Wimbledon 2019 Page 5

Radacanu seems to have met her match for now
But she's only going to get better, and this run will shoot her up the rankings for sure

There are tickets left for tomorrow on court 1 and the centre court - that's hardly heard of in the 2nd week.
I used to go every year for the first week and had to start queuing at 05:30 to have a chance of getting in.
It was a good atmosphere in the queue though. Entertainers, buskers and any hot food you could name.
I saw a lot of the greats of the 80's

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2021, 7:53 PM

I used to go every year for the first week and had to start queuing at 05:30 to have a chance of getting in.
It was a good atmosphere in the queue though. Entertainers, buskers and any hot food you could name.
I saw a lot of the greats of the 80's

I was born & brought up in Wimbledon and, of course, went to school there. We used to go up there after school and stand around the exit and people would give us their tickets for the rest of the evening when they left to go home. Now they have a box for them to be put in and re-sold. Saw the likes of Rod Laver, John Newcombe, Roger Taylor, Ann Jones, Billie Jean King, etc.

A lot of my schoolfriends were ball boys (no girls then) in 1969 & 1970 but I didn't have the confidence to put myself forward in case I made a fool of myself (don't mind doing so now of course). I used to watch out for them performing their ball-boying duties each day on the tv.

Then, in later years, thanks to the ballot, I was lucky enough to get tickets for the Connors v McEnroe final in 1982.

I saw McEnroe twice that year. 1st and 2nd round or 2nd and 3rd.
It was nearly a walkover both matches but I'd seen my hero.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 6th July 2021, 9:32 PM

I saw McEnroe twice that year. 1st and 2nd round or 2nd and 3rd.
It was nearly a walkover both matches but I'd seen my hero.

You cannot be serious!! (Yeah I know, lame, but I couldn't resist it)

I went once, in 1988 ( now I've checked ) had to queue for a few hours
I Saw Boris Becker and Chris Evert on Court No 2 among others and luckily my friend from school was leaving earlier than me and she gave me her Centre Court tickets so I watched Henri LeConte against a 16 year old Michael Chang which turned out to be the match of the tournament,
Got quite tipsy and sunburnt and had a great day

Was Boris identifying as a woman even back then?

TearyTearyTeary