Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies Page 3

I've read a couple of bad US reviews, which is confusing considering how lightly the diabolical Derek has got off.

Quote: MCharsley @ October 4 2013, 9:35 AM BST

I've read a couple of bad US reviews, which is confusing considering how lightly the diabolical Derek has got off.

Hello Ladies is on HBO so the bar is set pretty high. Derek is on Netflix so the bar is set pretty low.

First epsiode was good, but not great. I'll give it a few more goes since I'm a fan of most of Merchant's stuff.

The show's almost irrelevant (the clips look okay, but hardly spectacular). It's more fun seeing ex Gervais & Merchant fans growing to hate Gervais whilst declaring that Merchant was the talented one all along.

When does this officially start here in the UK?

Quote: G180e @ October 6 2013, 7:02 PM BST

When does this officially start here in the UK?

Sky Atlantic on October 16th, although apparently it'll be available via their On Demand service from the 10th.

I thought it wasn't bad as pilots go, there was some decent laughs and there wasn't massive amounts of exposition or anything. Merchant's character's pretty similar to the agent he played in Extras but I don't think that's necessarily a problem.

Episode 2 was quiiiiite underwhelming.

The set up in episode two was pretty much the same as Episode one but with a few less laughs. I still enjoyed it but it's missing direction. I don't particularly care for the lead actress either. Her only use seems to be getting female characters in for Merchant to leer over.

Yeah, episode 2 wasn't as good. Fewer (any?) laughs.

Quote: chipolata @ October 5 2013, 10:53 PM BST

The show's almost irrelevant (the clips look okay, but hardly spectacular). It's more fun seeing ex Gervais & Merchant fans growing to hate Gervais whilst declaring that Merchant was the talented one all along.

IF ONLY HE'D GIVE US THE AMMUNITION NEEDED TO DO SO!

He was amazing in Portal 2... but it's not enough.

I think plenty of discerning comedy fans still have a lot of time for Merchant. If Hello Ladies disappears after one season of mediocrity he'll still have some integrity but Gervais? Derek Derek Derek Derek Derek Sick

Only watched the first one of these so far, but I really enjoyed it. It is heavy on the cringe here or there (I alternated between laughing and having to look away during the last bar scene!), but it's funny, and Merchant is as good as you'd expect.

latest episode still pretty poor. Best moments were taken from other shows... massive ofah reference in there. Also scene in extras with maggie and stuck up actress pal.

Merchant also seems to take his dramatic acting from Gervais, which isn't too convincing either!

Also... Yes Steven we understand you're pretty tall and don't like spending money, but they're hard gags to stretch out for 10 years.

Seems like it will be getting a UK DVD release. Yay!

See Amazon product listing

Really enjoyed the third episode. There's an element of watching through your fingers, but I thought Stuart's mini breakdown with this week's girl lent him a bit more sweetness. The B plot with Wade was totally pointless and provided no laughs though.