What are you reading right now? Page 246

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 27th July 2023, 9:42 PM

I bought Bigger Than Hitler, Better Than Christ by Rik Mayall today and instead of reading it I think I'm just going to stick it on the bonnet of my car.

I was looking forward to that, but I gave up after a page cos it's just a long character piece. Nothing wrong with that, but as a fan I was hoping for something more informative.
PS Pulp are shit.

The joys of reading J D Salinger
1961, 'Franny and Zooey': 'It's fairly shit.'
1963, 'Raise High... And Seymour': 'It's pretty shit.'
1965, 'Hapworth': 'F**k me, that's TOTAL f**king shit! Jeez, couldn't even f**king finish that f**king shit. F**king BEYOND total and utter f**king shit'.'
2023: Possibility of later Salinger finally being published: 'Oh my GOD, that is f**king just like totally f**king AWESOME news! Can't WAIT!!!!!!!'

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 4th August 2023, 4:10 PM

I was looking forward to that, but I gave up after a page cos it's just a long character piece. Nothing wrong with that, but as a fan I was hoping for something more informative.
PS Pulp are shit.

I've been jumping to chapters for that same reason. The writing style is very funny at first but not sure I could get through a whole autobiography like that and it makes it difficult to know what is true such as Rik describing how Alexei actually hit him with the butt of the rifle in The Young Ones episode Sick. Some nice photos in the book though and the one of him lay on the sofa with a mug of tea and jam on toast is poignant.

I watched a few episodes from Bottom series 3 recently and realised how dire it is. Worn jokes and predictable routines. Definitely should have stopped after series two but I'm guessing it lingered to help shift tickets for the stage show.

What's got 18 legs, bores the shit out of you and gives priests a boner? The Railway Children.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th August 2023, 5:29 PM

I've been jumping to chapters for that same reason. The writing style is very funny at first but not sure I could get through a whole autobiography like that and it makes it difficult to know what is true such as Rik describing how Alexei actually hit him with the butt of the rifle in The Young Ones episode Sick. Some nice photos in the book though and the one of him lay on the sofa with a mug of tea and jam on toast is poignant.

I watched a few episodes from Bottom series 3 recently and realised how dire it is. Worn jokes and predictable routines. Definitely should have stopped after series two but I'm guessing it lingered to help shift tickets for the stage show.

Yeah, it's too much. And too much of one thing is bad enough.
The Young Ones story is probably true, but I wrote about these '''accidents''' in another thread.
And yeah, Bottom is total and utter f**king shit. But I've been through this too.
Pulp are also shit.

How about Pulp?

Thoughts?

They are shit.
There's probably a book about them too. Bet it's shit though.

Pulp fiction ?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 4th August 2023, 5:33 PM

What's got 18 legs, bores the shit out of you and gives priests a boner? The Railway Children.

Yeah, it's too much. And too much of one thing is bad enough.
The Young Ones story is probably true, but I wrote about these '''accidents''' in another thread.
And yeah, Bottom is total and utter f**king shit. But I've been through this too.
Pulp are also shit.

I was blown away watching Rik Mayall on Terry Wogan in 1984. That's the year of the Wogan episode not an imaginary homo-erotic interpretation of George Orwell's novel through contemporary dance. He appeared in costume but was totally serious and sounded like he had a lot of business sense. Ernest with an unmatched determination and I can see why Paul Jackson had so much faith in Rik even though he was still just a small cock in the wazzle showbizzy world of jugs.

Quote: lofthouse @ 4th August 2023, 7:29 PM

Pulp fiction ?

Half shit.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 4th August 2023, 11:37 PM

I was blown away watching Rik Mayall on Terry Wogan in 1984. That's the year of the Wogan episode not an imaginary homo-erotic interpretation of George Orwell's novel through contemporary dance. He appeared in costume but was totally serious and sounded like he had a lot of business sense. Ernest with an unmatched determination and I can see why Paul Jackson had so much faith in Rik even though he was still just a small cock in the wazzle showbizzy world of jugs.

Classic appearance. And Wogan copes really well with a new style of performance.
Bottom is shit.

Lee Mack's autobiography. Written in 2013 (I think) and surprised WILTY has been going on so long.

Just waiting to see what he has to say about Karen Taylor.

Just finished biog. of Joan Sims 'Too Happy Face" **(surprised there is no thread for her), and she was a complex lady, with hang-ups and lots of worries, especially her weight in later years, which was exacerbated by her taking to the bottle and smoking heavy, AND it wasn't helped by her OTT snobbish mother (who thought she was above everyone else), who would make Joan's life a misery every time she tried to find love, and her mother slagged off ANY man she went out with as not being good enough for her daughter.

This all got worse after her very close friends Kenneth Williams and Hattie Jacques died.

** This refers to her outwardly jolly appearance that she thought held her back with serious parts, although she did a fair amount in her life, which also made her a money worrier, even though she was reasonably well off, although she thought she could have been a lot richer from the many, many repeats and residuals from the Carry On films, which was a bug-bear with most of the Carry On stars; BUT as was pointed out by Peter Rogers, they were all offered shares or one off fees, with them all preferring a fixed fee, so had no room to complain many years later, though this did leave much bitterness between the stars and producers.

Steve Jones - Lonely Boy , tales from a sex pistol

Read that last year. It is total and utter f**king shit.
Part One. I used to steal all the f**king time. Then I shagged all the f**king time. That was before I took f**king drugs all the f**king time.
Part Two. I used to shag all the f**king time. That was after I stole all the f**king time and before I was f**king taking f**king drugs all the f**king time.
Part Three. I used to f**king take f**king drugs all the f**king time. That was after I was f**king stealing and f**king shaggig all the f**king time.

Spoiler alert ffs!🥊

Yeah I pretty much knew what he was like ...

Steve Jones' autobiography part 763379: In-depth, previously unearthed meta-analysis of the socio-economic, political and psychological upheaval triggering arguably the most influential, controversial subculture of the last half-century: 'F**k, it was f**king shit. It was really f**king shit. It was f**king shit and I just wanted to get f**king pissed and f**king shagged. F**k, it was f**king shit.'