Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies Page 5

A very enjoyable series. Mostly gentle, warm comedy - but there's nothing wrong with that. Stephen Merchant has really struck out on his own with this one and actually shows quite a bit of range as an actor. Hope for more of this.

A wonderfully crafted series which I have immensely enjoyed. Would not say "no" to more!

the series was horrible and boring.

Quote: Marc P @ 3rd December 2013, 10:49 PM GMT

A couple of scenes in two eps ? Are you sure comedy is your bag Ash or is this just bad? ;)

Maybe a bit of both haha, but I was enjoying it - need to finish watching the rest of it. Couple of chapters in on The Comic Toolbox as per your recommendation now, so hopefully comedy will be a bit more my bag afterwards!

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 8th December 2013, 7:50 PM GMT

the series was horrible and boring.

How can a sitcom be both 'horrible' and 'boring' at the same time? Errr

Been cancelled, apparently.

Yet 'Herman's Head' ran for at least 2 seasons. And that shit with Cybil Shepherd got 2 as well. As did that c**ting unfunny bollocks with Drew Carey/Chris Farley/Tim Allen/some fat white trash piece of joke-crushing shit...

F**king Yanks, they know nothing.

Maybe the BBC might plow some money in & keep this show alive. Maybe cancel 'Episodes' if things are that tight?

:(

Quote: T.W. @ 23rd February 2014, 7:50 PM GMT

Been cancelled, apparently.

What a shame. I thought this was an excellent series.

At least Herman's Head had a memorable premise... Hello Ladies was just boring. Not at all helped by the fact it was paired with Eastbound & Down on HBO. Ladies even had a low rent Stevie as Merchant's sidekick... making comparisons easier and Ladies suffered for it.

After seeing the first couple of episodes I knew it was a matter of time for it to get cancelled. I definitely won't miss it.

It wasn't bad, it wasn't good. It just was, and didn't show any noticeable signs of improving as the season wore on. Given that HBO normally persevere with shows for a while I'm still a little surprised it was canceled though.

Quote: Vince Ives @ 27th February 2014, 9:32 PM GMT

It wasn't bad, it wasn't good. It just was, and didn't show any noticeable signs of improving as the season wore on. Given that HBO normally persevere with shows for a while I'm still a little surprised it was canceled though.

HBO will champion a lower rated show if there's some reason too. Getting On had the same kind of ratings as Hello Ladies and is getting a second series because it's quality... the acting, the dry humour, the toilet humour, the pathos... it's all there. HL, not so much.

There's going to be a special to wrap it up which is something for the fans I suppose.

I'm a fan of Merchant but I have doubts over his leading man credentials and his stand up was pretty poor.

The final special is due to air in the US on November 22nd. It is called ''Hello Ladies: The Movie'' so I presume it is an hour or so special episode just to conclude the series. Such a shame this got cancelled as I really liked Season 1.

Does anyone know if it will get aired here in the UK on Sky Atlantic, presumably?

I thought it had aired. I don't have Sky Atlantic. The DVD is on Amazon but the release date keeps getting pushed back.

Just managed to catch "The Movie" on YouTube. I really enjoyed it, not the funniest episode but it certainly did wrap up the series for good. Such a shame it got axed, but it was good while it lasted and hopefully that DVD set for March 2014 won't get cancelled.