Only Connect Page 35

I read they cocked up big time last night
They played the wrong requiem for Diana's funeral.

Hope it wasn't a Herc question.

The best thing about that question was that neither of the teams knew the answer. Good for them for not having tuned into or recalled that ridiculously horrendous spectacle of emotional manipulation of the pathetic shallow masses.

Glad to see two of this year's most likeable teams into the final. The Escapologists' captain has two very strong teammates. Not looking forward to it going off air. Is there anything else worth watching quiz-wise from the UK? I don't think I can bear to hear Alexander Armstrong say "and these are today's contestants".

Countdown is good

We had the same show (a Countdown clone, called Letters and Numbers) in Australia for a few years, but it was deemed too dull and died. Thankfully, it had a bit less banter than the British version. And its resident word-whizz didn't have a laptop in front of him. Instead, he was the country's most prominent lexicographer and had a massive dictionary on his table. I was upset when the show was replaced by Australia's Wildest Police Home-Bake-Offs on Ice.

I hope Only Connect will run forever.

Frank Paul for the win. Great series. Slightly tougher wall for the Belgophiles in the final.

Mizone, incidentally, is an Indonesian sports energy drink (sugar water).

Back on BBC2 8pm Monday 22 October.

Good. Are you in one of the teams, Bunter? Even if you're not, what would your team be called? The Grey Fryers? The Obverse Owlets?

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 20th October 2018, 8:48 PM

Back on BBC2 8pm Monday 22 October.

Laughing out loud You beat me to it. I was going to post last night but was too tired - it's a hard life being a question setter Rolling eyes ................

Here's what I typed up ready to read again this morning for typos, before posting :-

Series 14 starts tomorrow night on BBC2 at 8.00.

I was more successful with my questions over previous years with this series, but for the life of me cannot remember how many they finally took as sometimes they are cut or added at the last moment when they see a problem with one of the connections, and it was a year ago! For e.g. now waiting to hear how many they will be taking of the 50 odd I pitched for Series 15 that they are working on right now for recording early next year.

So that's what you've been up to. I've got a few I wrote down but don't know how to send them, any advice?

Quote: Kenneth @ 21st October 2018, 5:13 AM

Good. Are you in one of the teams, Bunter? Even if you're not, what would your team be called? The Grey Fryers? The Obverse Owlets?

We thought maybe "The Removers". A certain prospective teammate wanted to call ourselves "The Cherry Pickers" but I don't see why that cad should have top billing since he will obviously be relying on me to come up with all the answers...

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 21st October 2018, 9:21 AM

So that's what you've been up to. I've got a few I wrote down but don't know how to send them, any advice?

Well, of course, you are way too late for this year's submissions for Series 15; but if you enjoy severe frustration, banging your head against a brick wall and rejection then email them, to get put on "The List" of hopefuls like me. NO GOOD doing it now as they will be far too busy with next year's series and you MIGHT get a look in for 2020 IF you are lucky.

There are some 50 + nerks like me and I think some 5 contracted question setters, so you see if you get ONE accepted you are doing well. ONLY SUBMIT Connections or Sequences and IF you hear back from them you will be asked to submit Missing Vowels at a later date. DO NOT submit Walls as they are now, as of a couple of years ago, only put together by a select few..................of which I am not and am OK with that as they are a lot of work!! For e.g. EACH connection of the Wall must have TWO SOLID verifications (NO Wiki at all!), which may not sound much, but it is VERY frustrating when you think you have a good "set" of four (for whatever that maybe) but cannot find two really good references to verify your work.

Believe it or not, even referencing to a BBC source can be rejected if it is tenuous or dodgy.

I hope my encouragement :D gives you hope to pursue your dream....................

http://www.parasolmedia.co.uk/

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st October 2018, 9:56 AM

We thought maybe "The Removers". A certain prospective teammate wanted to call ourselves "The Cherry Pickers" but I don't see why that cad should have top billing since he will obviously be relying on me to come up with all the answers...

Fat Owls

http://www.parasolmedia.co.uk/onlyconnect/apply.html

Oh I can't be bothered with anything complicated like that, referencing was the bain of my studenting days. Write write write is all I want to do, freedom baby. Reading's a chore. And I made about five walls so that's stuffed it. But they are easily converted into those sequences of four so maybe I'll let you have 'em as you're already on the payroll.

Put them up here, Alf. Hope they're as easy as my efforts:

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 21st October 2018, 9:56 AM

I would sooner have Coker of the Fifth, rather than Bob Cherry, on my team. He certainly wouldn't tolerate any silly questions.