Mister Winner

Mister Winner. Image shows from L to R: Chris Smith (Shaun Williamson), Lesley Winner (Spencer Jones), Jemma (Lucy Pearman).

Mister Winner

Sitcom starring Spencer Jones as an eternally-optimistic klutz

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Friday 8th September 2017, 11:43pm
  • England
  • 16,533 posts

Second one in, hmmm. Not sure what to make of this, but can't see it being offered a series. Some half good jokes, but when one of them is a play/pun on the word Koi/Coy for shy large goldfish..................... :|

zooo

• Saturday 9th September 2017, 12:00am
  • United Kingdom
  • 69,189 posts

I bloody hated him, but it was strangely watchable.
Luckily the other main character was a lot more likeable.

Sitcomfan64

• Saturday 9th September 2017, 12:18am
  • England
  • 632 posts

I concur, main character was too much of an annoying dick to be endearing, why the hell was she with him! I did laugh but wouldn't watch a series

JamesSmith01

• Saturday 9th September 2017, 7:50am [Edited]
  • United Kingdom
  • 1 posts

I liked it but I was expecting something like Frank Spencer or Mr Bean. The first scene on the train, he could have had to run for it or fell over but to me he wasn't as 'prone to accidents'. IF they did a series, make him more like Frank breaking everything he touches, you know?

Paul Wimsett

• Saturday 9th September 2017, 8:23am
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,339 posts

Victor in One Foot in the Grave.
(Tom) Chance in Chance in a Million.
Any more ironical names for losers?

Charlie Boy

• Monday 11th September 2017, 12:47pm
  • Edinburgh, Scotland
  • 548 posts

The Comedy Playhouse has been a complete waste of time and money. So far, both have been absolutely abysmal.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th September 2017, 8:23 AM

Mr Bean?
Has Been!

ComedyBloke

• Monday 11th September 2017, 1:09pm
  • United Kingdom
  • 10 posts

Brilliant! Loved it. Should defo be a series. Spencer another loveable fall-down-get-back-up-again character that us Brits love so much. Romesh as creepy AirBNB host. Shaun brilliant as usual. Aimee-Ffion Edwards the long-suffering girlfriend. Dorothy the mum. 'I haven't had a relationship for thirty years. I've been with your father!' Boom! BBC you have my permission to spend my license fee on this. More please.

gbcomsrule

• Thursday 14th September 2017, 1:43pm [Edited]
  • grimsby, England
  • 37 posts

Thought it was excellent! Hope it gets picked up. Aimee very good in Detectorists, and in this. More please!

Chappers

• Thursday 14th September 2017, 8:21pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,770 posts

Nothing special. An amalgamation of different sitcom characters and events.

Alfred J Kipper

• Wednesday 27th December 2017, 9:58am [Edited]
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,057 posts

There will be a series of this, for good or bad. I didn't see the pilot but the blurb makes it sound like a Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em copy. Why do it then if it's been done? And isn't it another kick in the teeth to writers from the Beeb who keep telling them not to write sitcoms similar to others?

I'm thinking are they trying to recreate Frank Spencer without the mentally ill/retarded connotations it's sadly picked up in modern times. I also haven't seen the great sitcom on TV for a while when repeats used to be a staple, especially at Christmas. Do I smell a PC rat? They've even chosen the lead actor with the name Spencer. Hmm...

Hercules Grytpype Thynne

• Thursday 28th December 2017, 7:04am
  • England
  • 16,533 posts

Good God, I've just noticed I started this thread and have no recollection of the programme................................just shows how funny it was.

AND NOW I have just noticed next to this on my desk top is news that the Beeb has ordered a full series - the mind boggles. :S

Sitcomfan64

• Thursday 28th December 2017, 10:06am [Edited]
  • England
  • 632 posts

Was just about to come and post the same thing - I don't recall much of it, but I see my reaction was one of hate for the main character, so obviously won't watch a series of him!

Sitcomfan64

• Thursday 26th March 2020, 9:08am
  • England
  • 632 posts

I see the series of this started yesterday. Did anybody watch episode 1? Apparently the whole lot is on iPlayer.

Chappers

• Thursday 26th March 2020, 8:26pm
  • Surreyish., England
  • 30,770 posts

Where? I see like Herc that I posted having watched it but remember nothing about it.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 9th September 2017, 8:23 AM

I obviously missed this post 3 years ago but Victor had never occurred to me before!