Angus Deayton - Paul Merton feud Page 2

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 5th November 2014, 9:15 AM GMT

I have just finished reading Paul Merton's autobiography and have come to the conclusion - he is a cock.

He does mention the feud but says it was engineered. But like most things in his book, he doesn't go into enough detail - he's a great skimmer past awkward things (and surely that's why we buy and read autobiographies).

This seems like admirable behaviour.

As someone who has read Rolf Harris's autobiography, it is probably best to say that a lot of things can be left out...

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 5th November 2014, 8:41 AM GMT

Que? Have I missed something momentous in the comedy world?

It was really quite well publicised! He's been at ITV for seven series now, having finished his BBC show way back in Summer 2010. Where have you been?! :)

Am I alone in not finding Merton's painfully contrived surreal humour just not funny. Maybe AD's lines were scripted but he knew how to deliver them unlike most of his subsequent stand-ins

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 4th November 2014, 10:42 PM GMT

didn't Merton briefly appear in The Young Ones?

Which episode and which scene?

EDIT: Found the clip on YouTube. Nice bit of trivia.

Now you can grey that out, Aaron. ;)

Quote: Alexei Q @ 5th November 2014, 2:22 PM GMT

Am I alone in not finding Merton's painfully contrived surreal humour just not funny. Maybe AD's lines were scripted but he knew how to deliver them unlike most of his subsequent stand-ins

Agree that Deayton was the classic host, but love Merton too.

Am I alone in not finding Merton's painfully contrived surreal humour just not funny.

I thought Paul Whitehouse summed his recent (past 10 years or so) work up excellently in Harry and Paul do the Twos ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2z-AdzgKjY

Laughing out loud

Great clip!

Great video. Thanks for that!

Quote: Aaron @ 5th November 2014, 12:42 PM GMT

It was really quite well publicised! He's been at ITV for seven series now, having finished his BBC show way back in Summer 2010. Where have you been?! :)

I was attempting ironic humour Aaron! I haven't just crawled out behind a rock...honest!

Quote: Aaron @ 5th November 2014, 12:42 PM GMT

I was attempting ironic humour Aaron! I haven't just crawled out behind a rock...honest!

Quote: fasty @ 5th November 2014, 9:12 PM GMT

I thought Paul Whitehouse summed his recent (past 10 years or so) work up excellently in Harry and Paul do the Twos ....

"Dolphin in a bath." Fantastic.

Quote: fasty @ 5th November 2014, 9:12 PM GMT

Laughing out loud

That was very Vic and Bob.

Quote: Lee @ 6th November 2014, 8:36 AM GMT

Laughing out loud

That was very Vic and Bob.

Excellent, I'd forgotten how funny that was and quite how talented Harry Enfield was at doing impressions.

Back to the Deayton/Merton affair, it would be good to hear the former on JAM.

No you are not. :)

He is OK I suppose, but (I have brought this up before elsewhere) it annoys me when he explains his jokes on HIGNFY and if you look at old episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway, he clearly is lost when they have to do improv., often repeating what the "experts",for example Sessions, Stiles, Mochrie, Lawrence and Proops do, and yet he is supposed to be good at it - can't see it.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 6th November 2014, 8:50 AM GMT

No you are not. :)

He is OK I suppose, but (I have brought this up before elsewhere) it annoys me when he explains his jokes on HIGNFY and if you look at old episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway, he clearly is lost when they have to do improv., often repeating what the "experts",for example Sessions, Stiles, Mochrie, Lawrence and Proops do, and yet he is supposed to be good at it - can't see it.

I write as someone who really admires Merton's work and even sat through his live Palladium Show in the 90s where Richard Vranch sported a red bikini (yes, really). Merton's great when he's allowed to indulge his surreal flights of fancy and if paired with Ross Noble the whole thing goes completely hatstand. However, we must not lose sight of the fact that HIGNFY is a topical news quiz and should try and keep on track as much as possible. He's also mercurial and often just sits there looking bored and explaining failed jokes straight to camera.

As for WLIIA? Absolutely agree, he was bloody awful - physically awkward with no drama training; the others managed to salvage any scene he was in. I went to The Comedy Store to see The Comedy Store Players live once and he was the weakest performer. Josie Lawrence was fab though.

I did enjoy his joke last week though that he attributed to Max Miller, although I have never heard Max crack that one and I have quite a lot of recordings of him.

See HIGNFY thread as this is a bit off topic. Laughing out loud

Deayton has seemed to have emerged with at least some dignity. Mostly, it could be said, by shrugging the whole scandal off and getting on with work.

Merton can be very funny, but he does often seem bored. Like Stephen Fry, he has equaled his heroes in affection, but not in quality of work. Due to HIGNFY's topicality, it simply won't have a legacy.