The general pop/rock - music thread Page 27

New album by Primal Scream:

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ April 27 2013, 5:20 PM BST

Bought this pretty cheap today:

I was looking for a good G&TPM compilation for years.

I liked lots of Mersey bands but never really rated G&TPs.

Bought these two beauties on my local flea market today:

Enjoyed the "Wings over the world" documentary last Saturday, BBC4. Struck by how good the lead guitarist was, Jimmy McCulloch. At first I thought it was Jeff Beck!

Just discovered that he died, aged 26, of a heroin overdose. Tragic loss!

Quote: George Kaplan @ May 14 2013, 2:30 PM BST

Enjoyed the "Wings over the world" documentary last Saturday, BBC4. Struck by how good the lead guitarist was, Jimmy McCulloch. At first I thought it was Jeff Beck!

Just discovered that he died, aged 26, of a heroin overdose. Tragic loss!

Originally from the ORIGINAL Blue!

Quote: Chappers @ May 14 2013, 11:02 PM BST

And Thunderclap Newman, IIRC.
Looking forward to catching up on the Wings doco, 'Wings Over America' was played at least once a week when I was growing up!

Quote: Chappers @ May 14 2013, 11:02 PM BST

I don't know Blue. Were they any good?

I did notice that Jimmy was an original member of Thunderclap Newman, and played on their classic, "Something in the air", and that he would have only been around fifteen/sixteen then.

Quote: radiat10n @ May 14 2013, 11:07 PM BST

And Thunderclap Newman, IIRC.
Looking forward to catching up on the Wings doco, 'Wings Over America' was played at least once a week when I was growing up!

Oops, posted the TN bit before I saw your addition. :)

Picked up a vinyl copy of "Wings over America" not too long ago for £4 - not bad for a triple album. "Band on the Run" is easily my fave album of theirs - still sounds good, fresh. Good documentary a few months ago about the making of that album. I still remember hearing the title track for the first time in a shop, and being wowed by it.

I'm doing a Joy Division/New Order and Factory Records special on my radio show tonight. Tune in from 8pm on www.peterborough.fm.

Full details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/194919097326600/

R.I.P. to Ray Manzarek, keyboard genius of The Doors.

:(

Great band, great musician. Lovely playing on "Riders on the Storm", among many, many highlights.

Quote: George Kaplan @ May 21 2013, 12:44 AM BST

:(

Great band, great musician. Lovely playing on "Riders on the Storm", among many, many highlights.

Such a classic. One of those really atmospheric records that everyone should own.

By the way I picked up a CD today entitled "7 worlds collide". Never knew it existed. Neil Finn and friends including Johnny Marr, Eddy Vedder and Ed O'Brien. Great version of "There's a light that never goes out."

Quote: Chappers @ May 21 2013, 10:02 PM BST

By the way I picked up a CD today entitled "7 worlds collide". Never knew it existed. Neil Finn and friends including Johnny Marr, Eddy Vedder and Ed O'Brien. Great version of "There's a light that never goes out."

That Tim Samuels "Culture Show" Smiths tribute on BBC2 the other day tried to analyze what makes Marr's guitar playing/sound so unique, with Noel Gallagher saying if you need THAT sound, you have to get HIM, no point trying to copy it, it's impossible.

Coincidentally, a week ago I was listening to Noel Gallagher's "The Dreams We Have As Children" cd of his gig at the Albert Hall for Teenage Cancer Trust in 2009, which came as a freebie with the Sunday Times (you can find it in charity shops), and he does a cover of "There's a light" too.

Another far-too-early passing of a rock great - Spiders of Mars/Uriah Heep bassist Trevor Bolder:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22619872

Wow. The Stones in Hyde Park.

All normal tickets are sold out ....

http://www.bst-hydepark.com/ticket-offers/the-rolling-stones-13th

... but still hospitality packages available at ONLY £750.

Quote: Chappers @ May 24 2013, 12:22 AM BST

Wow. The Stones in Hyde Park.

All normal tickets are sold out ....

http://www.bst-hydepark.com/ticket-offers/the-rolling-stones-13th

... but still hospitality packages available at ONLY £750.

And then it pisses down, you miss the last tube, taxis have upped their rate 500%, beers are £10 per 330ml bottle . . . f**k 'em, I'll (illegally) download the video !

And to think, when I first saw them they were a support band !