BCG Only Connect Page 22

Quote: Firkin @ 17th May 2019, 3:01 PM

5) Fish.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 17th May 2019, 4:57 PM

I am not sure about Firkin's answer and would need more of an explanation to confirm.

When I saw Firkin's answer, I initially thought it was just a surreal joke.

Then I decided he was probably referring to a lumpfish.

So Firkin got it too. Nice one.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 17th May 2019, 5:08 PM

When I saw Firkin's answer, I initially thought it was just a surreal joke.

Then I decided he was probably referring to a lumpfish.

As in So Long and Thanks For All The Fish?

I'm not sure that would work as I were looking for people's names.

This ain't a bad alternative though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmL-OT4Q3sc

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th May 2019, 4:45 PM

I seem to have slipped into an alternate universe. :S

Rolling eyes

Ok, OK, I get it...................this is a conspiracy between the four of you

1. The second black British man to be elected as an MP
DON'T KNOW
2. Ian Fraser Kilmister
LEMMY
3. She was with the Family Cookin'
DON'T KNOW
4. Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchacevich Schluderpacheru
HERBERT LOM

BUT A 5th Connection? VOWELS? FISH?

WTF ? Like I said, I seem to slipped sideways into another BCG where........................where what?

I don't know - what the f**k are you all on about!?

Ah! Is that why Horse said I was on another plane?

1. The second black British man to be elected as an MP.

That was a very tricky question as I thought first place was a photo-finish between Paul Boateng and Bernie Grant. However, it appears Paul Boateng is only half black.

The answer to the question is, therefore, David Lammy.

2. Ian Fraser Kilmister
LEMMY (as you say)

I well remember the excellent song "You can do magic" from 1973 and I remember equally well the name of the group: Limmie & Family Cookin'.

The answer, therefore, is LIMMIE.

HERBERT LOM (as you say)

The sequence, therefore, appears to be people's names with L as the first letter, M as the third letter, and, as the second letter, one of the vowels A E I O U in that order.

The fifth clue, therefore, has to suggest somebody's name that begins "LUM", hence my answer:

5. Her character was the rock upon which "AbFab" was built.

As I'm sure you realise, the rock upon which "AbFab" was built was Patsy Stone, the character played by Joanna Lumley.

Old Lady Leg went for "chimney" as her fifth clue, which I assume was intended to suggest "lum" (a Scottish word meaning chimney).

Firkin went for "fish" as his fifth clue, which I assume was intended to suggest "lumpfish".

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 12:24 AM

1. The second black British man to be elected as an MP.

That was a very tricky question as I thought first place was a photo-finish between Paul Boateng and Bernie Grant. However, it appears Paul Boateng is only half black.

The answer to the question is, therefore, David Lammy.

2. Ian Fraser Kilmister
LEMMY (as you say)

I well remember the excellent song "You can do magic" from 1973 and I remember equally well the name of the group: Limmie & Family Cookin'.

The answer, therefore, is LIMMIE.

HERBERT LOM (as you say)

The sequence, therefore, appears to be people's names with L as the first letter, M as the third letter, and, as the second letter, one of the vowels A E I O U in that order.

The fifth clue, therefore, has to suggest somebody's name that begins "LUM", hence my answer:

5. Her character was the rock upon which "AbFab" was built.

As I'm sure you realise, the rock upon which "AbFab" was built was Patsy Stone, the character played by Joanna Lumley.

Old Lady Leg went for "chimney" as her fifth clue, which I assume was intended to suggest "lum" (a Scottish word meaning chimney).

Firkin went for "fish" as his fifth clue, which I assume was intended to suggest "lumpfish".

Well, that is most impressive and seeing how quiet it has been in here tonight I did wonder if there was anyone left standing. Everything you say is correct except I assumed Old Lady Leg went for chimney because of Patsy's smoking habit (but I could be wrong). Sadly, I still don't think we have quite got to the bottom of Firkin's answer.

You do not refer to the theme tune to "Sorry" which I added as a footnote with the suggestion that it could have given an alternative answer. That is, instead of Joanna Lumley contributors could have put forward the character in that programme Timothy Lumsden.

The really hilarious part from my point of view (and it shows how small minded I am) is that Mr Hercules commented only this afternoon on what a great song "A Walkin' MIracle" is on another thread. It was crystal clear there that it was by who? Limmie and the Family Cookin,. Once again, he fell arse over rambling boots into one of my traps. :D

LUMME! (you have to be ancient to know that word and have read lots of 1950s Dandy or Beano) - https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/lumme

Thanks for that Rood. I was v. tired last night and words lose their meaning. HAVING SAID THAT....................I'll come onto the Space Cadet who set this one the in the first place.

OK, we're not taking this serious of course, which is fine and I was viewing it with OC eyes, and believe me this wouldn't have got a second glance with the Only Connect editors as for 1/. If you know the programme, ALL Connections consist of FOUR only, and 2/. If you are doing associated words as in this case, they at least need to conform to some sort of pattern and the only one I can NOW see is they all start with L&M - WEAK ,and from the mind of an alien. :D

Put Horse back in his box :P and let's have the next one please Rood - I've exhausted my film knowledge. How you get from an apartment in New York to a country estate in SW England for two and three is beyond me - the two films could not be further apart.

Okay, the four clues to my puzzle were:

1. Rosemary's Baby.

2. The Blair Witch Project.

3. Rebecca.

4. Harvey.

Solution: films in which the title character is never seen.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 9:21 AM

Okay, the four clues to my puzzle were:

1. Rosemary's Baby.

2. The Blair Witch Project.

3. Rebecca.

4. Harvey.

Solution: films in which the title character is never seen.

Harvey is seen in a photograph.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 18th May 2019, 9:45 AM

And I'm pretty sure from memory (I went to see it when it was released) the baby is glimpsed very briefly as I remember everyone was waiting to see it with its cat like slitted eyes.

I think questions need to be raised in The House!

Hmmmm, mutter mutter Unimpressed

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 18th May 2019, 9:45 AM

I believe the film contains a painted portrait of a large white rabbit standing next to James Stewart's character.

That's not the same as Harvey himself being seen in the film.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 18th May 2019, 10:31 AM

I believe the film contains a painted portrait of a large white rabbit standing next to James Stewart's character.

That's not the same as Harvey himself being seen in the film.

And Rosemary's Baby is conveniently swept under the carpet?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th May 2019, 10:05 AM

And I'm pretty sure from memory (I went to see it when it was released) the baby is glimpsed very briefly as I remember everyone was waiting to see it with its cat like slitted eyes.

At that part of the film, Rosemary has seen the baby and has reacted with horror: she remarks upon its strange eyes but upon no other aspect of the child's face.

The assembled people tell her that it has its father's eyes and that his father is Satan.

They all begin extolling the virtues of, and essentially praising, Satan - at which point the upper half of a horrible face appears - superimposed over Rosemary who seems about to faint - filling the screen for about one second before we cut back to the people in the room.

The face has vertically slitted eyes (like Satan and Rosemary's baby) but it also has the most horrible reptilian skin: Rosemary made no mention of any imperfection in her baby's skin when she saw him in the cradle.

The face also is adult and knowing. It's not the face of a newborn baby and we know from dialogue that Rosemary's baby has all the needs (of care) of any normal baby. It has not been born as a knowing, self-sufficient entity.

My interpretation is that we are glimpsing the face of Satan - either real or as imagined in that fleeting moment by Rosemary as she struggles to remain conscious.

So whatever interpretation you put on it, the baby's face does actually appear, which surely a contradiction of your connection solution.......................................

(gets box of rotten tomatoes and bad eggs to hand in anticipation of disagreement..........................) :P

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 18th May 2019, 11:30 AM

So whatever interpretation you put on it, the baby's face does actually appear

Absolutely not.

The face that appears is, in my interpretation, the real or imagined face of Satan.

I have explained above why, in my view, it cannot be the face of the baby.

STOP PRESS: IMDb, in response to a question "Do we get to see the baby?" says "No. Nor did Polanski have any intention of showing it. He never shot any scenes that would have given a view of the baby. Some viewers mistake the flashback to Satan's eyes, after Rosemary views the baby in the cradle, as being the eyes of the baby, but they are not."