Taking DNA...

I know serious subjects aren't usually discussed in this forum. But I just wanted to voice my disgust at DNA being taken from suspects when they are arrested. A friend of mines father was recently arrested for allegedly attacking three teenagers (I wish I was making it up).

This man, who is in his seventies and has suffered a systematic campaign of harrassment at the hands of these thugs, was not only accosted in the street by them, but later accused of attacking them and dragged off to the police station to be treated like a common criminal. Part of which involved having his DNA taken to shove on some database. So not only are his details swilling around the criminal justice system, but so are my friends since he shares about ninety percent of the same DNA as his father... I wouldn't mind if this kind of Big Brother overkill had resulted in a safer country for us all, but it patently hasn't.

I don't feel strongly about this but if the police did try to do something like this against my will then I would sue the arse off them citing human rights violation and I would probably win.

I think the governnment should either create a manditory databases honestly and openly instead of doing it by the back door (easy comedy writers :)) or stop retaining data against individuals who have not broken the law.

And that, my friends, is the Labour Party for you. :)

This REALLY bothers me. The Government want your DNA, and the now-politicised police are busting a gut to get it and keep it. One day I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes compulsory for us to give a DNA sample, along with fingerprints & iris scans. We must be the most docile people in the world to allow this.

Bad dog, have you not heard of ID cards? That's Labour's next lovely wheeze.

My new passport that i got last year has a chip in so they can see where i am in the world! THAT'S scary!

Yes, I know, but they haven't mentioned DNA in connection with it, as far as I know.

The new passport application procedures are the first step for the proposed future id card scheme, which in my opinion is a bit of a red herring. It makes docile people think of something like their Blockbuster DVD rental membership card, but it's the potentially huge database behind it, the National Identity Register, and the change in the relationship between the citizen and the state that we should be worried about.

Just what are the objections to having your DNA on a database? I really can't think of any reasons why the government should not have that information after all they know everything else about me just like the fact that Tescos know exactly what you eat and the Bank knows exactly what you spend your money on.

A DNA database would be very useful especially in improving the efficiency of the criminal process. Privacy is overated.

And there are the undeniable words of a left-wing nutjob. :)

Quote: Bad dog @ September 28, 2007, 5:57 PM

Yes, I know, but they haven't mentioned DNA in connection with it, as far as I know.

The whole point of it is that it will be linked to what the DNA database will become. Your card will hold "biometric" data. Apparently this includes stuff like eye scans, fingerprints and so on.

I'm with ajp29 on this one, I don't see what the problem is with the government holding a DNA sample of everyone? If you don't commit any crimes then you surely have nothing to fear?

chipolata, if I was wrongly arrested as your friend's father was, I'd happily give a DNA sample as that would be a quick way of proving innocence.

I also have no problems with carrying an ID card (although they can get stuffed if I've got to pay for it!)

Am I missing part of the argument?

I really can't be arsed to go through and dig out the exact points, facts and figures ('cos I'm a lazy bastard, mainly), but have a look here: http://www.no2id.net/

The causal laziness of a right wing maniac :P

I agree with the "left-wing maniacs" on this one: privacy is overrated. Why do people think that the government and police force are going to somehow use this information to undermine their entire existence? I have sympathy for the gov't and the police because they seem to be in a catch-22. If they take a proactive stance to security, they're called 'Big Brother' or 'fascist', but if they take a reactive stance, then people criticize them for not having instituted preventative measures.

People seem to forget that in 1984, it wasn't simply that the gov't had bits of information about its citizens, it was a full on police state with no habeas corpus.

I don't mind "them" watching me, seeing where i go, what i buy etc. Who cares...it doesn't ruin my everyday life as i'm not a criminal. I don't notice the 300 cameras a day following my moves, but i do feel safer knowing that if i was assualted it will probably be caught on camera making it one step closer to catching the bastard. I don't mind the ID cards either... if i don't feel/know my privacy is being "violated" then i don't mind.

The only thing i would worry about was if someone got hold of my ID card or the information that is on it and used it for the wrong reasons. And that is my only reservation...

GO ON - SPY ON ME...I dare ya!

Quote: Aaron @ September 28, 2007, 11:05 PM

I really can't be arsed to go through and dig out the exact points, facts and figures ('cos I'm a lazy bastard, mainly), but have a look here: http://www.no2id.net/

Yes, if you want to know what all this REALLY means, follow Aaron's link. If you are one of the docile sheep who will go along with everything, well, have a nice day.