Ghosts - Series 1 Page 7

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th May 2019, 9:34 AM

But that's difficult if you have no intention of watching the thing.

And to answer a crossed out post, no, that's not me and wasn't my point. My point was I like authenticity in sitcoms, I can't stand token characters thrown in as part of some insidious social engineering project by neo Stalinists. I would not dream of watching Rising Damp without Philip or Porridge without MaClaren, one of the most authentic sitcom characters of all. Neither of these would be cast now because of the negative stereotype thing which hangs over broadcasters' heads like a threatening black cloud. :(

Or rather a very dark grey cloud.

Quote: Aaron @ 6th May 2019, 5:55 PM

So don't make ridiculous comments presuming to know about it.

Ooh - touchy touchy!

Quote: gb901 @ 6th May 2019, 11:36 PM

Ooh - touchy touchy!

He has a point.

The loud talking to the deceased in the presence of oblivious others has now got tedious!

Quote: Aaron @ 6th May 2019, 5:55 PM

So don't make ridiculous comments presuming to know about it.

Why ridiculous? Anyone with an ounce of integrity could see from the trailer alone that the partner of the woman who inherited the mansion is a token ethnic offering to boost their quota. It doesn't upset me, I just find it plainly obvious it's what it is so why hide it.

What does upset me now I've watched an episode is how appallingly bad the Beeb's prime time prime channel sitcom output has become. Laugh free, bland, over peopled, weakly scripted, poorly acted, and out of place in a non childrens slot, I couldn't fathom how this had made it to air nor why most posters here have been so mild in their criticism of it. It belongs on a well known farm in Norfolk.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 16th April 2019, 10:31 AM

Hmmm...judging by all the negativity about this sitcom, I'll probably really like it....and...so you know...Rentaghost trumps everything...even cardigans. No...I take that back...immediately felt ashamed as soon as I said it. Ones without pockets...maybe...I dunno.

Yeah i resonate with that. I do quite like it to but this thread has sort of made me want to expand my taste in comedy too!

Quote: gb901 @ 6th May 2019, 11:47 PM

The loud talking to the deceased in the presence of oblivious others has now got tedious!

Hate to be negative but I agree. Allison literally just has to be quiet and ignore them. Also possibly the most laboured slapstick sequence I've ever seen, when the boyfriend is out running and climbs over the fence. He falls over the easiest to climb fence for no reason in such a fake way. That said I did laugh more this week, Simon Farnaby especially.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 7th May 2019, 12:38 AM

Why ridiculous? Anyone with an ounce of integrity could see from the trailer alone that the partner of the woman who inherited the mansion is a token ethnic offering to boost their quota. It doesn't upset me, I just find it plainly obvious it's what it is so why hide it.

What does upset me now I've watched an episode is how appallingly bad the Beeb's prime time prime channel sitcom output has become. Laugh free, bland, over peopled, weakly scripted, poorly acted, and out of place in a non childrens slot, I couldn't fathom how this had made it to air nor why most posters here have been so mild in their criticism of it. It belongs on a well known farm in Norfolk.

It's obviously not for you. Yes, I am watching this with my 9 year old and she laughs constantly at it, which adds to my enjoyment. So, maybe, we should assume anyone who still has the luxury of a naive child's sense of humour will find this amusing. That would be me...and I feel very lucky and liberated to be able to find humour where others can't.

I'm not just saying this stuff to be obstructive...I'll always choose silliness over carefully planned and executed scripts. Ghosts isn't trying to be anything more than it is. The writers are producing what they love and I'd rather they did that, than feel forced to adapt their style to suit critics who don't appreciate their work.

The fact your 9 yo finds this hilarious illustrates why this has no place being shown at 2130 and should be screened as part of CBBC output.

Quote: gb901 @ 7th May 2019, 11:30 AM

The fact your 9 yo finds this hilarious illustrates why this has no place being shown at 2130 and should be screened as part of CBBC output.

But I find it funny too, so why can't I have it as evening viewing? Just because a child finds something funny, doesn't automatically mean it should be shown earlier in the day. They've obviously decided there are parts which some parents might not be comfortable letting their kids watch. Changing channels would help you a lot. It's not difficult.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 7th May 2019, 11:42 AM

But I find it funny too, so why can't I have it as evening viewing? Just because a child finds something funny, doesn't automatically mean it should be shown earlier in the day. They've obviously decided there are parts which some parents might not be comfortable letting their kids watch. Changing channels would help you a lot. It's not difficult.

You seem to be getting quite vexed! Listen, if you like a comedy the BCG is probably the last place you want to come and discuss it. We're basically horrible people incapable of enjoying anything.

Quote: chipolata @ 7th May 2019, 12:01 PM

You seem to be getting quite vexed! Listen, if you like a comedy the BCG is probably the last place you want to come and discuss it. We're basically horrible people incapable of enjoying anything.

Not vexed at all...and, yeah, you're probably right.

OLL, it's great that you and your daughter can find something to share and there's no better sound than a child's laughter.

However, why you letting a nine year old staying up so late to watch a programme about ghosts!

Wots it kummin too?

Quote: garyd @ 7th May 2019, 3:53 PM

OLL, it's great that you and your daughter can find something to share and there's no better sound than a child's laughter.

However, why you letting a nine year old staying up so late to watch a programme about ghosts!

Wots it kummin too?

iPlayer. That is all.

Just watched the latest episode. I don't think Alison's audible replies to the ghosts is out of place. Yeah, she could just ignore them, but wouldn't it be a bit difficult for anyone to avoid instinctively reacting to someone they can actually see. When Robin jumps into the shot and scares her, I can't imagine any other reaction than to jump and let out a little scream.

His character, the caveman, is actually interesting. He is the oldest ghost in the house...and, although his speech hasn't improved over the years, he will have learned so much since his death...and is often shown playing chess, so there's a definite acknowledgement of that.

Little things make me smile...like the biggest prude of the bunch being called Fanny...and the way Kitty skips around Alison, having decided they are indeed now best friends...and the deep growling noise Julian makes every time he tries to move something.

The ghosts' personalities are beginning to flesh out, as it were, which offers more to understand about the people they were...and more to find endearing about the eternally frustrated and dysfunctional group they've become.