 PM

This is Miriam, she has countless anecdotes but strangely couldn't share a single story demonstrating Marta's despicable behaviour towards her so what is that if it's not a touch of jealousy?

Er...a personality clash? Equally possible Marta was jealous of her.

The sad thing is that people like Marta and Miriam who have strong personalities often either hit if off instantly and become great friends or take an instant dislike to each other.

Exactly.

There's speaking your mind and there's being inappropriate and Miriam strikes me as someone who doesn't know where the line is drawn and doesn't even care.

Definitely true. There's probably something slightly wrong with her. Clearly she does care though, hence her expression of regret.

Shamelessly name dropping people who don't know her and don't care to know her such as Matthew Perry.

They definitely did meet, you know? That's not in dispute. I don't get your point here at all.

Those who work in it will know there's an awful lot of rivalry and jealousy in the acting profession and in film and TV especially, as any screen role is gold dust on your cv. But there is a convention not to air your personal grievances, mainly for fear it could ruin your chances of working with others, as big egos are easily bruised. So they tend to come out later in life, or at least when they're happy enough with what they've achieved. Then you'll get the odd one who never gave a f**k who they insulted, eg. Betty Davis or Bogart and they were never out of work.

I'm still waiting for a rainbow-coloured Dalek.

'YOU MUST OBEY DARLING

Quote: Chris Hallam @ 1st December 2023, 5:26 AM

They definitely did meet, you know? That's not in dispute. I don't get your point here at all.

Asking me if I'm aware that they met in real life after everything I've posted and the link to the Graham Norton episode? Seriously?

You can meet someone and still not know them. That's my point. Matthew didn't know her in the sense of a friend, colleague or even an acquaintance. The one and only time they met was on the Graham Norton show so they were forced together and it's crystal clear Matthew became uncomfortable with her erratic behaviour and when she insults his close friend and mentor it's fair to say by that point he would happily never hear her name ever mentioned again. Being reminded of her and the interview probably did nothing to help him maintain sobriety so as part of his recovery he would probably be happier forgetting Miriam and her vicious comments about Marta.

Miriam has other ideas of course and chooses to share a private off camera conversation she had with Matthew because she bizarrely thinks it's funny and it draws attention to her. Then mentions the encounter in her book which is just insincere page filler. Her actions are deeply offensive to alcoholics in recovery and to Matthew personally and it's no excuse to say she's just a loon. I bet Matthew regretted doing that interview because of Miriam tying to play the mischievous child on Pebble Mill act. In the same interview she says something I'm not even repeating it's that crass and it's all done for desperate attention and shock factor. Yawn.

If Marta didn't like Miriam I have no doubt it was with good reason. Marta seems like someone who doesn't take bs from anyone and will take a prima donna down a peg or two when provoked. It's clear from all the behind the scenes footage of Friends and comments by her colleagues that Marta was hugely popular and I assume it's the same for her other work like Veronica's Closet. It's another example of how Miriam uses a decades old encounter with someone she doesn't know to fill her air time. She hasn't seen Marta since the 80s but labels her a monster without explaining why.

I thought the second specuial was much better
Quite creepy in parts

Agreed.
Corridors and monsters.
We don't ask for much.

.... There's speaking your mind and there's being inappropriate and Miriam strikes me as someone who doesn't know where the line is drawn and doesn't even care. Shamelessly name dropping people who don't know her and don't care to know her such as Matthew Perry.

True, but she did say "I loathe Hamas, but they were democratically elected and Israel's behaviour is not acceptable. There's been a troubling backlash." which coming from a Jewish Actress was a brave and honest statement. I think people admire her candour, but the truth hurts. Not as much as carpet bombing, but her hart seems in the right place.

Second ep was f**king marvellous. And I love the new Tardis, that's exactly how I've wanted it to look ever since Eccleston.
I'm excited about Ncuti, but I don't want to go through Tennant leaving again. :(