The general pop/rock - music thread Page 25

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 22 2013, 8:20 AM GMT

Last week or so there was a programm on BBC4 about "British Rock of the 70s" or something. They showed a lot of bands I didn't pay much attention until now:

-Heavy Metal Kids
-Stone The Crows
and the Sensational Alex Harvey Band among others.

Heavy Metal Kids with Auf Weidersehn's Gary Holton!

I don't know that show. Was he good in it? And was the show good?

A new album by Wire!!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 27 2013, 8:56 AM GMT

I don't know that show. Was he good in it? And was the show good?

Top show, the original two series anyway; about English builders working abroad, written by Clement & La Frenais of Porridge fame. Gary did well enough in his part as a cockney lothario, but died during the location filming for the second series.

Quote: Tursiops @ March 27 2013, 9:42 AM GMT

Top show, the original two series anyway; about English builders working abroad, written by Clement & La Frenais of Porridge fame. Gary did well enough in his part as a cockney lothario, but died during the location filming for the second series.

Sounds like a serious contender for one of my next DVD purchases. Cheers Tursiops.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 27 2013, 10:51 AM GMT

Sounds like a serious contender for one of my next DVD purchases. Cheers Tursiops.

It is one of my all-time fave shows. I can watch it over and over. Great characters and storylines. I sympathised so much with Geordie Kevin Whateley's character when he had to wear a scummy red shirt and pretend he supported them.

Just listening to The Next Day again after Mott the Hoople Live (30th ann edition.)

Quote: Chappers @ March 27 2013, 10:35 PM GMT

Just listening to The Next Day again after Mott the Hoople Live (30th ann edition.)

The 70s...when live albums sounded great and served as "best ofs" at the same time. (I have that album [Mott Live] in the same edition).

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ March 27 2013, 10:51 AM GMT

Ha! I got series 1 only a few days back

The first couple of series were indeed very good

Don't expect laughs a plenty

Good fun though

Rock music producer Phil Ramone has died. :(

So have Alvin Lee and Kevin Ayers. Maybe a month or so ago but only just found out in Mojo.

Quote: Chappers @ April 2 2013, 8:56 PM BST

So have Alvin Lee and Kevin Ayers. Maybe a month or so ago but only just found out in Mojo.

I didn't know that. When Justin Bieber has an ingrown toe nail they shout it out in all newspapers and the pope says a prayer for him. When some of the not so cute and not young anymore guys dies no sod is interested.
I bought a 4 disc Kevin Ayers anthology about six months ago. I am amazed by his works...lots of crazy stuff to discover.

I ordered this baby here. Although I own all of Bowie's albums (except for the very first one) this 3 CD collection has a few stray singles and b-sides which aren't on the original albums. His version of Alabama Song or the magnificent 80s single This Is Not America for instance.

I was listening to this today and it was a hell of a fun. Strongly recommendable for every fan of 60s Brits blues. Some of these BBC recordings are sharper than the original album versions. And this is really no blues to sit through and have melancholic feelings...this is pure fun & party. A special mix of blues and stonesy rock!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z4zhcCSO0s

then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJt8D2g3lv0

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 14 2013, 9:13 PM BST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z4zhcCSO0s

then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJt8D2g3lv0

It's like with Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy". The bridge in that song is the melody of Jimi Hendrix' "Third Stone From The Sun".

Anyway, I like Status Quo's "Burning Bridges". My favourite SQ song has to be "Paper Plane".
What's anyone else's? (There are far too many "best" "favourite" etc threads araound at the moment so I ask this question here)