Ghosts - Series 1 Page 9

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 13th May 2019, 6:09 PM

That won't help you . . . what would be the point of listing what I find funny when at the end of it, you still won't find it funny. It would be an absolute waste of time.

If Garyd were inviting you to a debate, I could understand your reluctance to argue with him because, as you say, it might just be that your senses of humour are incompatible with each other and therefore it's very unlikely that either of you is ever going to agree that something you previously thought funny or unfunny is, in fact, the very opposite.

However, he's not asking you to debate the matter: he simply asking you (and others who think the show is funny) to explain what scenes or individual lines you find particularly amusing in order that he may better understand your enjoyment of the show.

I think most TV viewers in the world, when talking about comedy shows they enjoy, could list a number of scenes and individual lines from those shows that they found particularly amusing.

Don't you?

I've become intrigued by this thread because I've not seen any of Ghosts and from all the comments I'm going to check out the first episode. I know within a few minutes if I'm going to stick with something because the humour tickles me or if it's a weak gag fest with poorly developed characters and makes me change the channel and skip it for evermore after ten minutes. I can't comment without seeing it but with so many characters it's going to take some hard slog to make the script work with so many parts to write for.

In fairness to Old Lady Leg, she's got better reason than most to enjoy "Ghosts" as she watches it with a much-loved youngster who finds the show hilarious.

Children's happiness and enjoyment are, as we all know, highly infectious and they add considerably to our own during any shared activity.

I sometimes turn on the TV and, for a few seconds, find myself confronted by Peppa Pig or something else similarly inane. Quite often, I'm still watching it five minutes later and thoroughly enjoying it - and I have no young kiddies to blame! Laughing out loud

Quote: Rood Eye @ 13th May 2019, 8:19 PM

If Garyd were inviting you to a debate, I could understand your reluctance to argue with him because, as you say, it might just be that your senses of humour are incompatible with each other and therefore it's very unlikely that either of you is ever going to agree that something you previously thought funny or unfunny is, in fact, the very opposite.

However, he's not asking you to debate the matter: he simply asking you (and others who think the show is funny) to explain what scenes or individual lines you find particularly amusing in order that he may better understand your enjoyment of the show.

I think most TV viewers in the world, when talking about comedy shows they enjoy, could list a number of scenes and individual lines from those shows that they found particularly amusing.

Don't you?

I'm not going to, because I don't need or want to. Also...I, personally, find Ghosts funny. Not because my daughter finds it funny. I'm very glad she does, though. Also my older daughter does too. I guess they must share my sense of humour. It's a bit insulting to imply adults only like it if they have kids or are immature and/or stupid.

A series isn't unfunny just because someone has that opinion of it...and, if others DO find it funny, it would be really nice if they could be afforded the space to actually enjoy it, rather than having to explain why over and over again. Ta.

Quote: Old Lady Leg @ 13th May 2019, 9:33 PM

It's a bit insulting to imply adults only like it if they have kids or are immature and/or stupid.

I agree entirely but I don't know why you mention it in reply to a post of mine - as I have certainly never said any such thing in my life, either about you or about anybody else on BCG.

I said that your young daughter's unbridled enjoyment of the show very probably adds to your own enjoyment when the two of you watch it together.

I also added that I myself often find myself enjoying Peppa Pig and other children's programmes, even when I watch them alone. I certainly don't consider myself to be immature and/or stupid.

I suggest therefore that what I said about your enjoyment of "Ghosts" is both absolutely true and entirely inoffensive.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 13th May 2019, 8:35 PM

I've become intrigued by this thread because I've not seen any of Ghosts and from all the comments I'm going to check out the first episode. I know within a few minutes if I'm going to stick with something because the humour tickles me or if it's a weak gag fest with poorly developed characters and makes me change the channel and skip it for evermore after ten minutes. I can't comment without seeing it but with so many characters it's going to take some hard slog to make the script work with so many parts to write for.

You needed to get to the third episode. The first was the set up, the second was just the ghosts chasing her round but after that I kept laughing out loud. Most of the characters are great and it's a unique way to get lots of different characters involved.

Just finished episode 5.
It would have been mildly entertaining if not for some of the stupidly unfunny attempts at humour.

It's all peoples tastes I suppose. For instance I was never a great fan of Rising Damp.

Chappers don't say things like that it scares me!

Blimey. There's never anywhere near this much discussion about shows we actually like is there? Mystifying. Anyway for what it's worth I laughed at the Friends gags tonight, really starting to enjoy each Ghost's little quirks

Quote: garyd @ 13th May 2019, 10:03 PM

Just finished episode 5.
It would have been mildly entertaining if not for some of the stupidly unfunny attempts at humour.

Yes, the attempted handing the bottle of wine to the annoying black, female ghost and inevitable breaking on the floor was painful!

Quote: gb901 @ 13th May 2019, 10:47 PM

the annoying black female ghost

I wonder what the response would have been if I'd said that? Laughing out loud

Five episodes in and that's the assigned name. Or maybe that's the name of the character.

Quote: gb901 @ 13th May 2019, 10:47 PM

Yes, the attempted handing the bottle of wine to the annoying black, female ghost and inevitable breaking on the floor was painful!

You mean Kitty.