Only Connect Page 39

This is why I don't write for Only Connect. Anyone got a better answer?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd November 2018, 7:49 PM

Where does the IV fit with that sequence?

The only thing I can see is that the IV makes the second two a mirror of the first two - a sort of palindrome if you will. Yes/No?

I'll use it next year if you don't mind - not sure whether it would get beyond the pitch, but you never know and in 2020 you can see it on'telly and say "I wrote that" :D

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd November 2018, 7:11 AM

the IV

I don't see an IV.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd November 2018, 7:11 AM

The only thing I can see is that the IV makes the second two a mirror of the first two - a sort of palindrome if you will. Yes/No?

If you mean that the sequence is VI, IX, XI, IV, I would respectfully suggest that that isn't a sequence as there is no rule by which one can progress from the 1st number to the 2nd and thence to the 3rd and 4th.

It's XV; Roman numerals of two digits in numerical order. I suppose you use differently numbers so it doesn't appear to be a palindrome.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 3rd November 2018, 8:31 AM

It's XV; Roman numerals of two digits in numerical order.

That makes sense.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 2nd November 2018, 7:49 PM

Where does the IV fit with that sequence?

Quote: Rood Eye @ 2nd November 2018, 7:58 PM

I don't see an IV.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 3rd November 2018, 8:13 AM

I don't see an IV.
If you mean that the sequence is VI, IX, XI, IV, I would respectfully suggest that that isn't a sequence as there is no rule by which one can progress from the 1st number to the 2nd and thence to the 3rd and 4th.

Initially I was clutching at straws and trying to fit IV in that you both brought into the equation., but looking at it now, yes it should be IV, VI, IX, XI, which would make more sense.

I like it as I have just had a similar one accepted for Series 15, so will save that to pitch next year to the OC editor.
Thank you Paul

:)

Gene Simmons
Art Garfunkel
JK Rowling
John Cleese

Quote: Kenneth @ 3rd November 2018, 10:16 AM

Gene Simmons
Art Garfunkel
JK Rowling
John Cleese

You've got me - I don't think you could have found a more diverse set of four people.
:S

School teachers before they were famous.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2018, 7:24 AM

You've got me - I don't think you could have found a more diverse set of four people.
:S

Except Gene Simmons and Art Garfunkel are both American musicians while John Cleese was in several Harry Potter films.

Quote: Kenneth @ 4th November 2018, 8:13 AM

School teachers before they were famous.

Fair enough.

What's the connection between these 4 clues?

Wise

Whistle

Dreadful

Black

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 9:29 AM

What's the connection between these 4 clues?

Wise

Whistle

Dreadful

Black

Penny

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th November 2018, 9:46 AM

Penny

Well done, Herc.

Quote: Rood Eye @ 4th November 2018, 9:49 AM

Well done, Herc.

Ta :D

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 4th November 2018, 8:54 AM

Except Gene Simmons and Art Garfunkel are both American musicians while John Cleese was in several Harry Potter films.

You don't say, and there m'lud, I put it to you my case is proven.

I don't know how far you want to take it, but also two of them are Jewish with one having the same initials as Jesus Christ, three are male, three are under six foot tall, two.............................................................. :P

But seriously the OC editor would have turned it down as they have this odd "rule" that they all should be the same stable (say American) or all four be different nationalities.
And yes, I know, you will see that flouted on the quiz, which makes it so difficult to pitch, apart from all the bloody double referencing and supplying some fascinating bit of trivia for VCM - summat that they have gone big on in the last two/three series you may have noticed.