Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 28th April 2019, 8:24 PM

Characters in Animal Farm

What connects the following?

The stems of roses.
A market town in Cumbria.
A district north west of Cambridge.
Late member of the Prodigy.

I want to say the word 'thorn'.

The stem of the roses, not the sharp points. Look at the other clues?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 29th April 2019, 3:04 PM

The stem of the roses, not the sharp points. Look at the other clues?

But they're too 'ard! Is it stalk then?

Is it something to do with guns ? Flint, rod, Huntingdon ? If not the Lady's Leg is right, it's too 'ard.

Locks?

Looking forward to the answer as this could be a good contender for the OC final in 2020, which coincidentally current one was on tonight (didn't have one of mine on though :( )

Yeah, lock looks good. Stemlock, though. Sounds like a male chastity belt.

Richard, Felicity, Paul & Penelope?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th April 2019, 12:26 PM

The Good Life. :-)

Paul I must have missed something, but shouldn't it have been a type of rose, rather than the stem of a rose ?

I like it and is going into my "Pitch" folder for 2020, so thanks for that Paul.

I would tweak it though and do it as this:-

Bramble(s)
Mint Cake
Late member of the Prodigy

And I may well tweak it even further for the last two. The "stems of roses" has as we've seen caused some confusion, and there is an insane "unwritten rule" they stick with, which is all different or all the same i.e. you have two geographical areas in your four.

** The unwritten rule they have broken themselves many a time, which is f**king annoying as it does seem that The Clique or the Senior Question Writers are allowed to break them. There was one at the beginning of the series just finished I think it was where they had four foods named after people - three Italian and one British (almost identical to one I had pitched many years ago!! Grrrrr). I was so incensed; I emailed the editor and he said it was a mistake. Oh really? So, it got through ALL the processes and was even recorded AND aired and only then they realised their "mistake". Even Victoria was at pains to explain it away.............................and relax. Cool

But as I say, I do like it and is certainly worth as pitch next year - what's your percentage? :D

Here's a new one (reject) you can all chew over:-

What connects these four words?

Espresso
Immobiliser
Subpoena
Nutshell

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 1st May 2019, 7:08 AM

I like it and is going into my "Pitch" folder for 2020, so thanks for that Paul.

I would tweak it though and do it as this:-

Bramble(s)
Mint Cake

And I may well tweak it even further for the last two. The "stems of roses" has as we've seen caused some confusion, and there is an insane "unwritten rule" they stick with, which is all different or all the same i.e. you have two geographical areas in your four.

** The unwritten rule they have broken themselves many a time, which is f**king annoying as it does seem that The Clique or the Senior Question Writers are allowed to break them. There was one at the beginning of the series just finished I think it was where they had four foods named after people - three Italian and one British (almost identical to one I had pitched many years ago!! Grrrrr). I was so incensed; I emailed the editor and he said it was a mistake. Oh really? So, it got through ALL the processes and was even recorded AND aired and only then they realised their "mistake". Even Victoria was at pains to explain it away.............................and relax. Cool

But as I say, I do like it and is certainly worth as pitch next year - what's your percentage? :D

Er, can I go 50-50 on that one?

No, seriously.

Briars are wild rose stems, not just rose stems that's where it went wrong. It would need to be brambles, not bramble wouldn't it?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 1st May 2019, 10:15 AM

Er, can I go 50-50 on that one?

No, seriously.

Briars are wild rose stems, not just rose stems that's where it went wrong. It would need to be brambles, not bramble wouldn't it?

Umm yes and no, and that's why I put it in brackets - I have plenty of time to mull it over!! If you look at any product, say jam, it says Bramble Jam, not Brambles Jam so the jury's out at the moment. As I say, plenty of time, and IF they take it I will certainly let you know - the payment then, will be the glory. :D

Bramble(s)
Mint Cake

It looks like several different versions of this.

What exactly are the 4 answers and what was the reason?

Quote: Chappers @ 1st May 2019, 5:53 PM

It looks like several different versions of this.

What exactly are the 4 answers and what was the reason?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th April 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 30th April 2019, 12:29 PM

The Good Life. :-)

NOW........................................................

Here's a new one (reject) you can all chew over:-

What connects these four words?

Espresso
Immobiliser
Subpoena
Nutshell