BCG Only Connect Page 2

Have to admit I did some googling but is it Marni Nixon?

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 26th April 2019, 12:37 PM

Have to admit I did some googling but is it Marni Nixon?

Yes! Her contract state she could never disclose she was singing for them, but Deborah Kerr let it slip, because she thought Marni deserved to be credited. Awww. My mum bought the vinyl of The King and I soundtrack and NOWHERE on that LP is any mention whatsoever of Marni Nixon. All the songs performed by Anna were credited to Deborah Kerr. Even now, you still find track listings without her name on them.

Also...did you know...Andrew Gold is Marni Nixon's son. Songs include Never Let Her Slip Away, Lonely Boy, Thank You For Being a Friend. Yes, him.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 26th April 2019, 11:41 AM

The person sang whole songs for all but Monroe. She only sang the top notes Marilyn couldn't hit.
So...are you gonna give me a name then, or what. Like pulling teeth, this is.

I've got no idea but I could Google it.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th April 2019, 10:06 PM

Are you all right?

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 26th April 2019, 1:10 PM

Also...did you know...Andrew Gold is Marni Nixon's son. Songs include Never Let Her Slip Away, Lonely Boy, Thank You For Being a Friend. Yes, him.

Interesting factoid and I wasn't familiar with Andrew Gold until a few months ago when I found Lonely Boy on youtube. An incredible musician and I knew Thank You For Being A Friend because I must have been the only straight boy at school that never missed Golden Girls. That piano riff at the start gives me goose bumps and Andrew said it wasn't about his own childhood which was a happy one.

Quote: Chappers @ 26th April 2019, 10:06 PM

Fair point Chappers and I apologise for jumping in with a google search. Bit of a cheap shot by doing that before it was agreed it was cryptic enough to need online help.

In light of my vile antics I don't deserve a turn so I say Old Lady Leg has another turn.

Okay, a quickie to pass it on swiftly...
What connects these four?

Dogs
Tree
Coins
Witch

Go!

Hmmm that's a head scratcher. Can I google it? :D

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th April 2019, 3:24 PM

Hmmm that's a head scratcher. Can I google it? :D

Do what ya like, I'm not ya mum!
If you know it, just answer, but...if you genuinely don't know...and don't want to use Google...it's from a very well-known fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen. Another clue is...when I was in primary, a group of actors came to our school to perform it for us...so, if out of all the schools in the world you went to mine, that clue is for you. You're welcome.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 28th April 2019, 3:58 PM

Do what ya like, I'm not ya mum!

Laughing out loud I found out from Mr Google but I don't want to spoil it again so will wait for someone who knows the answer legitimately.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th April 2019, 4:49 PM

Laughing out loud I found out from Mr Google but I don't want to spoil it again so will wait for someone who knows the answer legitimately.

You didn't go to my school then. See, I'm trying to develop a formula for finding exact details about people, without actually asking them. I'm starting to think it could turn into a slightly longer process with the methods I'm using.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 28th April 2019, 3:58 PM

it's from a very well-known fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen.

The Tinder box.

What connects the following:

The Major
Napolian
Mr Jones
Boxer

Characters in Animal Farm

What connects the following?

The stems of roses.
A market town in Cumbria.
A district north west of Cambridge.
Late member of the Prodigy.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 28th April 2019, 5:12 PM

You didn't go to my school then. See, I'm trying to develop a formula for finding exact details about people, without actually asking them. I'm starting to think it could turn into a slightly longer process with the methods I'm using.

As you mention primary I know we didn't because I went to lower, middle and upper schools. The closest schools were a primary and secondary but my mum couldn't get the three of us registered there when we moved to the area so we had to go to schools much further away. I'm glad though because the schools I went to were much more cooler and hip and we all wore puffa jackets. The other schools were full of losers.

As part of a performing arts assignment at uni a group of us had to create a Brothers Grimm themed performance to put on at a lower school. I can't remember what I did but the kids enjoyed it and most importantly there were no tears.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 28th April 2019, 8:49 PM

As you mention primary I know we didn't because I went to lower, middle and upper schools. The closest schools were a primary and secondary.

Where I am now, we have primary and secondary. Where I went to school, I went to primary, middle, then high...changing schools at about 9 and 13 years old. It's all academies now.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 28th April 2019, 9:51 PM

Where I am now, we have primary and secondary. Where I went to school, I went to primary, middle, then high...changing schools at about 9 and 13 years old. It's all academies now.

The lower school I went to is still there but the middle school has long gone to make way for a college to expand. I have a lot of fond memories of my middle school days and it's a shame I can't revisit there. I don't mean just turn up and start walking around the hallways as that would be weird for a 42 year old man wearing nothing but a long grey overcoat and pink marigolds (my casual attire)

The upper school I went to has been remamed an academy and it looks a lot different to when I was there. The entrance is now something like the American high school in the film Grease. When parts of it were being demolished for re-development I drove past it one day and they had knocked down part of the science block so classrooms I used to have science lessons in were exposed and I could see the remains of desks, walls and even bunson burner taps. It wasn't a nice sight because it looked like the aftermath of an earthquake.