Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe - Series 1 Page 9

Quote: Badge @ February 23 2013, 2:42 PM GMT

There's a good game you can now play, which big story from last week's news will be in next week's "Weekly Wipe"?

Fun!

I'm going for Oscar Pistorius.

That'll be a fortnight's old by the next episode!

Another annoying thing is that a lot of observations from his Guardian article also appear in the show.

Not many laughs tonight save for Doug Stanhope's bit, who was pretty funny on internet abuse.

I laughed quite a lot for the first time this run.

The Mantel/Kate Middleton piece was really nicely edited to show the "bad guys" were the news channels and their celeb media mindset.

Doug Stanhope was funny.

Philomena Cunk's comment that Stewart Lee will never be as funny as Harlem Shake made me chuckle.

And I wondered if the comment in the discussion panel section that "I don't like this bit anyway" was in any way inspired by online feedback to that part of the show...? :D

I wonder when they record this, because it is, has has been previously observed, consistently ten days out of date.

I did like the American guy's bit about people saying internet gags were "too soon".

Not a single laugh from me again this week, nor anything new or interesting to say either. The news media is self-serving and hypocritical - something only complete morons aren't already aware of. It's kind of sad that when Brooker says 'Go away' I think 'Gladly.'

Quote: Harridan @ March 1 2013, 1:55 PM GMT

NIt's kind of sad that when Brooker says 'Go away' I think 'Gladly.'

...every week.

I like the little interview segment with himselves.

Quote: David Bussell @ March 1 2013, 1:57 PM GMT

...every week.

I want it to be good. I keep watching because I hope it will be good, because I know that Brooker can produce better stuff.

Quote: Lee @ March 1 2013, 2:00 PM GMT

I like the little interview segment with himselves.

Ditto.

Other bits were disappointing, however. Completely mentally tuned out during Stanhope. Still some good laughs elsewhere, but a very different beast from the original Screenwipe.

I remember watching Newswipe and being sad it wasn't Screenwipe. Now recently rewatching Newswipe which is hilarious and wondering why he didn't just carry on with that?

The Cloud Atlas bit stood out as being actually funny and original.

The Pistorius thing was dismal, I mean satirise the news or report it, don't just half arsedly sneer at it.

The Cunk/Shitpeas thing is now so utterly crap it makes me want to throw my telly out of the window.

Awful awful awful stupid shite.

Hate it.

Maybe Charlie's just weary? He's immersed himself in this stuff for so long it's just worn him down to a nub. It must be hard to get angry or even care after a bit.