Friday Night Dinner - Series 3 Page 4

I would love a Series 4.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 19th July 2014, 2:14 PM BST

Martin buying a piano on a whim didn't really work, but the sarcastic piano tuner was a brilliant one off character. So does that mean it was good or bad? I'm not really sure.

That kind of reminded me of a Curb your Enthusiasm character, the idea that people with disabilities can be assholes too.

Mr. Greencock

The Simon Bird character having not only an attractive girlfriend putting up with his not the best looks and neurotic and sarcastic ways but also her hot sister chasing him!

This was well explained.

What's the betting that in the next episode, something farcical happens with the family and Simons character will pull a face and utter a sarcastic line such as 'great family time hey'.

Quote: Edwin @ 21st July 2014, 4:24 AM BST

Mr. Greencock

Three days on, and I still passionately hate him.

I hate to be the one miserable sod that chirrups up his disapproval, but I tried sticking with this so much. I wanted to like it, I was ready to like it considering it was penned by Popper and stars the great Heap. Granted, the latter is the highlight of the show, however I find Simon Bird and Tom Rosenthal to be insufferable spoilers of the show.

The script seems so weak and passé, each week a recycling of the same blueprint of jokes (Jim finds a reason to turn up; the boys always bickering (tiresome); Dad's doing something weird; Mum's hysterical. The characters just don't seem very fleshed out. That said, Mr. Morris and Winston are chuckle prompts.

It's mainly Rosenthal's gormless, self-satisfied smile that's stopped my interest in it. Just TOO smug and cartoony. But then I did say I was a miserable SOD!

And we're back! Friday (when else?) for another series.