Careers on the slide?

Any thoughts on people whose careers have failed to take off or careers that seem to be heading downhill fast? Here's a few suggestions:

1. Jessica Stephenson - The success of Spaced is as much down to her as Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright. Yet she seems to have done nothing of note since it finished, save for the odd cameo. All she seems known for nowadays is voiceover work, and changing her name to Jessica Baked Bean (or something).

2. Marc Wooton - A few years ago he looked like being the next big thing. However, one stinker after another (Cyderdelic, Shirly Grossman, and that Ice Rink thing in Derby) seems to have sunk him.

3. Chris Langham - what has happened to poor Chris lately? He was doing so well in The Thick of It and Help, but it all seems to have gone quiet of late. I read somewhere that he was working with Paul Whitehouse on a crazy sex offender character called Pedro, so fingers crossed that'll make it to our screens soon.

4. The bloke who played Dennis Pennis - never a major talent, but his career seems to have been in freefall ever since.

Jessica Hynes has just done Doctor Who & Magicians, she's just completed Learners with David Tennant. She's in the new film, "Son Of Rambow" from the guys who did Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy. And is writing something with the animator of Gorillaz.

Marc Wooton was in Confetti. He's just completed a new BBC Scifi Comedy film called, "Frequently Asked Question About Time Travel." He's also has a new sketch show on BBC3 coming soon.

As for Chris Langham watch the 1st series of Help. heh

Oh, and Paul Kaye was in Kingdom with Stephen Fry this year and had a show on MTV called "Strutter." He's been in a few movies such as Blackball and It's All Gone Pete Tong. He's still working.

Check imdb. So, there you go. :D

Quote: chipolata @ July 30, 2007, 10:42 AM

1. Jessica Stephenson - ... All she seems known for nowadays is ... changing her name to Jessica Baked Bean (or something).

Laughing out loud

You missed the point! These people might still be working, but there's a definite dip in the quality of work. Other examples include Steve Martin. Sure, he's still making films, he's still earning shed loads of money, but when was the last time he made a corking comedy?

2. Marc Wooton - A few years ago he looked like being the next big thing. However, one stinker after another (Cyderdelic, Shirly Grossman, and that Ice Rink thing in Derby) seems to have sunk him.

I can't stand this bloke. His appearance on Wossy as Shirly grossman was painful.

Good thread chipolata - I agree, those people you mention are all definitely on the slide in my opinion.

Dom Joly is another obvious contender.

And Joe Cornish from Adam and Joe.

When was Dom Joly anywhere high enough to take a slide downwards?

That was a convoluted sentence, but you get where I'm coming from...

Dom Joly is a complete prick. What a smug git. I f**king hate him.

:)

I like to think Adam and Joe are going to be on the up again (seperatley not together) what with Adam being in Hot Fuzz & Stardust and Joe writing "AntMan!" Cool

Chris Langham - what has happened to poor Chris lately?

Hmm, not sure, let me check the newspapers because there just might be a hint of what he's been up to recently. (Looks) Oh my GOD!!!!!! He's up before the beak because he's been allegedly screwing an underage girl and allegedly downloading paedophile images!!!

Chris Langham - what has happened to poor Chris lately?

He's targeting a younger audience

Quote: ajp29 @ July 30, 2007, 4:06 PM

He really is in The Thick of it and does need some Help but not from People Like Us.

Les Miserables if you do Les Miserables if you don't.

Quote: ajp29 @ July 30, 2007, 4:06 PM

ROFL Laughing out loud

Quote: Leevil @ July 30, 2007, 4:20 PM

He really is in The Thick of it and does need some Help but not from People Like Us.

He's a proper Muppet.

Leave him alooone.
You are all very naughty and mean, and should self flagellate whilst saying three hail marys, and feel thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

Although kudos on the puns!