What are you reading right now? Page 245

What do you call a writer with no undies but a stick of dynamite down his pants? Nicholas Sparks.

The Hacienda, How not to run a club- Peter Hook

Jimmy Carr - Before and Laughter

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th May 2023, 10:37 PM

The Hacienda, How not to run a club- Peter Hook

I have an extremely rare copy. It's unsigned by Peter Hook.
Today in music history: On 18.5.17, Hooky does not give an on-line interview.
Personally I think New Order are massively overrated. I fell in love with the personality: few interviews back then, enigmatic titles and artwork, Factory, the Hassie, Dry Bar, Tony Wilson, Joy Division etc... Strip it all away and the quality and quantity of the actual music doesn't warrant the hype. Technique remains their most consistent effort, Power Corruption and Lies the most experimental, Substance the definitive compilation. Take or leave the rest, though Mucous Complete was a pleasant Surperise.
What did John Lennon say to Ian Curtis? I know you're depressed, but nothing to get hung about... What did John Lennon say to Ian Curtis the next day? Let me take you down.

I like depressed artists that follow through. Not enough do.

Wilson's coffin is FAC 501 !

😎🤣

Quote: chipolata @ 18th May 2023, 10:22 AM

I like depressed artists that follow through. Not enough do.

Give me Sylvia Plath over that drivel any day.

Describe Harry Potter in three words.
It is shit.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th May 2023, 11:42 PM

Jimmy Carr - Before and Laughter

Just finished...........................(I only read my books, a few pages a day, in the "library")

JIMMY CARR - BEFORE & LAUGHTER
"The hilarious guide to changing your life"

I'm not sure about the hilarious, as at its heart it was a serious book on how to make something of your life, with amusing anecdotes thrown in about things that happened to him on his way up, and why he decided an office job wasn't for him - there was something better in life, which he found and passes on his experiences to you.

Especially if you are a budding stand-up comedian, I highly recommend it, as there is a lot of sound advice, with an excellent article in Part 5 'Sad Clown' on depression.

Otherwise, a very enjoyable read, and not as dirty as I thought it was going to be. 😁

And he does amusingly tell his side of the story re his "tax avoidance"

**EDIT But being a book by Jimmy, it would be remiss of me if I didn't include some filth from the book :-

You can be charismatic and wish you had charm, or you can be charming and envy people who are charismatic. Ultimately, though, the smartest strategy is to figure out which one you are and lean in to it.

You would assume everyone who gets on stage is charismatic, but actually, nope. Donald Trump is charismatic - even if you f**king hated him, you have to admit it. Trump embodied "you come to me". Barack Obama though, have you ever experienced a more charming guy? Obama is more about that "I come to you" life. And they are both able to hold a crowd.

It's a great game to play. Next up, Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston: which one is charismatic? Angelina Jolie is helluva charismatic. That's someone you want to put on a pedestal. But who wouldn't want to be Jennifer Aniston's friend? She's charm personified. And both work - they both got to f**k Brad Pitt. Not at the same time, unfortunately though.

Let's take a moment and think about that for a minute.

And another minute................

And.......we're back.

John Cooper Clarke - I wanna be yours

Quote: emmaparson @ 18th July 2023, 11:45 AM

John Cooper Clarke - I wanna be yours

Read it

Spoiler alert - massive smack head

I'm a slow reader (because he can't write very fast) and I'm still reading The Walpole Orange by Frank Muir.

Coincidentally the last book I read was the Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer.

Quote: Chappers @ 19th July 2023, 9:21 PM

I'm a slow reader (because he can't write very fast) and I'm still reading The Walpole Orange by Frank Muir.

Coincidentally the last book I read was the Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer.

And I read A Clockwork Tangerine............(the non violent version)

I bought Bigger Than Hitler, Better Than Christ by Rik Mayall today and instead of reading it I think I'm just going to stick it on the bonnet of my car.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 15th July 2023, 9:14 AM

Just finished...........................(I only read my books, a few pages a day, in the "library")

JIMMY CARR - BEFORE & LAUGHTER
"The hilarious guide to changing your life"

I'm not sure about the hilarious, as at its heart it was a serious book on how to make something of your life, with amusing anecdotes thrown in about things that happened to him on his way up, and why he decided an office job wasn't for him - there was something better in life, which he found and passes on his experiences to you. And I also wrote a small paper on that reading; it was like an extra task for summer. And for the first time, I used such a tool https://studydriver.com/read-my-essay/, which was so helpful; it read my essay, and I understood better whether everything was good or something I needed to rewrite.

Especially if you are a budding stand-up comedian, I highly recommend it, as there is a lot of sound advice, with an excellent article in Part 5 'Sad Clown' on depression.

Otherwise, a very enjoyable read, and not as dirty as I thought it was going to be. 😁

And he does amusingly tell his side of the story re his "tax avoidance"

**EDIT But being a book by Jimmy, it would be remiss of me if I didn't include some filth from the book :-

You can be charismatic and wish you had charm, or you can be charming and envy people who are charismatic. Ultimately, though, the smartest strategy is to figure out which one you are and lean in to it.

You would assume everyone who gets on stage is charismatic, but actually, nope. Donald Trump is charismatic - even if you f**king hated him, you have to admit it. Trump embodied "you come to me". Barack Obama though, have you ever experienced a more charming guy? Obama is more about that "I come to you" life. And they are both able to hold a crowd.

It's a great game to play. Next up, Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston: which one is charismatic? Angelina Jolie is helluva charismatic. That's someone you want to put on a pedestal. But who wouldn't want to be Jennifer Aniston's friend? She's charm personified. And both work - they both got to f**k Brad Pitt. Not at the same time, unfortunately though.

Let's take a moment and think about that for a minute.

And another minute................

And.......we're back.

Thanks for this review, it was very interesting to read. I've not read it yet, but it's on my list.
And now I'm reading Mistakes Were Made (but Not by Me) Third Edition: Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris.
It's a psychology book, not the genre I usually prefer, but it's very interesting book