Taking DNA... Page 3

Quote: Mark @ September 29, 2007, 12:08 PM

I don't think they'd manage to pre-empt but it would help bring people to justice quickly and that's why I'm all for a national DNA bank.

If everyone's DNA was recorded in a database it would make heinous crimes like rape near on impossible to get away with - the police wouldn't need to waste time or money trying to work out who did it, they'd just need to find where they're hiding. That speed and cost saving and increased prosecution rate has to be something we all want?

but you're assuming DNA testing is 100% full proof ! Which it isn't. Wouldn't it be a better idea to eletronically tag everyone from birth, and use satelite tracking to pinpoint who was in the area (within a metre say) of a crime scene. with your desire to eradicate crime, and your 'nothing to hide' status, i presume you think this a good idea??!!!

Quote: ShoePie @ September 29, 2007, 12:28 PM

And you're working on the assumption it wont be :)

No, I'm just living in the real world. It'd be hacked within a month, even if the data was entered accurately in the first place.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ September 29, 2007, 12:28 PM

but you're assuming DNA testing is 100% full proof ! Which it isn't. Wouldn't it be a better idea to eletronically tag everyone from birth, and use satelite tracking to pinpoint who was in the area (within a metre say) of a crime scene. with your desire to eradicate crime, and your 'nothing to hide' status, i presume you think this a good idea??!!!

Dammn you Nick Rivers!!! (shakes fist at screen) :) With your logical arguements. Now I have to spend the rest of my day thinking about it!!! I wouldn't want to go that far, I just have to work out why.

It's like those shows where they tell people about their genetic makeup and how it means that they come from a small village named Ofhduisdfgagat in Outer Mongolia. In the words of a poster on another site I frequent, "Those tests are like saying that because you have hair, four limbs and a nose, you are 43% dog."

I think the arguments for a database are compelling especially for solving crimes like rape. As regrads Nick River's point soon the government will be tracking our every move through road charging via GPS so his point isn't as crazy as it sounds but again I have no problem with that either.

I see your point Nick - I certainly wouldn't want to be tracked to that degree. Especially if the tag gauges my speed (ajp29 obviously sticks to the speed limits better than me).

I don't think the DNA database infringes on privacy in the same way though - unless you commit a crime your record wouldn't ever be referenced (or if, as you say matching isn't 100% accurate, unlikely).

Quote: Mark @ September 29, 2007, 3:26 PM

I don't think the DNA database infringes on privacy in the same way though - unless you commit a crime your record wouldn't ever be referenced (or if, as you say matching isn't 100% accurate, unlikely).

But it's not just about DNA. It's about everything, from standard, boring old 'vital statistic' type stuff to your complete medical records. Most of which is indeed already kept anyway, and there are undoubtedly advantages, but I have severe problems with having everything stored and linked centrally like that, if only on a technical basis.