The IT Crowd 2.0 Page 21

I thought that season 2 was better than season 1 but the last episode went downhill. I think the series went to kind of a bell curve actually, but the middle had me laughing aloud, so I think it's a good thing.

I have horrible taste, so bad comedies suit me just fine.

Quote: ajp29 @ September 29, 2007, 8:20 PM

Well don't put 'to be continued' if its not a bloody cliff hanger!!!!! Don't make me use my angry face again, screw it i'm going to use it Teary

Ooh - that was frightening!

Quote: earman2009 @ September 30, 2007, 10:44 PM

I can't believe how many people didn't like the last episode! It was possible the best episode of the whole series! The flies gag was brilliant. Also, I love Richmond. He's a great source for jokes. I really hope there is a series three, which there probably will be. If Father Ted and Black Books is anything to go by, it will be be the best (and last) series.

Black Books 3 was not good. Linehan only worked on series 1. The best episodes of two came courtesy of Arthur Mathews.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 1, 2007, 10:12 PM

Black Books 3 was not good. Linehan only worked on series 1. The best episodes of two came courtesy of Arthur Mathews.

That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but I thought series 3 of black books was brilliant. The Simon Pegg episode, the gambling episode, the episode where they try to write a children’s book - brilliant. Wasn't Moo Ma and Moo Pa series 3 as well? That was brilliant too. I know that Lineham only worked on series 1, but despite that, series 3 was the best in my opinion. Wave

This show has completely self-destructed.

Bloody hell, did I imagine it or did the last episode really end with Matt Berry trying to bum Moss and Roy with Jen behind the door saying 'you lot deserve each other'?

Looking at the loving care with which the first three episodes of the first series were constructed, it's hard not to wonder why Linehan threw everything out of the window. Either he wrote the series quickly, or he'd lost interest in it or he'd run out of ideas, but all in all it's been a bit shocking.

Now I'm not saying I didn't laugh, or didn't enjoy it, and parts of it were genius, but there was a lot of weak and directionless writing/plotting. Did anyone else get the Boosh vibe that was in the background - like Linehan was a bit overawed by them? I thought the beginning of the last episode was straight out of the Boosh - except not as funny. And what's happened to the characterisation - it's all over the shop. Characters' personalities just change to suit the plot. And where's the IT framework gone? In the last series we had Moss laughing at a circuit board and Roy getting trapped under a desk. This series could have been set in the finance department.

I think Chris Morris looked at the scripts and phoned for a taxi. Or maybe him leaving was the catalyst for Linehan loosing interest? Lot's of laughs but at the cost of the integrity of the show.

All that talent, but without a well-written script and a sure director, you're f**ked.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ October 2, 2007, 3:55 AM

I thought the beginning of the last episode was straight out of the Boosh - except not as funny.

Come to think of it, you could substitute Bob Fossil (or other Rich Fulcher character) for Matt Berry and it would work. Actually... I liked The Mighty Boosh but it wasn't that funny.

Quote: Camo @ October 2, 2007, 4:23 AM

I liked The Mighty Boosh but it wasn't that funny.

Yeah, ditto.

Well, what did you like about it then?

This show has completely self-destructed.

Bloody hell, did I imagine it or did the last episode really end with Matt Berry trying to bum Moss and Roy with Jen behind the door saying 'you lot deserve each other'?

Looking at the loving care with which the first three episodes of the first series were constructed, it's hard not to wonder why Linehan threw everything out of the window. Either he wrote the series quickly, or he'd lost interest in it or he'd run out of ideas, but all in all it's been a bit shocking.

All that talent, but without a well-written script and a sure director, you're f**ked.

i totally agree. episodes 1 and 2 were great. from 3 it just went downhill.
the last one beggared belief in my opinion.
i couldn't believe the rohypnol / bumming ending. just terrible.
you're also right on the inconsistent characters and lack of any IT references - other than the usual "turn it off and on again" joke.
even in "silly" sitcoms the characters have to have some credibility. i'd believe that roy would pretend to be disabled. but i wouldn't believe that they would both walk through the office and visit the CEO in their boxers.
very poor.

Quote: zooo @ October 2, 2007, 1:10 PM

Well, what did you like about it then?

I liked the characters, the world and imagination. I like Julian Barratt and Noel Fielding and the rest of the cast. It was funny and the little bits of banter between Howard and Vince were really funny.

It's just not a show I consider hilarious, compared to others I do.

Ah, okay then. That's allowed. ;)

I wish they'd do stand up together, just doing the banter-y chatting bits. They did that on the live tour for twenty miutes before the show started. It was fantastic.

It wasn't perfect but I thought it was still funnier in parts than anything else on at the moment. Its true its lost its IT framework and its like watching a three-person flatshare but there were some great belly-laughs throughout. They compensated it for me. I prefer big laughs than little chuckles all the way through like Not Going Out. I think as a lot of us are writers or watch loads of comedy we don't reflect the typical audience that would forgive the points you make.

The ending to the disabled episode made me cry and that is very rare. Also the Dragons Den ending was fantastic. There is going to be a third series by the way.

Quote: Leevil @ October 2, 2007, 1:04 PM

Yeah, ditto.

See my 'electro' thread.

Their stuff holds up like you wouldn't believe.

Quote: earman2009 @ October 1, 2007, 10:46 PM

That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but I thought series 3 of black books was brilliant. The Simon Pegg episode, the gambling episode, the episode where they try to write a children’s book - brilliant. Wasn't Moo Ma and Moo Pa series 3 as well? That was brilliant too. I know that Lineham only worked on series 1, but despite that, series 3 was the best in my opinion. Wave

Yeah, maybe I was harsh. The episodes you mention WERE good, but I distinctly remember it having a lot of pedestrian stuff in it. The worst of the 3 series though. (One was magic of course, two quite good)

I think Chris Morris looked at the scripts and phoned for a taxi. Or maybe him leaving was the catalyst for Linehan loosing interest? Lot's of laughs but at the cost of the integrity of the show.

He stepped in as a favour to Linehan in series 1 after the original choice (never revealed who that was) pulled out. Morris was never intended to be in the show after series 1.

Linehan's direction should never be questioned. The way he sets up the cut to's and reveals are genius. I'd have him direct anything I wrote without a second thought.

Quote: johnny roulette @ October 2, 2007, 1:21 PM

but i wouldn't believe that they would both walk through the office and visit the CEO in their boxers.
very poor.

Repeat after me: It's a sitcom, it's a sitcom, it's a sitcom . . .

If it makes me laugh, I forgive any stretches of credibility.

You only spot stuff like that when you don't like the show. Ted was full of mad stuff, but as the show was a masterpiece, people ignored it.

Quote: Seefacts @ October 2, 2007, 8:16 PM

Repeat after me: It's a sitcom, it's a sitcom, it's a sitcom . . .

If it makes me laugh, I forgive any stretches of credibility.

You only spot stuff like that when you don't like the show. Ted was full of mad stuff, but as the show was a masterpiece, people ignored it.

Exactly!