Lost Sitcoms Page 2

The Steptoe recreation seems a bit forced as none of the Steptoe episodes are lost, although some are lost in their colour versions. I can't see why they couldn't have just restored it to colour like they've done with Dr Who as a 'celebration', as they worked. Colourising has come on since those Hal Roach L&H jobs (and some of them weren't too bad).

I really don't understand why they are including Steptoe & Son in this batch of lost recordings as every episode of that still exists. I know some of them exist in black and white and were originally colour recordings. As I mentioned before they could use modern technology to put the colour back, that would be much better than re-acting out any of the scripts.

Hancock should be very interesting, the radio lost Hancock's was really rather good. The Alf Garnett episode, they have managed to find the only politically correct lost script in existence, seems to me given the amount of Garnett stuff available and the nature of the original, as pointless as it will be toothless and out of time. As for Steptoe, these are not lost and therefore shouldn't be classed as such

Quote: Muddlecombe @ 1st September 2016, 2:11 PM

The Alf Garnett episode, they have managed to find the only politically correct lost script in existence

It's true that the episode is not littered with "poof" or "nigger", but politically correct it most certainly is not.

On the buses is definitely up for a remake - they could bring it up to date - lone driver behind plastic screen being abused by all manner of politically correct passengers ..and gratuitous LGBT..

Steptoe had to be included in any celebration of sitcom, given its historical importance and Galton and Simpson's contributions to the genre.

So what did everyone think of Till Death Us Do Part? I liked it, Simon Day did a surprisingly good Warren Mitchell impersonation; though that was all it was, not as good as the original, but then who could be. The script still stood up and I laughed a lot.

This is the only one of the three that I've already seen, and found myself watching it again rather than doing what I'd planned to. Which I think says a lot about the high quality. Wonderful performances from all.

And now I want fish and chips.

Reminded me of a fast show spoof, lot of gurning, and the part of Else was just terrible, Dandy Nichols was brilliant at the distant look and expression, her performance was subtle and subdued, this was more like a pantomime. I am big fan of Simon Day, Brian Pern being a personal favourite and his impression was alright, but then as said above that was all it was. It would have been more interesting, had they been alive, to see new interpretations by some of the actors who were considered for the part, Lionel Jeffries or Leo Mckern, but I didn't really see the point of this. The Hancock remake holds far more promise, if the radio series is anything to go by. But at the end of the day the originals are irreplaceable

Gleaned from the biog. of Pat Coombs I am presently reading, I would love to have a DVD of these two!

First regular appearance in a sitcom, with her dear friend Irene Handl and Bill Fraser - what a treat!!, but sadly it only ran for 6 episodes, and all are lost of "Barney is My Darling", written by Marty Feldman and Barry Took.

Then she was given her "own" sitcom with "Beggar My Neighbour", alongside the three other stars, starting out in sitcom world, Reg Varney, Peter Jones and June Whitfield - what more could you want for!

Well, as Jimmy Cricket used to say "And There's More" - Ronnie Barker, Arnold Ridley, John Junkin, Arthur English, James Beck, Julian Orchard, Jon Pertwee, Doris Hare, Harold Bennett, Carmen Silvera, Bill Pertwee, Bob Todd, Molly Weir, Felix Bowness, Queenie Watts, Geoffrey Palmer, Pamela Cundell etc. etc. etc.
A veritable smorgasbord of future sitcom talent!!

As I say, sadly no DVD, but a couple of episodes exist on YouTube.

Barney Is My Darling is high on my wishlist of discoveries!

Beggar My Neighbour is great. Really needs a release.

Quote: Aaron @ 7th September 2022, 11:18 AM

Barney Is My Darling is high on my wishlist of discoveries!

Yes - I love Irene Handl and Bill Fraser, so the two of them together + Pat Coombs = heaven sent comedy!

Quote: Aaron @ 7th September 2022, 11:18 AM

Beggar My Neighbour is great. Really needs a release.

Well, you're the man who knows the buttons to push ?

"Film enthusiasts have discovered three original lost episodes of classic BBC television series from the 1960s.

The episodes from sitcoms Sykes and a..., Hugh and I, and oil industry drama Mogul were recovered from privately-owned collections.

They have been missing from the BBC archives but will be returned so they can be digitally copied."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7592/missing-bbc-sitcoms-found-sykes-and-a-hugh-and-i/