BCG Only Connect Page 25

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 21st May 2019, 5:35 AM

Both turn up in uniform and want to play to the end?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 5:41 AM

Zey are both into vicket activities?

Yes, they beat Poland by 2 wickets and went on to play the rest of Europe...........................

Shot in the dark that it is a German band with a British cricket team name + Kent

OR

Shot in the dark that it is a German band + the Royal family's connection with Germany.

at least I'm 'avin' a go Teary

Is it Dungeness?

Definitely getting warm..... The right words are being bandied about but not the connections.

So I give you Clue 3

and a little help

The Graf Spee

I assume we are allowed to confer. All these have a German connection, the last one is a German boat. My only depth of knowledge here is about Kraftwerk, so maybe if we pool our knowledge we'll get this as a team ?

You may well know this, but Kraftwerk were big innovators, being the first to do lots of things in electronic music. They once put buttons on their stage uniforms, so the could play by just touching their jackets. The godfathers of electronic music. So maybe this is about being the first or founder of something ?

Their picture relates to their Man-Machine album cover, my guess is the boat is named after a man. But what's the Duke's machine connection ?

I want to say the D~Day landing rehearsal, but I think that was more South West than SE (Kent)

Is it David Bowie?

Oh lovely guesses..... but getting colder

Clue 4 (for 1 point)

Bugger! There's a fourth clue that has upset my apple cart.

Before I saw the fourth clue, I was about to post the following:

I have a convincing connection about which absolutely nothing has been bandied around so far.

1. The first picture shows German group Kraftwerk, who released an album "Computer World" which included a track "Pocket Calculator" that was released as a single.

2. The second picture shows the Duke of Kent and may point not to the actual Duke depicted but to a former Duke of Kent who nicknamed his baby daughter (later Queen Victoria) his "pocket Hercules".

3. The third picture shows the armoured cruiser Graf Spee, which was nicknamed a "pocket battleship" by the British.

I can't see a pocket connection with the fourth clue, so I'll keep thinking.

Hops

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 11:17 AM

"pocket Hercules".

'Ere!! Wot's your game.

(no wonder I can't get on Google this morning)

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st May 2019, 11:04 AM

Clue 4 (for 1 point)

;)

You can sink a glass of lager.

You can sink the Graf Spee.

You can sink the Duke of Kent if you chuck him into the sea with something heavy tied to him.

Unfortunately, Kraftwerk won a Grammy award only last year and so can hardly be said to have sunk without trace.

I think I'd better think it out again.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 21st May 2019, 12:00 PM

I think I'd better think it out again.

Get back on Google again you mean. Whistling nnocently

Motorik. Can. Tangerine Dream. Amon Duul II. Trans-Europe. President of the AA. The Duchess of Kent at Wimbledon. Steffi Graf, Lemon Shandy. Tristram Shandy. Bottle. Germans.......which leads to........is the connection they are all pictures?

:S

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st May 2019, 12:06 PM

Get back on Google again you mean. Whistling nnocently

Actually, I think a googling ban would make these puzzles a hell of a lot easier to solve because, if googling is banned, it means that every puzzle should be solvable by a reasonably bright and knowledgeable person using only his/her own mental faculties.

The question is, how many puzzles so far submitted on this thread fall into that category?