The general pop/rock - music thread Page 239

Watching Elkie Brooks in concert on BBC4. Must be the 80s when she had massive hair.

She had a fantastic voice and I remember her as a Honky Woman in the 70s with Vinegar Joe. This seems to be her at her peak.

Jamie Reid, the artist best known for creating the Sex Pistols' famous record covers, has died at the age of 76.
Reid designed the artwork for the punk band's releases like God Save the Queen and Anarchy in the UK in the 1970s.

Taylor Swift is total and utter f**king shit.

Discount Prince CDs. You don't have to be rich.

Today's Interesting Fact About The Spice Girls
Though the Girls had long since split, 2001 proved a bumper year as Melanie B, Emma and Victoria each released her solo debut! Each album featured 12 tracks (three of them singles), each album was recorded at London's legendary Abbey Road studios, and each album was total and utter f**king shit.

Today I finally heard a song I've been looking for courtesy of Embrace Radio. It's the only station I listen to now as it has a playlist as varied as Radio 2 and there are some Alan Partridge moments with the DJ. I thought the lyrics were "I am the face" but it's actually "I am the beat". Ironic how I thought it was a lyric from a song by The Who when it has a Tommy quality to it. I had a feeling it would be from the 80s and the video is exactly as I imagined it to be.

The Look - I Am The Beat

Listening to the bookies favourite to win the Mercury music awards on tonight. Loyle Carner - jazz infused , very atmospheric. Along the lines of Dave and Kanye West. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=RDEMuopdNIRrEeU21v85B-GDNQ&playnext=1&si=IxvpV_ICiPdEhXTM

Artic Monkeys get a nod for their new album too.

Quote: Definitely Tarby @ 2nd September 2023, 9:45 PM

Today I finally heard a song I've been looking for courtesy of Embrace Radio. It's the only station I listen to now as it has a playlist as varied as Radio 2 and there are some Alan Partridge moments with the DJ. I thought the lyrics were "I am the face" but it's actually "I am the beat". Ironic how I thought it was a lyric from a song by The Who when it has a Tommy quality to it. I had a feeling it would be from the 80s and the video is exactly as I imagined it to be.

The Look - I Am The Beat

I love that song and the album.

On the single the run out groove continues Beat, beat, beat......

Tears for Fears, Sowing the Seeds of Love. I think someone owes the Beatles a few quid.

I think there's a few thousand bands that probably owe the Beatles a few quid

They've got more than enough quid.

Paul McCartney has more money than me.

Don't you forget about me... Who sang that?

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 12th September 2023, 2:43 PM

Don't you forget about me... Who sang that?

You obviously.

Male fans of 70s/80s star, Joe Jackson, might be interested to read my post of today's date on the Music Hall & Variety thread regarding a forthcoming new album in November and a planned tour next year.

I don't know about female fans because, of course, it's different for girls...