2525 Page 11

Quote: Badge @ September 25 2013, 12:07 PM BST

Does anyone actually think they'll use any of the open-door stuff?

If they've been sent sketches that are better than ones from their commissioned writers, i.e. great ideas and ready to go/don't need much editing then it would be bizarre for them not to use them, so I'm sure they'll use some. But I'd be surprised if they're willing to completely rewrite sketches on the basis of a good premise in the way the BBC very kindly do - so I suspect anyone who didn't spent a good amount of time rewriting themselves will struggle (which is fair enough).

For a Little Britain vibe I think they'll want recurring characters.

I guess they might pass a single sketch over to the writing team.

(I sent them a corker about Teleportation Lawyers.)

Quote: JohnnyD @ September 25 2013, 12:35 PM BST

(I sent them a corker about Teleportation Lawyers.)

Dammit - makes my Mutation Lawyers one less unique :)

Quote: Badge @ September 25 2013, 12:07 PM BST

Does anyone actually think they'll use any of the open-door stuff?

Interesting actually using open door stuff I think is a load more work than writing it your self.

You have to read it, edit it, as opposed to just writing it.

Hence why it's only really the Beeb that's big enough to.

But more it's like trying to impress them into noticing you.

Like when Big Ears fights General Woundworth at the end of Watership Down,.

Quote: sootyj @ September 26 2013, 12:49 PM BST

Interesting actually using open door stuff I think is a load more work than writing it your self.

You have to read it, edit it, as opposed to just writing it.

Hence why it's only really the Beeb that's big enough to.

I think that's mostly true, but sketch shows need different voices. Everyone gets stuck in concept or two, why not see if there are some writers out there with 1 or 2 good sketches; helps fill up the show with something different sounding.

I'm guessing they'll read them once, if they laugh then on the maybe pile, if not bin. Whittle that pile down to 'unique idea' (i.e. not robots ;) ) then record and see if the audience laugh. Then see if there's space in the edit. Not much different to having to deal with the commissioned work.

I'm guessing we won't hear unless we're needed to edit a sketch, or they want to pay us for it. They're making a show not encouraging writers! (If they are smart they'll message when it records/broadcasts for instant audience but...)

Has anyone heard anything or been asked for rewrites?

It says on their website that we won't hear anything until the show has been recorded and edited, so I doubt they are going to ask for rewrites.

Thank you Shandonbelle

Quote: Bonzo @ October 12 2013, 12:27 PM BST

Has anyone heard anything or been asked for rewrites?

Also this isn't BBC per se, so unlike say Newsjack there's no commitment to use a certain amount of submitted material.

So possibly nothing.

But scifi skits have more life than topical ones, why not grow them into short film scripts and send them out into the world.

Thanks Sooty!

Quote: Shandonbelle @ October 12 2013, 1:24 PM BST

It says on their website that we won't hear anything until the show has been recorded and edited, so I doubt they are going to ask for rewrites.

Although they did ask us to say if, and how, we thought a sketch could be made into a recurring character, so presumably they'd have been touch with people if they were thinking of that. Unless they plan to write the later sketches themselves - if they want to co-credit me for 6 sketches but write 5 of them then I'm perfectly ok with that...

Sent them an email asking if they had a broadcast date but got no reply. Anyone heard anything or know anything?

Just had a reply from John Stanley Productions to my recent polite enquiry -

Hi Perry

The series hasn't yet been recorded so it is too early to say which of the publicly submitted sketches we'll be using.

The series is due for broadcast at the end of 2013 / start of 2014.

Good luck!

Ben Walker

Quote: Tim Azure @ 14th November 2013, 10:55 AM GMT

Erm, but don't you have to chose which sketches you are to perform, if not broadcast?

They only have to pay you if it's broadcast, though don't they, so I guess they're not really going to let anyone know unless they're in the final cut.

Cheers for the info playfull.