BCG Fantasy Premier League 2013/14 Page 34

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 24 2013, 11:42 AM BST

I didn't know you could see other peoples transfers before the next round of games started

I think this is the first time I've ever been above Gerry in the league, no wonder he played his wildcard.

I think this is the only time all season I'll be above Don - though I am talking about H2H here. ;)

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 24 2013, 11:42 AM BST

I didn't know you could see other peoples transfers before the next round of games started

You can't. You can only see the *number* of transfers they've made for the next round. Godot is guessing about Rooney. Though I suspect he's right.

Quote: George Kaplan @ September 24 2013, 11:58 AM BST

I think this is the only time all season I'll be above Don - though I am talking about H2H here. ;)

Haha - I rarely check the H2H. It's the equivalent of the Simod Cup. Remember that one?

Quote: don rushmore @ September 24 2013, 1:01 PM BST

You can't. You can only see the *number* of transfers they've made for the next round. Godot is guessing about Rooney. Though I suspect he's right.

Haha - I rarely check the H2H. It's the equivalent of the Simod Cup. Remember that one?

Forgot about the Simod Cup. But the 1989 final was a cracker. Could do with more Premier League games this season of this quality and pace.

Highlights only (4.23):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jX_ZLnY6L4

Don't stop watching after the goals! Cloughie in classic form!

Might cheer Jennie up too if she checks this thread. :)

btw Don, I thought Gayle looked promising again when he came on as sub at the weekend.

Jury still out on Gayle. His transfer fee wasn't disclosed but rumour puts it between 6 and 8 mil. For that price he needs to score 10 goals really.

I don't follow Spurs much, who's the pick of your midfielders?

Quote: don rushmore @ September 24 2013, 2:59 PM BST

Jury still out on Gayle. His transfer fee wasn't disclosed but rumour puts it between 6 and 8 mil. For that price he needs to score 10 goals really.

I don't follow Spurs much, who's the pick of your midfielders?

Ollie needs to make Gayle a regular starter to reach that target. He looked sharp when he came on against Swansea.

At Spurs, Eriksen is the one everyone's raving about, and I like the look of him too. Was compared to Bergkamp by one of the Sky guys watching the game live at the weekend.

I took my first 4 point hit to bring him in asap last week - I already had my full quota of Spurs boys, and Rose was over £3M short for a direct swap.

Sigurdsson is looking sharp too, and from a FF perspective might a good bet, as long as AVB keeps playing him. He preferred Chadli for a while which annoyed me, as Sigurdsson had finally settled at the end of last season and was in good form, and I thought it would knock him back to drop him. His two goals against Norwich have hopefully bought him some time, though you have to factor in European games and bloody rotation.

On rotation, I have learnt a lot about the limitations of managers. Take strikers. You look at, say, Man City and the first thought is that it's alright for them. They have the money. But Arsenal have problems. That is well known. Then it gets much more interesting. I would expect a Stoke to have more strength all round than a Hull but it's about 2 strikers to 6. Stoke only have Crouch and Jones. One is 32. The other is not particularly wanted. Furthermore, there appear to be tensions at Stoke but not at Hull with more choices. Similarly, Cardiff have quite a lot of options. West Ham don't. Some of it has to be past poor management.

On Spurs, I think they are one of the most difficult teams to gauge. To my mind, they have fewer celebrities than any of the other top 7 or 8 and yet there is clearly a solidity and they are rated. I like the Eriksens and the Sigurdssons but there is a lot of rotation and it is difficult to know if that will ultimately settle. In the real world, I tend to prefer managers who don't place huge emphasis on fighting for places. I really can't understand why there is both a Dzeko and a Negredo at Man City or why Demba Ba is at Chelsea other than to prevent others from having them. That to me is unfair on the players and, worse, we the spectators.

F**king hell. I thought I knew something about football, but once again it seems I'm clueless.

Dan

The one thing I've learnt about the game is your players have to play. It's no good moaning about rotation when you've picked people from a team whose manager rotates a lot.

Quote: Badge @ September 24 2013, 4:16 PM BST

The one thing I've learnt about the game is your players have to play. It's no good moaning about rotation when you've picked people from a team whose manager rotates a lot.

That's why Giroud was such a good choice.

I remember saying as much on Day One. :D

Thanks, George. I don't know Eriksen and he's a little too expensive to take a punt on. Paulinho at 7 mil has more appeal. Does he look 'any good'?

I've got money set aside for Suarez. Along as he hasn't eaten someone or 'done a racism' by Monday morning, then he might be heading into my squad.

Quote: don rushmore @ September 24 2013, 4:27 PM BST

Thanks, George. I don't know Eriksen and he's a little too expensive to take a punt on. Paulinho at 7 mil has more appeal. Does he look 'any good'?

Eriksen is looking good (I don't know him either). He might be a cheap Ozil in terms of assists as Spurs look like a team that grind out results this year.

Dan

Quote: don rushmore @ September 24 2013, 4:27 PM BST

Well, he's very highly rated and was a star at the Confederations Cup, but it depends how often he'll get forward and into scoring positions. Generally in a more holding role. But he had two good attempts, including his wonderful back-heel goal on Sunday.

Personally I would go with Sigurdsson at the same price, £7M. More opportunities for assists/goals from dead balls/crosses, good long range shooting, and more "composure" in front of goal than when he first joined. He's more like the player he was at Swansea where he grabbed lots of goals.

Quote: swerytd @ September 24 2013, 4:48 PM BST

Eriksen is looking good (I don't know him either). He might be a cheap Ozil in terms of assists as Spurs look like a team that grind out results this year.

Dan

I tried to kid myself that when I bought Erikson, but deep down I know there's only one Mesut Ozil. :(

I asked about the Spurs midfield cos I needed a replacement for Walcott. But the situation has resolved itself. My cheapo midfield sub, Morrison (4.4), scored for West Ham at the weekend and he's also scored in the cup tonight. So will use him and save a transfer.

Funny old game, etc.

Quote: don rushmore @ September 24 2013, 8:18 PM BST

I asked about the Spurs midfield cos I needed a replacement for Walcott. But the situation has resolved itself. My cheapo midfield sub, Morrison (4.4), scored for West Ham at the weekend and he's also scored in the cup tonight. So will use him and save a transfer.

Funny old game, etc.

Morrison is highly thought of.

What about Benteke? Will you replace him if he's not fit by the weekend, or just wait for him to recover?