Tory leadership Page 17

I've still no idea what 'woke' is meant to mean.

It's just the new 'political correctness gone mad'.

For decades "Stay woke" was simply a phrase used between black people in America to look out for each other, fight injustice etc. Generally to be aware of oppression and abuse, whatnot. Started off generally as just being aware of racism but spread to other things.

The way the right wing media etc use it nowadays is, as zooo said, is their new "political correctness gone mad!".

Quote: billwill @ 15th July 2022, 3:01 PM

Dictionary Definition: "Aware of and actively attentive to important facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)
It comes from awoken ie "having been a woken I'm staying woke" - it goes back to the '40's

So it a lot like political correctness in that sense, except those who don't like it haven't added "gone mad" eg "Its woke gone mad!"
They just use the original term as a perjorative.

Edit: Didn't see Feeoree's post - what he said!

I don't know if we have any Conservative Party Members on the site, but here's something you all need to know before you cast your vote.
Penny Mordaunt doesn't like Dad's Army!
A game changer, I should imagine.

That will definitely 'Put that particular light out'

Quote: billwill @ 15th July 2022, 3:01 PM

Personally I find that the people that endlessly prattle on and on about things being 'woke' - are the most boring irritating morons on the planet

Woke was first used by African-America novelist William Kelley in 1962 then white Americas did an Elvis and nicked the term to look cool.

Post -debate, the two most popular would-be leaders with the voting public are Rishi Sunak and Tom Tugendhat- who wins out in 5 out of 7 vectors.
Tugendhat won't make the play-off, and Rishi is disliked by the Membership.
Likely winner, Penny Mordaunt, barely registers with the public - only Truss is less popular.
I have a feeling - quite a pleasant one - that the Tory party are about to do a 'Corbyn'.

None of them said anything of any note. As for Major Tom no one can doubt the mans bottle or I suspect his integrity. But he seems to think that he could run the country like an exercise in military logistics. And it appears to be dependent on everyone having the same outlook as they had in Commando war comics. So everyone one of us should be at the ready to sacrifice themselves by hanging back with the Bren gun to give others a chance to get away from the Jerrys.

On one hand we have politicians in shirt sleeves wiping their brow as they argue about removing the Green Levy.
On the other hand the Met Offices warnings about Monday get more dire by the hour. Apparently if you ever peak out your curtains that you were told to draw and you look directly out into the street for two seconds you could be blinded.

So going by how things normally pan out these days, if it isn't that hot on Monday that at least 2000 die on the streets.The Daily Maul & the Scum will get the mob to turn on the 'Weather Experts' Who they will go on to accuse of also being 'Remoaner Woke Enablers' and that should be enough to distract us from the fact that five f**kwits are fighting it out to run the country without going to the national electorate.

Quote: Teddy Paddalack @ 16th July 2022, 10:31 AM

So going by how things normally pan out these days, if it isn't that hot on Monday that at least 2000 die on the streets.The Daily Maul & the Scum will get the mob to turn on the 'Weather Experts' Who they will go on to accuse of also being 'Remoaner Woke Enablers' and that should be enough to distract us from the fact that five f**kwits are fighting it out to run the country without going to the national electorate.

That is 100% what will happen. And will continue to happen. The ERG (European Research Group), after a couple of years as the anti-lockdown CRG (Covid Research Group) have reformulated to form the NZSG (Net Zero Scrutiny Group). Steve Baker has headed up all of them. They will push Climate-Change denial like they pushed Brexit, and will be supported by the usual papers.
It is almost impossible to count the number of f**ks they don't give for anyone but themselves and their own, short-term wealth.

Bakers a full on nut job, he only reads the Bible and the FT. If he gets his way the workhouse will be back and so will the hymns. These people see Oliver Twist's London as the ultimate destination , Reece Mogg being ahead of the curve on the wardrobe front.
Singapore off Europe my arse the best we will get is all the limitations off being in a war. And these twats with their media will ensure that the foes change fast enough so that we never realise we're only at war with ourselves.

INTERVIEWER: Are you in favour of self-ID for trans people?

PENNY MORDAUNT-POLLARD: No, but, yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but Margaret Thatcher was a woman and she didn't have a willy so she self-ID'd and when she woke up next morning, she had one.

Quote: alison blunderland @ 16th July 2022, 3:23 PM

INTERVIEWER: Are you in favour of self-ID for trans people?

PENNY MORDAUNT-POLLARD: No, but, yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but Margaret Thatcher was a woman and she didn't have a willy so she self-ID'd and when she woke up next morning, she had one.

I know.
It's come to something when a mildly tolerant, faintly laissaiz-faire attitude to trans rights/issues is deemed a suitable stick to beat someone with.