Yes Minister Page 9

Yes Minister. James Hacker (Paul Eddington). Copyright: BBC.

Yes Minister

Political satire in which well-meaning MP Jim Hacker has a fast introduction to the world of Whitehall and must then struggle against the Civil Service

Natalie Salat

• Saturday 17th August 2019, 7:50am
  • Tasmania, Australia
  • 32 posts

Back to Yes (Prime) Minister...

In the computer game, Bernard warns Jim Hacker not to choose Scotland the Brave as a song for his Desert Island Discs radio interview as it might imply support for devolution. Judging from Humphrey's comments in The Official Visit, he has a low opinion of Scotland and its people so i would wager that he and Bernard didn't support the 1970s referendum on a Scottish Executive and Assembly, either

Natalie Salat

• Wednesday 29th January 2020, 10:11pm
  • Tasmania, Australia
  • 32 posts

I'm writing a fanfiction where the United Kingdom of Yes Minister is transported to our world on the evening of September 11 2001. How will Hacker and the others who are from a fictional 1980s deal with the crisis, is the question that i hope to answer in this story. Also, in Yes (Prime) Minister, the Foreign Office, apart from being completely disconnected from what PM Hacker wants, has contempt for Americans, so i can't see them working well with the 2001 American government.

john tregorran

• Wednesday 29th January 2020, 10:27pm
  • mornington,victoria, Australia
  • 1,472 posts

I think the UK Foreign Office has always had contempt for foreigners.:) Where will we be able to read your opus?

Teddy Paddalack

• Wednesday 29th January 2020, 10:49pm
  • Everton, England
  • 3,190 posts

The FO holds everyone in contempt its the skill that gave them the edge in days of Empire and as they are charged with holding our place in the world they can and do over ride the PM and Chancellor if needs be.

Alfred J Kipper

• Sunday 2nd February 2020, 11:22am [Edited]
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,268 posts

I want to post on YPM but it doesn't have its own thread. Assuming this one covers both then just wanted to say after watching a superb Sir Humphrey deflating ep of YPM, which has lost none of its brilliance since I first saw it, how much of it was just three characters bouncing off each other to sitcom perfection.

A great lesson to scribblers, this and Hancock, Steptoe & Son, Likely Lads, much of Porridge centred around a bare minimum of characters and are all highly regarded for their scripts. In other words, you could hardly do better than watching these to learn your trade. YM or YPM can show you how clever snappy dialogue can transform any middling or confined setting or situation, imo, my advice give it a go.

Paul Wimsett

• Tuesday 25th February 2020, 8:30am
  • Folkestone, United Kingdom
  • 3,392 posts

If only this show was no longer relevant. Happy birthday.

chipolata

• Tuesday 25th February 2020, 9:45am
  • England
  • 30,082 posts

Sir Humphrey would be horrified at Boris Johnson and Priti Patel's current attacks on the civil service.

Natalie Salat

• Tuesday 31st March 2020, 4:14am
  • Tasmania, Australia
  • 32 posts

I kind of want to write an AU where Hacker has a second daughter that's quite a bit younger than the series's Lucy. Young enough that Bernard always sneaks her biscuit or two from a tin he has in his desk. We never really saw Jim Hacker dealing with a young child or how Humphrey and the rest would use it.

chipolata

• Tuesday 31st March 2020, 6:48am
  • England
  • 30,082 posts
Quote: Natalie Salat @ 31st March 2020, 4:14 AM

I kind of want to write an AU where Hacker has a second daughter that's quite a bit younger than the series's Lucy. Young enough that Bernard always sneaks her biscuit or two from a tin he has in his desk. We never really saw Jim Hacker dealing with a young child or how Humphrey and the rest would use it.

Get writing!

Although in some ways Jim Hacker was the young child and Sir Humphrey and Bernard were his parents.

Alfred J Kipper

• Tuesday 31st March 2020, 10:27am [Edited]
  • Aldershot, England
  • 6,268 posts

I'm pretty sure they did a contagious disease ep but can't remember if there was a national lockdown or not. If anyone knows if there was can they post the episode's outcome to the current PM as I'm sure it ended well. Just follow that would be my advice.

Natalie Salat

• Friday 22nd May 2020, 12:49pm [Edited]
  • Tasmania, Australia
  • 32 posts

I've wanted to do a YPM fanfiction where Sir Humphrey is like Francis Urquhart from "House of Cards" - putting rat poison in Frank Wiesel's cocaine and arranging for Dorothy Wainwright to be blown up by a car bomb.