The Big Comedy Conference - from BCG Page 5

Hope you do this again next year when I will have money!

So those who attended: what were the highlights? Best speakers? Best tips?

Quote: sglen @ 1st December 2013, 2:08 PM GMT

Hope you do this again next year when I will have money!

So those who attended: what were the highlights? Best speakers? Best tips?

That would be telling...

;)

Sad to have missed it, but couldn't justify the cost of travel etc.

I look forward to seeing it when a less stellar cast starts on its provincial tour instead :)

Quote: Tim Azure @ 2nd December 2013, 12:53 PM GMT

From writing, sglen?

Unfortunately not, although wouldn't that be wonderful? No, I've just got a more highly paid job than I'm currently in, so by next year I should have some savings to my name. Part of my role will be writing medical research news so I will happily continue to go around describing myself as a "professional writer" :)

Just wanted to add my thanks to everybody who was involved in putting the day together. Everything was really good, I particularly enjoyed the melon.

Definitely worth it. Well done Mark, Aaron, Dave Cohen and Co. Personal highlight was the session with Andrew Ellard, John Finnemore etc on sitcom. If you've read the books on sitcom writing you will know a lot of the "rules" but hearing them discuss it in the context of their own work was very valuable I think.

EDIT: Deleting double post

Yep, it was excellent. Very well done to those that organised it, really hope this becomes a regular event.

Best tip? David Nobbs' advice to writers: "Don't play golf."

Thanks for all the feedback, and for coming along of course and supporting the event! I'm just about caught up on sleep now!

Quote: David Salisbury @ 2nd December 2013, 10:46 PM GMT

Definitely worth it. Well done Mark, Aaron, Dave Cohen and Co. Personal highlight was the session with Andrew Ellard, John Finnemore etc on sitcom. If you've read the books on sitcom writing you will know a lot of the "rules" but hearing them discuss it in the context of their own work was very valuable I think.

EDIT: Deleting double post

I'm happy to be an etc, and glad you enjoyed the panel.

Lol

etc also mentioned that he has published a book yesterday in conjunction with some British Comedy Guide or other.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/books/getting_it_on/

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ 3rd December 2013, 3:11 PM GMT

etc also mentioned that he has published a book yesterday in conjunction with some British Comedy Guide or other.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/shop/books/getting_it_on/

Dan

Now that looks interesting. Is it available in hard copy (I hate reading books on screen)

Not at present. Feel free to print it out though.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd December 2013, 4:08 PM GMT

Smart arse...

Thanks to all who put Saturday together or appeared there.

Twas a damn enjoyable day.

Quote: Aaron @ 3rd December 2013, 4:08 PM GMT

Just bought this an hour or so ago.

The PDF is only* 90-odd pages, so if you can print 2 pages per sheet of A4 it should still be legible and won't take up much ink/paper.

Maybe not as nice as having a pro-printed and bound copy, but nowhere near as painful as printing out a couple of hundred pages.

* I say 'only' but that's not meant to knock it. A single sentence can be enough and worth the asking price if it contains that one piece of sage advice that you really needed.