What are you reading right now? Page 242

Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years With Brian Clough by Duncan Hamilton.
A great portrait of a complex man. Sure, he could be cruel, nasty, kind and brilliant in the same breath. His knowledge and ability within the game was awesome.
Theres something laugh out loud on nearly every page.

The best manager England never had

A sobering visit to Auschwitz and Birkenau on my recent visit to Poland prompted an interest in reading more about the Holocaust, so I've read the following three books while struggling to stay awake during a week of 12-hour night shifts.

The Escape Artist (Jonathan Freedland) tells the story of Rudolph Vrba, a Slovakian Jew who managed to escape Auschwitz and delivered an extensively detailed and memorized account of the camp's functions and atrocities. His report reached all of the Allied leaders long before the camps were liberated, and hundreds of thousands of Jews perished as a result of Allied hesitancy to act.

The Volunteer (Jack Fairweather) details the heroic actions of Witold Pilecki, a patriotic Polish underground officer who purposely arranges to be interned at Auschwitz to form a resistance movement within the camp. He then escaped Auschwitz and attempted to rally the Allies to free the camp, but to no avail. He later led the resistance to Poland's new Soviet overlords and was eventually captured and executed by the puppet government.

Night (Elie Wiesel) is a short but powerful essay on the suffering and philosophical struggles of a young Romanian Jew during his time in Auschwitz and other camps.

The parallels between the Nazi genocide in Europe and Putin's lust for genocide in Ukraine are strong, and it must pain those who experienced Hitler's atrocities firsthand to see the same ugly monster rearing its head 80 years later. Never again? We must hope not.

Creation Stories: Riots, Raves and Running a Label - by Alan McGee

Meeting J D Salinger (the book)
A book about meeting J D Salinger
1. Meeting J D Salinger. By Dick Staines. 'I finally met Salinger near his home in Cornish. He looked old because the last photo was 45 years ago so he must have gotten older after that. He said 'The Catcher in the Rye' was all in the book and he was still writing and meditating but not publishing. Then he f**ked off, like forever.'
2. Meeting J D Salinger. By Fannie Rash. 'I finally met Salinger near his home in Cornish. He looked old because the last photo was 50 years ago so he must have gotten older after that. He said 'The Catcher in the Rye' was all in the book and he was still writing and meditating but not publishing. Then he f**ked off, like forever.'
3. Meeting J D Salinger. By Ivor Cocke. 'I finally met Salinger near his home in Cornish. He looked old because the last photo was 60 years ago so he must have gotten older after that. He said 'The Catcher in the Rye' was all in the book and he was still writing and meditating but not publishing. Then he f**ked off, like forever.'
4. Meeting J D Salinger. By Knobbe Ende. 'I finally met Salinger near his home in Cornish. He looked old because the last photo was 65 years ago so he must have gotten older after that. He said 'The Catcher in the Rye' was all in the book and he was still writing and meditating but not publishing. Then he f**ked off, like forever.'
5. Meeting J D Salinger. By Fingers Longbottom. 'I finally met Salinger near his home in Cornish. He looked old because the last photo was 70 years ago so he must have gotten older after that. He said 'The Catcher in the Rye' was all in the book and he was still writing and meditating but not publishing. Then he f**ked off, like forever.'
6. Meeting J D Salinger. By Lawde Dix. 'I finally met Salinger near his home in Cornish. He looked old because the last photo was 60 years ago so he must have gotten older after that. He said 'The Catcher in the Rye' was all in the book and he was still writing and meditating but not publishing. Then he f**ked off, like forever.'

Very disappointed with this one, as it was not what I thought it was going to be

Took me a while.

I wasn't sure who was looking the more pleased. Is that a smug look on Timothy's face?

Just about to start the Bob Mortimer book.

Just finished Russel Kane's "Son of a Silverback", about his early life, especially his relationship with his foul mouthed Essex father (think Mike Reid the comedian x 10), a nasty piece of work who hated the world basically, and the complete opposite of Russell - you would neve had thought they were related.

Good read .

Just (reluctantly) finishing this.
A very lovely book.
Best for a long time.

In the middle of Bob Mortimer's autobiography but decided to read Just William at Christmas after reading Martin Jarvis talking about his love of the character in today's Daily Mail.

Quote: Chappers @ 17th December 2022, 6:08 PM

In the middle of Bob Mortimer's autobiography but decided to read Just William at Christmas after reading Martin Jarvis talking about his love of the character in today's Daily Mail.

I'll see your Just William at Christmas and raise you:

No jokes please!

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 18th December 2022, 3:55 PM

I'll see your Just William at Christmas and raise you:

No jokes please!

Oooo, I'm SO tempted.................

That reminds me of a Private Eye record they gave away one Christmas with Father Christmas singing "Christmas comes but once a year and so do I,yippee!"

I see Bunter looks quite devilish in that picture.