Dr Who, woke bollocks or not? Page 2

I saw part of an interesting show with the ever so scrumpy Lucy thingy Bob about Tudor England and how they celebrated Christmas, did like the idea of the 'Lord of Misrule' who seemed to be a jester type fellow, somewhat Bacchanalian and was the fore runner of our Father Christmas, did think that'd be an interesting idea to explore, an episode set in Tudor times but the said Lord of Misrule is in fact an avatar of The Crawling Chaos, Nyarlathotep himself, if you've never read Lovecraft that name won't make any sense to you but an extra dimensional messenger of the Great Old Ones, the Devil if you like, a bit spookier than normal but hate the twee episodes where the 'monster' turns out to be a stranded alien who only wants to get home...yawn yawn yawn...

PC nonsense? Dalek Lives Matter

Doctor Who has always been a socially progressive show dealing with things like the rights of indigenous peoples, enviromentalism, etc. In fact sci-fi in general was dealing with 'woke' and "PC' issues long before they became triggers for the gammons.

As for Who, I haven't watched it for a while. I used to, but as Steve Sunshine says, it was quite an infuriating show at times due to variable quality . Which I think was also a problem for it back in its earliest incarnations.

In Tom Bakers first episode the British army was involved

And it was painfully obvious that the tanks and other military vehicles were just small toys!

Quote: chipolata @ 13th December 2020, 1:00 PM

Doctor Who has always been a socially progressive show dealing with things like the rights of indigenous peoples, enviromentalism, etc. In fact sci-fi in general was dealing with 'woke' and "PC' issues long before they became triggers for the gammons.

As for Who, I haven't watched it for a while. I used to, but as Steve Sunshine says, it was quite an infuriating show at times due to variable quality . Which I think was also a problem for it back in its earliest incarnations.

Very true.

Yes, thanks.

A very good question.

To be honest, I can't remember whether the original heron was wearing Calvin Kleins or not.

(But is this an advert?)

Quote: john tregorran @ 12th December 2020, 7:21 PM

I outgrew the Dr years ago.

Well, everyone* outgrew Doctor Who in the mid-80s when Colin Baker and then Sylvester McCoy came along, with JNT helming the sinking ship. But the 2005 (or whenever it was) reboot with Chris Ecdestone and Billie Piper was superb. David Tennant carried on well, but by Matt Smith, it had become more about smug melodrama than gripping dramatic sci-fi stories. And that annoying sonic screwdriver was grossly overused. I very recently watched the entire Matt Smith run and didn't enjoy Moffat's diligent efforts to be meta and wokey-wokey wacky (thanks Bunter), Now half-way through the Capaldi run. Superb actor and some good stories, and I feel it would be better without Moffat's oar in the mix. Such as the Brigadier coming back as a corpse in a Cyberman after Nick Courtney had died! Jesus wept. I don't make a point of tuning into the newest Who these days. Pleased the Doctor became female, but only watch if someone has gone to the effort of putting it on.

* me

I didn't mean to watch any of this jamboree bag of a programme but it somehow appeared on my TV at some unidentifiable stage of the latest episode. I can't tell you if it's woke bollocks or not, because I couldn't bear more than five minutes of the tedious jabber between Walsh and the two diversity castings.

But even that was more sufferable than the 'doctor' (Really? The only thing she's doctored is her CV) when she appeared. No wonder her assistants are leaving, even my TV breathed a sigh of relief when I turned it over after twenty seconds of her stroppy teenager caught in a woman's body shhhhtick.

To be fair I though the New years episode was ok
Decent premise, and not too mawkish by Doctor Who standards

Apparently Jodie Whittaker has got the boot or jumped before she was pushed.

Replacements suggested include Kris Marshall and Richard Ayaode.

However - and I've suggested this before although I hate precocious brats, but how about a child actor?

I like the idea of a child Actor Chappers, but Richard Ayaode is half way there and he'd be less of a risk. Jodie Whittaker wasn't quirky enough. The current favourites (including Michaela Coel) have all played legendary geeks.

The Next Doctor should be a talking cat
If I'm wrong about this I will be a bit disappointed

Quote: Kenneth @ 14th December 2020, 3:27 AM

Such as the Brigadier coming back as a corpse in a Cyberman after Nick Courtney had died! Jesus wept.

* me

I thought the Moons an Egg was bad but Cyber Zombie Brigadier definitely made me think of Fonzie on a water ski

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 2nd August 2021, 12:50 AM

The Next Doctor should be a talking cat
If I'm wrong about this I will be a bit disappointed

That's already been done in Red Dwarf.

Ah that's true
I was just trying to think of a way of getting the fans back

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 3rd August 2021, 12:26 AM

Ah that's true
I was just trying to think of a way of getting the fans back

I've give it a rest for a few years. Leave that field fallow. And I think it's more important they find a good showrunner.