Careers on the slide? Page 4

Quote: zooo @ August 28, 2007, 7:13 PM

Maybe it's a good bit.

He's not doing much for his money then. ;)

And Godot, best to drop it I think. The poor girl is in denial. She can't possibly think bad of the obvious-to-everyone-else washed-up-comedians who haven't done anything decent this side of the millenium. ;)

I will let it lie.

Hugh Dennis after his un-stunning performance last night! Not necessarily a slide towards being less successful, but definitely a slide towards mediocrity!

I'm not sure Hugh Dennis has ever been in the premier league of comic talent. Yes, he's talented, especially on The Now Show, but he's never really been fashionable. Even when he was on The Mary Whitehouse Experience, Baddiel and Newman were always percieved, rightly or wrongly, as the cool ones. And wasn't Hugh in My Hero? So in a sense, Outnumbered saw him climbing back up the greasy pole slightly in terms of credibility.

Fair enough. The last thing I saw him in was certainly at lot funnier than what I saw him in last night. Good to see he's getting back on his feet then! The only way is up...

Quote: Frankie Rage @ August 29, 2007, 8:48 AM

Hugh Dennis after his un-stunning performance last night! Not necessarily a slide towards being less successful, but definitely a slide towards mediocrity!

I thought the exact opposite. Brilliantly played.

Quote: Aaron @ August 29, 2007, 10:54 AM

I thought the exact opposite. Brilliantly played.

I think you have empathy with the character and situation whereas I don't.

Not 'brilliant' surely, 'mildly amusing and competent' perhaps?

Empathy perhaps. Certain aspects of it I suppose I can relate to in a way. But I'm certainly not a parent, and as much as I'd like to be, I'm certainly not living in west London either.

As for brilliant etc, I found the character completely believable, so I'll stand by that.

Quote: chipolata @ August 29, 2007, 10:14 AM

I'm not sure Hugh Dennis has ever been in the premier league of comic talent.credibility.

Unlike his chums in the 'Mary Whitehouse Experience', I think Hugh Dennis has shown a greater depth to his comedic range than, say, David Baddiel. I think this he is being stretched in 'Outnumbered' far more than he was in 'My Hero'. His performance is greatly underplayed and is very comfortable to watch and why on earth is this post on this thread?

Just to round off this thread, I feel guilty about posting it now. ALL careers are doomed to slide out of control at some point. It's very rare that a comedian or comic writer can keep their mojo throughout an entire career, most tend to fizzle away to nothing. And the ones that do keep their spark either retire early (Ronnie Barker) or die prematurely (Leonard Rossister, Eric Morcambe, Tommy Cooper)...

Well said chip.