The general pop/rock - music thread Page 24

Is that a really shit cover, or am I being too judgemental?

Quote: zooo @ March 20 2013, 3:39 PM GMT

Is that a really shit cover, or am I being too judgemental?

I think the last one was really shitty. This is a bit more "back to the roots". Not great but in the typical 80s Depeche Mode style.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 20 2013, 8:29 AM GMT

Soon to be released:

Depeche Mode were a bit of a Marmite like Queen in that they produced some fantastic stuff but loads of shit too.

Quote: Chappers @ March 20 2013, 9:21 PM GMT

Depeche Mode were a bit of a Marmite like Queen in that they produced some fantastic stuff but loads of shit too.

I absolutely hated "Condemnation" from the SOFAD album. Pseudo-gospel shit.

Just saw this on facebook.

A restaurant in Canada advertised for new bands wanting to promote themselves to perform at the restaurant and entertain the diners free..... To which a musician replied "Wanted..Chefs to come to my home and prepare a meal for me and my friends free of charge....and if the food is nice we will tell others".

Good answer!

Very good. Cheeky bastards.

Anyway - back to the subject in hand. Catching up on old Bowie.

We loved vinyl but I'll tell you one drawback. If one side of an album was great you sometimes didn't get to listen to the other side much. Just discovered side 2 of "Heroes". Can't believe I've never really listened to it.

Also a great album I listened to was a compilation by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Not a duff track. How I wish I'd got to see them live.

This picture made me feel sad.

http://www.nme.com/news/john-lennon/69327

Hmmm

Quote: Chappers @ March 21 2013, 9:22 PM GMT

Also a great album I listened to was a compilation by the Sensational Alex Harvey Band. Not a duff track. How I wish I'd got to see them live.

Last week or so there was a programm on BBC4 about "British Rock of the 70s" or something. They showed a lot of bands I didn't pay much attention until now:

-Heavy Metal Kids
-Stone The Crows
and the Sensational Alex Harvey Band among others.
I have about 4000 CD's in my collection but there still are a lot of acts yet to discover.

Quote: Chappers @ March 21 2013, 9:22 PM GMT

We loved vinyl but I'll tell you one drawback. If one side of an album was great you sometimes didn't get to listen to the other side much. Just discovered side 2 of "Heroes". Can't believe I've never really listened to it.

"Blackout" is a surprisingly dynamic and catchy little rocker (although I think it's on side A).

Hey music boffins, one of my favourite 'recent' albums has to be Neveroddoreven by I Monster. Now it didn't reach the heady heights of the charts (to my knowledge) but it's a cracking album.

Anyway, I don't believe they've ever followed it up, or may have even split after. Does anyone know of any other stuff by them, or any other projects the members have worked on that might be worth a listen?

Go boffins!

EDIT: Another look at Amazon has turned up a 2009 album "A Dense Swarm of Ancient Stars" (it wasn't there before, honest), but if anyone knows of any later stuff I'd still like to hear.

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 26 2013, 6:26 PM GMT

Hey music boffins, one of my favourite 'recent' albums has to be Neveroddoreven by I Monster. Now it didn't reach the heady heights of the charts (to my knowledge) but it's a cracking album.

Anyway, I don't believe they've ever followed it up, or may have even split after. Does anyone know of any other stuff by them, or any other projects the members have worked on that might be worth a listen?

Go boffins!

EDIT: Another look at Amazon has turned up a 2009 album "A Dense Swarm of Ancient Stars" (it wasn't there before, honest), but if anyone knows of any later stuff I'd still like to hear.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/i-monster-mn0000256193

Quote: Nil Putters @ March 26 2013, 6:26 PM GMT

Neveroddoreven

Great cover art!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 26 2013, 7:03 PM GMT

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/i-monster-mn0000256193

Great cover art!

Cheers, not much else there though.

That's actually a kind of a remix album, this is the original artwork.

Both great pieces of artwork though.

The one with the skull looks more "60s psychedelic rock-ish". I like both covers.