Ghosts - Series 1 Page 6

Herc you make some valid points, such as this...

Quote: Aaron @ 28th April 2019, 1:13 PM

It is definitely true that black characters are shoehorned into productions of all varieties

But all sorts of characters have been shoe horned in, since time in memorial. Good looking people are over represented, young people, women in a dress sizes below 12, muscular men, privately school people, people fitting the demographic of the commissioners (or their friends), people who can spell. Hence why it seems odd to now focus on black people as the one group we're suddenly noticing. We should just judge people on their acting. So I'll go first: Sam Fox, Paris Hilton, Slenena Gomez, Britney Speers and Naomi Campbell all can't act, in my humble opinion. Who would you add to the list ?

I watched the first episode but despite not hating it haven't really felt compelled to watch it much since then. It's no Rentaghost! (Although to be fair, not much is)

Quote: zooo @ 28th April 2019, 10:36 AM

Lol, old white men really hate seeing anyone on TV who isn't like them, don't they.

Why you hating on old white men, zooo? Why you hating on God, Father Christmas and Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses. Old white men are already frightened enough of the modern world without you piling in.

Exactly this...

Quote: Firkin @ 29th April 2019, 8:14 AM

But all sorts of characters have been shoe horned in, since time in memorial. Good looking people are over represented, young people, women in a dress sizes below 14, muscular men, privately school people, people fitting the demographic of the commissioners (or their friends), people who can spell. Hence why it seems odd to now focus on black people as the one group we're suddenly noticing. We should just judge people on their acting. So I'll go first: Sam Fox, Paris Hilton, Slenena Gomez, Britney Speers and Naomi Campbell all can't act, in my humble opinion. Who would you add to the list ?

You know, a couple of days ago, I found my copy of a VERY old b&w Pinky and Perky. The presenter (Jimmy Thompson) was a very well-spoken English white man...and, regardless of what he wore for each episode, he had a black tie on, which was always visible. (I know, it could have been any dark colour in the days of b&w). There were no subtitles, but he spoke so carefully and with such perfect diction, you'd have a hard time mistaking what was being said. This was the general rule back then. However, presenters came in all shapes and sizes by the 80s, so these old shows have always seemed very outdated to me.

TV has now come such a long way since the 80s that I truly believe discussions like this one will gradually dry up as new generations of writers/producers/directors move into the industry...and younger audiences who don't remember how TV used to be will just accept it as it is now and, like me, look back to older shows and find the lack of diversity worth noting, rather than the representation of it they've grown up with and are now used to.

A quick nod to Ken Dodd in one of the Pinky and Perky episodes, singing 'Tears'...represented by a sad-looking rabbit with big teeth (of course :-/). One of the very few singers, if not only, whose voice was NOT sped up to fit in with the chipmunky sound that other singers' songs fell prey to. Respect to him...and to the person who made that decision. Again...this was a time when no credit to the actual singers was necessary. Nothing on the VHS case, nothing in the opening/closing credits.

I know...why don't I talk about episode two of Ghosts. A novel idea, if ever there was one. How on EARTH does the actor playing Mike cope with having all those people so closed in around him while he's trying to move about, say his lines and try not to react to them at all. Yes, there was a lot of faffing about with the ghosts trying to get Alison's attention, but still very funny...and, yes, the visit to the doctor. You know when you kind of know what's coming, but you still REALLY want to see it happen? That.

So, that's episode 3 watched. Twice.
Nope, I just don't find it funny.
And the actual story is ridiculous (I don't mean the ghosts).
Observations include:
The murderous boy scout.
The 'how do you make babies' sub-story (coincidentally similar to Not Going Out before).
Thomas the poet is just awful. I should be so lucky!
The swimming shorts in the shower.
Pat's miraculous sudden realisation of his wife's and his best friend's affair.
The throwing of the mug - Why? They're all constantly "sneaking up" on her.
The monkey video - really?
Why does Alison listen to the ghost over Terry the boss builder?
Alison expressing concern to Terry that one of the chaps might have her ring.
Worse still, on finding it in the tool box of the "handsome one" Alison agrees it may well have fallen in to the box, thereby letting the builder off but Terry inexplicably pulls the team off the job.
The builder saying they'll come back for the rest of the gear - as if!
Mike fixing the drains!
Mike doing the streak - why has he suddenly changed his mind?
Sorry, I tried but not for me.

Quote: Aaron @ 27th April 2019, 1:16 AM

Anyway, I am loving Ghosts. Very entertaining, lots of laughs...
I have already drafted a news story in expectation that Series 2 has already been commissioned.

Christ, you're easily pleased!!!

Quote: comical masterpiece @ 28th April 2019, 3:24 PM

It's not often these days you can sit down and watch a comedy with your kids and I can with this. It's harmless fun. I haven't watched any new comedy in ages especially on the crap BBC network but with this I've got into it. It's funny and friendly and as for some of the comments on here about colour, who cares? Can you not enjoy programmes with people of a different origin to you? It's really sad seeing some of these posts. Anyway back to the show: it's got a thumbs up from me.

Why then why is it on at 2130? This soporific, unfunny squit could quit easily be shown during CBBC slot!

It is definitely true that black characters are shoehorned into productions of all varieties and can stick out like a sore thumb. But that doesn't scan for Ghosts. Which Alfred might understand if he'd watched it and seen the set-up before complaining about how the set-up doesn't work.

But lo, the deceased scout masters son has married an ethnic minority - there's a surprise!

Well that's spooky.....................

Just heard a black mate of mine from the 60s has died. Same age as me and is a bit worrying as I near last man standing of the local Baby Boomers. :(

I didn't understand the logic with the ring. She was well within her rights to check. They agreed it fell in by mistake. Why would the head builder put all his guys out of work over that?

Quote: Sitcomfan64 @ 30th April 2019, 1:34 PM

I didn't understand the logic with the ring. She was well within her rights to check. They agreed it fell in by mistake. Why would the head builder put all his guys out of work over that?

It wasn't completely clear, but he was supposed to have already been annoyed with her not paying attention, seemingly being difficult (as the ghosts interrupted their conversations), the clear implication they had no more money to pay, and other odd behaviour. I took it to be that the builders had already decided to leave by that point.

Quote: gb901 @ 29th April 2019, 11:48 PM

Christ, you're easily pleased!!!

Or maybe you're incapable of joy? :)

Quote: zooo @ 27th April 2019, 9:33 AM

Oh sweet Jesus.

He wasn't black - well rather dusky looking.

Anyway it's picked up a lot in episode 3. One was the set up and two was a bit laboured but now we're getting to the victims' back stories.

It is definitely true that black characters are shoehorned into productions of all varieties and can stick out like a sore thumb. But that doesn't scan for Ghosts. Which Alfred might understand if he'd watched it and seen the set-up before complaining about how the set-up doesn't work.

But that's difficult if you have no intention of watching the thing.

And to answer a crossed out post, no, that's not me and wasn't my point. My point was I like authenticity in sitcoms, I can't stand token characters thrown in as part of some insidious social engineering project by neo Stalinists. I would not dream of watching Rising Damp without Philip or Porridge without MaClaren, one of the most authentic sitcom characters of all. Neither of these would be cast now because of the negative stereotype thing which hangs over broadcasters' heads like a threatening black cloud. :(

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th May 2019, 9:34 AM

And to answer a crossed out post, no, that's not me and wasn't my point. My point was I like authenticity in sitcoms, I can't stand token characters thrown in as part of some insidious social engineering project by neo Stalinists. I would not dream of watching Rising Damp without Philip or Porridge without MaClaren, one of the most authentic sitcom characters of all. Neither of these would be cast now because of the negative stereotype thing which hangs over broadcasters' heads like a threatening black cloud. :(

Indeed, and one imagines Fletcher's conversation with McLaren in the episode Ways And Means wouldn't make it to broadcast today: when he discusses McLaren's parentage and muses "Being an illegitimate, black poof is about as chic as you can get!"

Just got around to watching this and thought I'd see what folk here thought. Hadn't really thought about the 'inclusiveness' bit. Afraid I just found it really unfunny. The potpourri joke was probably the tipping point for me, This hasn't been funny since the 70s.

I did wonder if I'd have been less critical if it had been a CBBC programme rather than 9:30PM. I never really found horrible histories funny but it was interesting and as a children's programme I was much more forgiving.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 4th May 2019, 9:34 AM

So don't make ridiculous comments presuming to know about it.