Friday Night Dinner - Series 3 Page 3

I must admit that yesterday's plot was somewhat unbelievable. Also, why are the boys quite so juvenile?

I liked it but I thought the script a tad uneven. Jim felt really crowbarred in and his role, was kinda Jim be wacky. That and I was sad the loss of job storyline kinda got lost.

I loved this week's, probably the most of any this series. Loved the noises she made every time she had to walk past that painting.
Not all sitcoms can mix in a little bit of sincerity (the losing of his job) amongst the sillier scenes, but this one manages it really well.

SPOILER

And the way she let Jim finish pissing on the painting,

Margaret Thatcher

Loved last night's episode. I think this is a great series so far.

I'm enjoying this series so far, I look forward to it on a Friday night. Much prefer Tamsin Greig in this to her in Episodes.

I watched all of the first series, but never really warmed to it, so ignored the second. With nothing else on during the world cup I gave Series 3 a chance, and am glad I did. It's still not likely to join the ranks of my favourite sitcoms, but it has been consistently enjoyable - and funny. Still think that Wilson is the best character though!

I love Wilson too: he's so handsome :D

Quote: radiat10n @ 15th July 2014, 1:49 PM BST

I watched all of the first series, but never really warmed to it...

Ditto! The second series was much better and this third one is very enjoyable. Nice to see a show actually improving series by series.

Mr. Greencock stole the show! Same actor as the blind priest on Father Ted, Liam O'Carroll.

Just watched the first episode of Series 3.

Possibly one of the worst episodes of comedy I've ever seen. Genuinely don't know how this is considered good. It is full of people acting not like how people would genuinely act? They can't think of genuinely awkward situations, so they make the characters act all awkward and arrrrgh with situations that shouldn't have that reaction.

The sister sends Simon Bird's character a text of herself naked, and he acts like he's instigated it, and he's done this terrible thing and for some reason he can't possibly explain this to his girlfriend, or turn his phone off or delete the photos, or put the phone somewhere else. No, he has to carry it around with him and every photo it's another 'arrrgh awkward reaction!!'. And this is what's supposed to carry the episode? This plot.

It was just all so predictable and unrealistic and annoying. Never has a sitcom annoyed me so much. Tom Rosenthal's character would be good if he was constantly being killed each episode ala Kenny in South Park. Again, what the f**k was his character's reaction at the end of that first episode? He pranks his brother by putting up loads of nude pictures, then feels bad about it, but doesn't tell the girlfriend who sees them 'oh it was a joke I did, for when he showed you his room, they're not really his.' Instead he just lets his brother get effectively dumped by his girlfriend. Who does that? Especially with no reason to be such a cock. I get it, that they like to pull pranks on each other, but Simon Bird's character had done nothing to him this episode. He just comes across as a c**t.

Oh and Mark Heap, the neighbour character. Well he utterd the worst line I've possibly heard in a comedy before:

Neighbour: "There's nothing wrong with an age gap in a relationship. I once went out with a woman who was 35 years older than me." Tom Rosenthal: "Did you?" Neighbour: "Oh no, I'm getting confused with my Mother."

That's not comedy. That's a mentally ill man. No reaction from Tom Rosenthal's character again.

Yeah, I didn't like it much.

I loved last night's episode. Very funny.

Quote: Pineapplesky @ 19th July 2014, 1:29 AM BST

Neighbour: "There's nothing wrong with an age gap in a relationship. I once went out with a woman who was 35 years older than me." Tom Rosenthal: "Did you?" Neighbour: "Oh no, I'm getting confused with my Mother."

I didn't watch the episode, but that strikes me as quite a funny line.

Quote: gappy @ 19th July 2014, 10:22 AM BST

I didn't watch the episode, but that strikes me as quite a funny line.

I agree with that.

I keep changing my mind about it. Sometimes I find it very funny (last night's was very good), sometimes I find it too over the top and irritating. I don't think the boys are likeable enough. Tamsin Greig holds the show together and Paul Ritter is very funny indeed. Mark Heap is great and I love the running gag of being terrified by his own dog, but it just seems a little too far fetched that Jim interrupts dinner every single week and the Goodmans haven't at any point called social services (Jim clearly has some problems) or just told him to f**k off.

Martin buying a piano on a whim didn't really work, but the sarcastic piano tuner was a brilliant one off character. So does that mean it was good or bad? I'm not really sure.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 19th July 2014, 2:14 PM BST

I agree with that.

I keep changing my mind about it. Sometimes I find it very funny (last night's was very good), sometimes I find it too over the top and irritating. I don't think the boys are likeable enough. Tamsin Greig holds the show together and Paul Ritter is very funny indeed. Mark Heap is great and I love the running gag of being terrified by his own dog, but it just seems a little too far fetched that Jim interrupts dinner every single week and the Goodmans haven't at any point called social services (Jim clearly has some problems) or just told him to f**k off.

Martin buying a piano on a whim didn't really work, but the sarcastic piano tuner was a brilliant one off character. So does that mean it was good or bad? I'm not really sure.

That's pretty spot on how I see the show too. Agree that neither son is particularly likeable and the guest appearances tend to be portrayed as OTT psychopaths. I'm unsure whether it should continue into a fourth series, I'd suggest not, but C4 would probably green light it.