Only Connect Page 38

I believe at least three of them turned down knighthoods. Don't know if this is your connection though.

They all performed in drag-at least I can name parts that they have, apart from Albert Finney.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd November 2018, 8:45 AM

I believe at least three of them turned down knighthoods. Don't know if this is your connection though.

No flies on you, Alfred!

They all turned down knighthoods.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd November 2018, 8:51 AM

No flies on you, Alfred!

Not sure about that, I didn't know the Alastair Sim one and I'm a fan, obviously not a big one.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd November 2018, 8:51 AM

No flies on you, Alfred!

That's a good one if correct (re Alf's query) and I'll look into it when I have a bit more time, as I have plenty of time (!) to research it before Autumn next year.

Ah yes, now Alf, while I have your attention - are you going to lay you wall connections on me for future use? Ta, please, thank you very much in anticipation. :)

What is the connection between these 4 clues?

Judge Judy

Natalie Wood

Pamela Anderson

Stan Laurel

Stan & Pam re-married the same spouce, so maybe they all did ? Stan was a comedic genius and great actor and Pam... it's probaly the marrage thing.

Quote: Firkin @ 2nd November 2018, 1:42 PM

Stan & Pam re-married the same spouce, so maybe they all did ? Stan was a comedic genius and great actor and Pam... it's probaly the marrage thing.

Correct, Firkin!

They all married the same person twice.

Another good one :) At this rate I'll have 2020 sorted in a couple of months. Laughing out loud

Keep 'em coming. ;)

VI, IX, XI, ?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 2nd November 2018, 9:01 AM

Not sure about that, I didn't know the Alastair Sim one and I'm a fan, obviously not a big one.

For what it's worth, page 120 of Alastair Sim's biography, written bt Mark Simpson & published by The History Press in 2008 states:

"Alastair even achieved royal recognition when, on 1 June 1953, the Coronation honours listed that Alastair Sim 'actor' was to be awarded the CBE. The offer of the CBE did not sit very comfortably with Alastair. It meant more publicity but, perhaps more importantly, accepting it would mean associating himself with an elitist system, something he disliked intensely. In the end, after much soul searching, he accepted the award and gave the reason quoted in many different sources as 'in recognition of the number of appalling scripts I rejected'. [B]Later, when he was offered a knighthood[B], he returned to his principles and respectfully declined it on the basis that everyone was equal."

Thanks for the reference, Billy.

I believe the year in which he declined a knighthood was 1973.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd November 2018, 4:43 PM

VI, IX, XI, ?

I'm assuming Paul is being economical with the dialogue here and is hoping we are all bright enough to recognise his post as a "What's the 4th in the sequence?" question.

Accordingly, I'm going to suggest XII which certainly completes a sequence although there may be another sequence that Paul has in mind.

Where does the IV fit with that sequence?

Economy=style...

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd November 2018, 7:49 PM

Where does the IV fit with that sequence?

I don't see an IV.