Angus Deayton - Paul Merton feud

Hi all,

I've been watching old episodes of 'HIGNFY' and watching Paul Merton's attacks on Angus Deayton seemed to be quite venomous at times. Why was their relationship so sour? I heard something about it starting when Paul Merton's then wife Caroline Quentin was on the show and Angus made some sort of remark. Surely this can't be the only reason though?

Why not Michael? Seems a good reason to go off a person.

Have you read Paul Merton's recently published autobiography? He writes about it there. The Angus/Caroline Quentin flirtation was clearly engineered to add a strange frisson. As for them not getting on, I think that's correct, but Merton did concede that Deayton was a good host.

There's a 7 page discussion about this very topic on digitalspy from 2007. The most pertinent comment is this;

"Caroline Quentin was largely unknown to the general public in 1993, but once she'd been introduced, sitting alongside Hislop, as "Mrs Merton", a new element of plot developed, as well as a running gag. Deayton casually said that some guests may sleep with a captain to get on the show; this one had gone as far as marrying him. Introduction, applause and then the comeback - "Why did I have to sleep with you as well?" "Oh, it was just in the contract. But thank-you anyway." A nice exchange, real tension between guest and host, and no further mention during the show. But the innuendo of Merton's wife and the HIGNFY host having a liaison was brought up for humour purposes by Merton himself the following week (lots of "I'll give you one" non-gags afterwards) and it went on for quite some time, beyond Quentin's second and final appearance, this time with hubby, a year later."

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=532535

That all seems a bit pathetic really that anyone should overreact.

Oh well. I'm guessing that it's re-emerged because of pre-Christmas sales of Merton's autobiography. Here's a lovely article from the DM:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-176506/Merton-I-liked-Deayton.html

Plus this from The Radio Times:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-10/paul-merton-on-the-birth-of-have-i-got-news-for-you

He was on Wossie pushing it. Huh?

Ooh - thanks - will have a quick gander in iPlayer....

Did you see the episode after the revelations came out. Merton was relentless towards Deayton.

Quote: Michael Wilson @ 4th November 2014, 9:36 PM GMT

Did you see the episode after the revelations came out. Merton was relentless towards Deayton.

Yes indeed - there seemed to be two episodes: one when the first revelations emerged and then the second where Merton wore the infamous NOTW t-shirt. Some of the other guests and guest hosts didn't get a good rap from Merton too, one example is Ann Widdecombe.

I have just watched the Jonathan Ross clip on ITV Player (when did he leave the BBC? Am I missing something here? There was no mention of it in the media if so.) A very spirited appearance in my opinion. I particularly enjoyed Ross asking the ITV audience if they ever watched Just A Minute....cue tumbleweed.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 4th November 2014, 10:02 PM GMT

I have just watched the Jonathan Ross clip on ITV Player (when did he leave the BBC? Am I missing something here? There was no mention of it in the media if so.)

Please let this be a joke.

Quote: Michael Wilson @ 4th November 2014, 9:36 PM GMT

Deayton's partner is (and was at the time) Lise Meyer. She's part of the comedy world, maybe her and Merton were friends from the 80s alternative comedy scene (didn't Merton briefly appear in The Young Ones?) and he wanted to even the humiliation odds a little.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 4th November 2014, 10:42 PM GMT

(didn't Merton briefly appear in The Young Ones?)

Yup. Second peasant.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 4th November 2014, 10:42 PM GMT

Deayton's partner is (and was at the time) Lise Meyer. She's part of the comedy world, maybe her and Merton were friends from the 80s alternative comedy scene (didn't Merton briefly appear in The Young Ones?) and he wanted to even the humiliation odds a little.

Didn't the late Rik Mayall also cheat on Lise Mayer by running off with his pregnant mistress to sunny climes? Nice.

Quote: Aaron @ 4th November 2014, 10:35 PM GMT

Please let this be a joke.

Que? Have I missed something momentous in the comedy world?

I have just finished reading Paul Merton's autobiography and have come to the conclusion - he is a cock.

He does mention the feud but says it was engineered. But like most things in his book, he doesn't go into enough detail - he's a great skimmer past awkward things.(and surely that's why we buy and read autobiographies).

He is also a great one for taking all the credit for successful things and a 'blamer of others' for the unsuccessful ventures.

For instance; he was admitted to the funny farm twice. He describes very well what he was experiencing and it was compelling reading. He even said he wanted to leave the mental ward but knew he would be sectioned if he tried.

He should have left that chapter as it was and the reader with the feeling that it could happen to anyone (it was genuinely frightening and made you think 'there by the grace of God go I').
But he had to blame something! And he blamed the anti-malaria pills he was taking at the time.