What are you reading right now? Page 239

Quote: john tregorran @ 3rd May 2021, 12:15 AM

Plays by Ibsen.
The last one was Ghosts.A bit grim,the orphanage burning down came as some light relief.

I expect Skippy "squeaking" about it to the ranger helped ease the pain.

A Doll's House is an amazing comment on the plight of women, especially when you consider the period.
Scandinavian women coming to Italy are reminded to put their clocks back. 653 years.
Ibsen and Strindberg were Bergman's most common choices, followed by a lesser known Brit called Shakespeare and then Molière. There was a fascinating project running A Doll's House, Miss Julie and Scenes from a Marriage representing three stages in women's emancipation and three choices: escape, destruction or compromise. Sadly this was before the net, but there's the book A Project for the Theatre.

Bluebottle Goes To War: Peter Sellers & the RAF Gang Shows

Strictly one for the Goons fans (can't think there are many fans of the Gang Shows) as it is basically just a list (mind you, a detailed list) of where PS appeared all during the war, alongside the likes of Graham Stark, Cardew Robinson, and most surprising of all, Tony Hancock - I didn't realise the two of them worked so closely during the war.

Now, I am a Goons/Sellers fanatic (Bluebottle is one of Sellers' characters in The Goon Show, for those who may not know), but I found this a bit boring and the only interesting things in it for me are the excellent selection of photographs.

Barely a mention of The Goon Show :(

Still struggling with a Tale of Two Cities.

For some light relief in between I've been reading Eagle and Victor annuals that I used to have in the 1960s that I've re-bought on eBay.

So, reading wise, you're having the best of times and the worst of times.

Quote: Lazzard @ 24th May 2021, 6:58 PM

So, reading wise, you're having the best of times and the worst of times.

Nice.

Cool

I've written a book about Diana and Camilla. Charles' Dickings.

Subtitle "A Tale of Five Titties"

More Than Likely: A Memoir
by Dick Clement, Ian le Frenais

Just finished..........

Clever title, when you think about it, and a funny book I have thoroughly enjoyed reading, with wonderful anecdotes and amazing in my parochial eyes at the people they knew, worked with or wrote for, apart from the obvious Likely Lads, Porridge and Auf Wiedersehen.

Talk about name dropping - the only people they didn't meet, it seems, were Elvis and half of The Beatles. What a great life they have had, not realising "mere" script writers could live such a star studded life.

Tell you what I'm reading.
Two separate threads about what people are reading.
Is there a subtle difference I'm missing?

Quote: Lazzard @ 23rd February 2022, 10:25 AM

Tell you what I'm reading.
Two separate threads about what people are reading.
Is there a subtle difference I'm missing?

Confused me too for a minute!

Aaron!!!!!

One's 'what are you reading', the other one's 'what are you reading RIGHT NOW'! The difference is in the urgency! On which note I shall use the toilet emoticon! ?

How the f**k can Bunnies be Flopsy? They're rabbits, right?

Continuing to read Keith Richards' biog. "Life", and came to a section where he talked about his rare (only 68 RH were made) Bentley S3 Continental Flying Spur (with added secret compartment for dope), so was a bit intrigued and found out it was sold, fully refurbished, by Bonhams in 2015 for £ 763,100.
Given its rarity and celeb first owner, I would have thought it would have fetched more.

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22725/lot/366/

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 1st March 2022, 8:42 AM

How the f**k can Bunnies be Flopsy? They're rabbits, right?

Well if you hold them when they're dead they could be quite flopsy.