Yes Minister Page 11

It was at a small one-day festival of old television and film. He'd just published his biography recently and was selling and signing) copies, as well as appearing on stage to talk about his career. During a period when another screening was going on, I sat down and had a chat with him and picked up a copy. Can't remember enough to relay any of the conversation, but he was very pleasant.

lucky you, i'm jealous. did he hug anyone or say nice to meet them or anything like that? i wish i was alive earlier and could've hopefully met & written to him, paul & nigel.

Quote: ypmfan @ 9th August 2023, 5:22 PM

did he hug anyone or say nice to meet them or anything like that?

He was certainly saying things like that, yes. I don't remember any hugging specifically but he was allowing people to take photos with him so it's likely!

sorry for my slow replies Aaron. that sounds lovely. was this when he just released his book, so around 2016 or so I believe he released it?

Quote: ypmfan @ 10th August 2023, 3:44 PM

sorry for my slow replies Aaron. that sounds lovely. was this when he just released his book, so around 2016 or so I believe he released it?

Yeah. I would guess maybe a year after. Something like that. 🙂

i'm really jealous of you either way. i've always heard good things about derek. does anyone here have discord and want to be friends? i do check these forums a few times daily, same with reddit, but i'm more active on discord.

i just miss the person i used to roleplay with with y(p)m. so like fanfiction, if you look up some y(p)m fanfics (not that i've read any yet), that's like what i mean, but them being actors rather than the political stuff. it may sound odd yes but it's common people do that, for me it's a coping mechanism.

Can't help on that front I'm afraid, but happy to discuss the show here! Hopefully someone will pop up soon who is into the fan roleplay. :)

Quote: Aaron @ 10th August 2023, 6:15 PM

Can't help on that front I'm afraid, but happy to discuss the show here! Hopefully someone will pop up soon who is into the fan roleplay. :)

hopefully. i had someone i used to roleplay with on tumblr but they abandoned me in december over a silly argument that they escalated, long story but that's irrelevant here i suppose. i'm still trying to recover from it.

yes i try to be hopeful but it's not the same without them, and no one seems to want and know how to roleplay like that.

Would the fan role play equate to dressing up like Jim Hacker? There were very few women in the show though - well, Mrs Hacker, Lucy Hacker and Jim's political advisor whom Sir Humphey called "that dear lady."

It's a very clever show and as a former civil servant it's pretty accurate. I own all of the series on a box set but I haven't removed it from the plastic wrapping.

Oh mint condition

I'll give you a fiver for it!

Quote: MrsLogicFromViz @ 12th August 2023, 10:44 AM

Would the fan role play equate to dressing up like Jim Hacker? There were very few women in the show though - well, Mrs Hacker, Lucy Hacker and Jim's political advisor whom Sir Humphey called "that dear lady."

It's a very clever show and as a former civil servant it's pretty accurate. I own all of the series on a box set but I haven't removed it from the plastic wrapping.

no, the roleplaying is like fanfiction. so pretending to be married to bernard/derek, and playing jim, humphrey etc aswell. but without the political side, just them as actors, and adding other characters such as annie, lucy (but she was a little kid), mine & bernard's parents (mine being different to my parents in real life of course), some friends, bernard's crazy aunt, etc. that's how i did it with the person on tumblr who sadly abandoned me over a small argument they escalated & said hurtful things to me back in december which i'm still trying to recover from. possibly catfished me too.

but for an example, it's like this. for my character:

"hey." *hugs you.*

b (bernard) - hey. *hugs you back.*

or whatever initial for the character. like reading a script i guess. it's the only roleplaying i know, have done and liked, only with that person. i really miss them but that's irrelevant to this thread.

Quote: lofthouse @ 12th August 2023, 11:25 AM

Oh mint condition

I'll give you a fiver for it!

Nah mate - I'm saving it all up for a rainy day. I want to listen to all of the commentaries.

Quote: ypmfan @ 12th August 2023, 11:50 AM

no, the roleplaying is like fanfiction. so pretending to be married to bernard/derek, and playing jim, humphrey etc aswell. but without the political side, just them as actors, and adding other characters such as annie, lucy (but she was a little kid), mine & bernard's parents (mine being different to my parents in real life of course), some friends, bernard's crazy aunt, etc. that's how i did it with the person on tumblr who sadly abandoned me over a small argument they escalated & said hurtful things to me back in december which i'm still trying to recover from. possibly catfished me too.

but for an example, it's like this. for my character:

"hey." *hugs you.*

b (bernard) - hey. *hugs you back.*

or whatever initial for the character. like reading a script i guess. it's the only roleplaying i know, have done and liked, only with that person. i really miss them but that's irrelevant to this thread.

OK. I think that I might be a bit too old for fan fiction though! I used to love the other perm secs - like Sir Arnold. John Savident was also fab as Jumbo.

you're never too old for fanfiction and roleplaying, there's no age limit on it. there's people in their 40s & 50s, maybe older, doing it.

i would like to see a british tv discord or even just a y(p)m one. i don't feel comfortable making & running one myself. when i was on tumblr someone made one for me but then they deleted the discord, idk why. & there was one but it was hardly active, some rude members in it too.

It's hard to believe that it's been over 40 years since co-creators, Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn wrote the unbelievably brilliant British comedy, Yes Minister, and that it is more relevant today than when it first originated. Long praised for being accurate as well as funny, Lynn and Jay created brilliance out of a simple idea consisting of, as the writers put it, three elderly men sitting around talking about government while basing it on the premise that real power was held by civil servants rather than ministers.

For further proof that life does imitate art or vice versa, Yes Minister co-creator Jonathan Lynn has written a new stage play featuring Jim Hacker and Humphrey Appleby some 40+ years after the series premiered in February 1980 on BBC2.

I'm Sorry, Prime Minister, I Can't Quite Remember will run at the Barn Theatre in Cirencester from 25th September to 4th November 2023 showing how former PM Jim Hacker and Cabinet Secretary Humphrey Appleby are "faring in their old age and in the woke era", miles away from Whitehall.

i personally don't like when things are remade, it's not the same. i know there's a 2013 y(p)m but i refuse to watch it, same with these theatre shows. if it was derek, nigel and paul in australia then yes i would if i could, or even back in the day over here.

speaking of my last comment, there was a british tv discord from reddit but it's not active at all and the staff on that subreddit are extremely rude.

are there any other british tv sites i could check out to try and make friends, like this or similar?