2525 Page 16

It's on R4 Extra now!

Listened to my sketch-and the others.Few lines added and a few taken away.Notice the commissioned writers seem to be writing fairly long sketches which is okay but seems to contradict the guidelines that shorter sketches are better so it's maybe an idea to pad out any submission with as much detail as possible.Was advised by a relative who worked in rights at the BBC for years-accept a buy-out for a low sum of money at the start but the next time(if there is a next time) add an amendment at the bit where they're getting exclusive rights in perpetuity-"except audio-visual(TV) and DVD rights".Write that in and sign and date it on the contract and wait for a response.She was under-whelmed by the standard of the contract and felt they'd drafted it themselves instead of getting it done by a good lawyer.It's all good experience though.Living and learning and all that.
Liked the reporter being Scottish-good accent the actress had.

A bit disappointed to be honest. I thought the intro voice was a wasted opportunity both in the type of voice and the lack of actual jokes in the intro. I suppose I might have been expecting a Tom Baker style intro.

I thought some of the sketches were a little too long/indulgent and the pace of the programme might have benefited from throwing a few shorter ones in.

Thought Jaicee got about the biggest laugh with the mention of the Gherkin, well done there.

Hope it picks up a bit on the next show.

Quote: Jaicee @ 21st December 2013, 11:39 AM GMT

Sorry , in advance, if this offends any fantasists.Hopefully some of the realists will get something from it.

I'm not sure anyone ever thought they'd make a living from open calls to radio sketch shows...but well done on getting something in, it sounds like a good idea for a sketch.

It struck me too that Jaicee's sketch got the most laughs. And it was probably the shortest.

I found most of the sketches overlong and very disappointing. The first sketch in particular would have benefited from having the opening completely cut out - it hardly raised a titter - whereas the second part was very funny.

And elsewhere, references to contemporary figures such as Katie Price and Mo whatshisname, flew in the face of reason - who will remember them in 500 years time? I'm having trouble now!

I just listened to the first ep too. The mods sketch had some funny lines if you accept the premise. The gangsta rappers was good but overlong. You'd think with the deluge of (very cheap) material they'd be streamlining them a bit better...

Kudos jaicee the gherkin one was easily the best, the rest were a serious meh fest

Quote: JaPi @ 24th December 2013, 12:50 AM GMT

You'd think with the deluge of (very cheap) material .../

Although written to describe Newsjack submissions, this chart might illustrate the problems with some:

We might disagree about a bunch of stuff, Jaicee, but I must say that your sketch was comfortably the best thing in that show. Wave

Most of it didn't work for me - some good concepts and gags, but all somewhat flabby. I also find it a little disappointing that a show set 500 years in the future falls back on so many contemporary references that are already exhausted (Katie Price? Jeffrey Archer??). I also thought the narrator was pointless, they could at least have written him some jokes; in most cases it would have been more fun to work out what was happening from the sketch opening, that's one of the best things about audio comedy.

So, if anyone else here got stuff in, well done, but I'm afraid this show isn't for me.

Seriously underwhelmed. Won't be bothering with the rest of the series.

Where can I listen to it?

iplayer.

Episode two up now. It's pretty awful. Had to will myself through the phone dating sketch. :|

Quote: JaPi @ 30th December 2013, 1:06 PM GMT

Episode two up now. It's pretty awful. Had to will myself through the phone dating sketch. :|

I have to agree, it was pretty dire. Only two sketches raised themselves above the primordial slime - one about a banterbot and another about a talking holiday destination. The rest was tripe, with too many silly voices.