Why are people stupid? Page 5

besides that, imagine the burden for taxpayers to support all those who didn't die young or middle-aged from smoking ;)

Quote: WrongTale @ August 28, 2007, 11:34 AM

besides that, imagine the burden for taxpayers to support all those who didn't die young or middle-aged from smoking ;)

Yea, the poor wittle taxpayers....

Poor wittle taxpayers shelling out billions and billions of pounds & dollars for the War Against Drugs & Drug Users...and there are more people than ever before using drugs.

Poor wittle taxpayers throwing out billions & billions of pounds & dollars towards killing brown people and stealing their oil...

Yea, poor wittle taxpayers...

Quote: Skibbington von Skubber @ August 28, 2007, 11:53 AM

Yea, the poor wittle taxpayers....

Poor wittle taxpayers shelling out billions and billions of pounds & dollars for the War Against Drugs & Drug Users...and there are more people than ever before using drugs.

Poor wittle taxpayers throwing out billions & billions of pounds & dollars towards killing brown people and stealing their oil...

Yea, poor wittle taxpayers...

I agree with that Skib, illegal drugs should be medically licensed and taxed (to cover medical costs) and the War in Iraq well its all been said hasn't it. I have nothing agiainst smoking as long as people don't do it near me.

Having a go a people for getting sick through lifestyle choices is really out of order in my opinion, its a step away from cleansing the population of everyone who is an organic eating fitnness fanactic with blond hair and blue eyes. Vices and sins are what make people human in my opinion so long live ill health :)

I'm glad my mates have to go outside to smoke! It's horrible breathing in other peoples smoke regardless of how many cigarettes it's equivalent to.

Those who continue to smoke in public will always have some smart-arsed opinions as to why it's OK, as you can see from some of the posts in this thread.

The sooner they ban smoking in the street, the better. Smoking should be in the privacy of one's own home only. Let smokers smoke themselves to death in their own front rooms, no problem with that, as they are taxed for their pleasure, but don't inflict it on the rest of us!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 28, 2007, 4:01 PM

Those who continue to smoke in public will always have some very intelligent opinions as to why it's OK, as you can see from some of their very eloquent posts in this thread.

The sooner they encourage smoking in the street, the better. Smoking should be everywhere and not just in the privacy of one's own home. Let smokers smoke their smoke wherever they please, I have no problem with that, as they are unfairly taxed for their pleasure. God save the smokers! (And the druggies as well!)Wave

Yes, I like it. You've finally written something I agree with! Well done, Frankie.

He! he! Nicely done!

As I say, there's always a smart arse response from those smokers!

Thank God for cancer!

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 28, 2007, 4:01 PM

The sooner they ban smoking in the street, the better. Smoking should be in the privacy of one's own home only. Let smokers smoke themselves to death in their own front rooms, no problem with that, as they are taxed for their pleasure, but don't inflict it on the rest of us!

I like the cut of your jib. :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 28, 2007, 7:34 PM

Thank God for cancer!

That is a pretty juvenile statement. It can happen to anyone, smoker, non-smoker (although I suppose some of them would blame it on some 'passive smoking' nonsense as it's the 'in' thing to do these days), someone genetically destined to get lumbered with it regardless, could be you, could be me, but nobody deserves the kind of accolade you prescribe. Grow up man! One day you will be treated like a pariah for something you personally get some kind of kick out of despite wishing you'd never done it in the first place, but are nevertheless taxed to the hilt all the time you continue for your own pleasure of it. In the UK every pack of 20 cigarettes sold dumps around 4 Quid back into the Exchequer ... where's it going ... don't try to kid me that it's all going into health care 'cos hardly any of it is. Feed me back the sums, as a real smart arse should be able to do, and maybe I'll at least listen to you, otherwise, well ...

Quote: losaavedra @ August 28, 2007, 8:25 PM

That is a pretty juvenile statement. It can happen to anyone, smoker, non-smoker (although I suppose some of them would blame it on some 'passive smoking' nonsense as it's the 'in' thing to do these days), someone genetically destined to get lumbered with it regardless, could be you, could be me, but nobody deserves the kind of accolade you prescribe. Grow up man! One day you will be treated like a pariah for something you personally get some kind of kick out of despite wishing you'd never done it in the first place, but are nevertheless taxed to the hilt all the time you continue for your own pleasure of it. In the UK every pack of 20 cigarettes sold dumps around 4 Quid back into the Exchequer ... where's it going ... don't try to kid me that it's all going into health care 'cos hardly any of it is. Feed me back the sums, as a real smart arse should be able to do, and maybe I'll at least listen to you, otherwise, well ...

It's a juvenile statement in response to a whole series of juvenile statements from you smokers. Passive smoking is bad for people. If you smoke in public (the street, anywhere outside your own home) you are responsible for damaging other peoples lungs. Get out of my face with your stinking smoke!

Quote: losaavedra @ August 28, 2007, 8:25 PM

In the UK every pack of 20 cigarettes sold dumps around 4 Quid back into the Exchequer ... where's it going ... don't try to kid me that it's all going into health care 'cos hardly any of it is.

Only 20?! Jesus. Raise the tax then, I say. Anyway. Where the taxes really are going is a largely political matter in response to whatever the public are demanding at any one time. Or at least that's the case under the fickle, feckless, and ultimately spinelessly crowd-pleasing Labour administrations over the past decade. :)

As a citizen of the UK your health is under attack from a number of things, only one of which is smoking, passive or otherwise.

As 1 in 3 of us will die from heart disease you should also be concerned with what you eat, which unless you live on a farm was chosen for you by people who only want you to give them your money. As I have mentioned before mobile phone radiation, whether you have a handset or not is passing through your body right now, rupturing bloodcells. If you talk a lot on a mobile, we know that you will be 1 in 4 times more likely to acquire a tumour in your ear. The radar transmitters in aircraft are especially powerful and are also passing through you, as the signal is bounced off the ground. The long term effects of exposure to this radiation is not known, but the chances are none of the non-smokers on this forum (almost everyone, it seems!) would feel guilty about using a phone next to a passenger on a bus, while they would not smoke a cigarette.

A recent study has shown that particulates from laser toner have much the same effect as smoking particulates on the lining of the lungs. Latest research suggests that throat cancer, often linked to cigar-smoking, is actually viral, much like tooth decay, and is passed on by - wait for it - oral sex.

The reason that not all smokers get lung cancer or other smoking-associated illnesses is thought to be genetic. Some people are more genetically disposed to getting cancer than others.

What does all this mean? Not that it's safe to smoke, but that the picture is complex. Smoking is unfashionable, and importantly is not an activity practiced in great numbers by the controlling social group of our society. Whilst it is annoying to non-smokers, it is not as destructive to society, or as expensive, as drinking, which is the biggest risk to people’s long term health by far, since it is an activity much more widespread than smoking.

I don’t like breathing in other people’s smoke and I don’t think anyone should have to experience it, but legislation to control people’s exposure to it should be based on the fact that it is unpleasant, not that the smoker is your assassin.

I wanted to end on a song - I mean statistic, but I couldn’t find it, so I’m having to go by memory here: Your chances of contracting lung cancer if you don’t smoke, but live with a smoker for 20 years are 77 thousand to one.

The odds on being murdered by a stranger if you are an adult in the uk, average out at 11 thousand to one.

Bye now Wave

Don't have nightmares!

Yes, and as all the sensible people are saying, the important thing is that if you smoke, do it at home on your own (or with other smokers) as it's unpleasant and at least a little unhealthy for us non-smokers.

Remember smokers, it's YOU that's the problem, not the non-smokers!

:)

But if you believe the passive smoke argument, YOU are a smoker as well, albeit one who won't buy his own cigarettes! :)